Please Help.... (bit long)

LadyB

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I had a bit of a bad experience on Saturday and was hopeing I might be able to get some advice on what to do. To start from the beginning I have moved my horse from Scotland to Hertfordshire 2 weeks ago. She has been fine to hack out apart from being allot move highly strung and spooky. Which I dont mind coping with as it isnt dangerous. APART FROM SATURDAY!!! Set out on my ride (I normally go on my own but this time my friemd was with me on her bike). She was her usual jogging on spot etc. Anyway we were about 15/20 mins into our hack and I took her for a collected canter. Anyway she spooked at something, spun round and was galloping for home. I honestly couldn't stop her. So i had to bail. She is very fast and fit and was going flat out. Anyway I fell off into nettles (very painful) but thank god i havent broken anything, just quite sore... Anyway more to the point she didnt stop and galloped all the way home, crossing a road. I was obviously very worried about her and ran after her. Also to add a point young children play near her field. Thankfully when I got back to the field she was just very scared, sweaty and shaking. I took saddle off and trotted her up and she was sound. Obviously checked her again yesterday and today and fine so thank the load she isnt hurt. So as you can see due to a) my saftey b) her safety and c) children's. Something HAS to be done. So thinking about getting her another bit. Wanted your advice if you think this is the best idea and what bit to get. She is currently in a very soft bit. A thick rubber snaffle bit. I dont want to do use something too severe but I cannot go through that again as I dont think we will be as "lucky" as we were on Saturday. I was thinking about getting her a 3 ring snaffle and using double reins. That means I can still ride her in a snaffle but have the extra back up needed if required. what do you think?? just to note aswell, she has been ridden in teh snaffle for the 2 years i have had her and been fine, always easy to pull up, galloped her on beaches etc and been fine. I am not sure she is 100% settled at the moment anyway due to move etc. Does anyone have advice on how to make her feel better??

Lou x

the watcher

Visit site
I wouldn't up the bitting, can you do more schooling and less hacking for a bit until she settles into her new environment. the grass has a fair punch in it at the moment and you have changed her grazing and everything else is new too.

i am sure she will be back to her old self, just don't do anything fast(ish) until you sense that she is settling down again

Sparklet

Visit site
I agree with the watcher and would add that when you do begin taking her out again, take her with a companion horse and also keep to the slower gaits until she gains her confidence.

UKa

community.webshots.com
Welcome to Hertfordshire to you and your horse! I agree with the other posts, give her some time to settle before making changes to the bit especially as it sounds you had no problems before with the bit you have been using. Good luck and hope you both will settle in soon!

Dogbetty141

Visit site
I agree im afraid to say with all above that you should go changing her bit as this will upset her more. She needs time to settle into her new home she is now probably out with new horses and is in a completly new environment. Id suggest that you give her a bit of time off maybe a few days to relax either in the field or in her stable with other horses in theirs too.

When I moved my horse he was very scared and nervous but once he had been out and made some new friends he wasnt really as bothered. If you do want to keep hacking her out definately do not ride out on your own.

_April_

Visit site
I totally agree with all that's been said above. 2 weeks isn't really that long for her to settle in, they all take different lengths of time. Just go back to basics and make sure is settled and relaxed at home before taking her out again. I'm sure you will be fine x

Happytohack

Visit site
Agree with all the above. Mares can take a while to settle into new environments with new companions. Also we are having the autumn flush of grass at the moment and a lot of horses are fairly whizzy. Just take her for short walks out for the timebeing and do some schooling in her new home. Don't do any fast work until she has gained some confidence in her new surroundings. Sounds like she was making a run for home in a panic.

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
I thoroughly agree with above comments about use of stronger bits (= stronger problems), and about giving her time to settle.

If you can try and go out calmly with two or three other riders/horses who know the paths there and are relaxed when they're out. It will teach your mare to accept to be confident in her new enviroment.

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking about getting her a 3 ring snaffle and using double reins. That means I can still ride her in a snaffle but have the extra back up needed if required.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a rubber pelham with 2 reins, so the same mouthpiece that she is used too?

I agree with the others about letting them settle and more schooling, but you will need to go out at some point and you need to feel safe. Having the pelham off 2 reins gives you that option. But don't learn to rely on the curb rein otherwise you will start a downward spiral.

OWLIE185

Visit site
Welcome to Hertfordshire - where are you?

I would continue to hack her out but only at a walk for the next 12 weeks (if possible on a circular hack) so that she can calmly get her new bearings. If you need to keep her fitness at trot walk and canter then do it on your own yard.

ginniebee

Visit site
Ditto more or less what the others are saying, really wouldnt change bit just yet, and would give her time to settle into her new surroundings.

Hope it all works out for you x

LadyB

Visit site
You are absolutely right, I am going to do allot more schooling in her field, and let her settle in. See I think I have been giving her time to settle as she has only been getting ridden at the weekend, and it has been some really nice happy hacking. I have been lunging her during the week in her field. This is also due to it being dark earlier. But as you said I am going to need to feel like I have back up if I need it. And I definitely will not rely on the stronger rein as she doesnt need anything more than her rubber snaffle most of the time.. I do ride with very light hands and the last thing I would want to do is use the stronger rein all the time. Thankyou so much for the better suggestion of bit!!!
Lou x

LadyB

Visit site
Hiya,

I am near Ware, are you near to me?? Not got own arena or anything but I will be sticking to walking for a while, maybe a few short trots. It is a chance for us to both build up our confidence again!!!!

LadyB

Visit site
What is the difference between a rubber pelham and a rubber snaffle with three rings?? Sorry if I am being stupid... not that clued up on bits and want to make sure I make the right choice when the time comes to have the extra back up...