Please help - getting really p'd off!

HorseyTee

Visit site
After some advice please.
I have my horses in a sole use field, surrounded by post and rail with thick thorny hedges, and electric fence to keep them away from the gate...which I have covered with barbed wire. There are also signs up warning of electric and that horses kick and bite (they don't, but you know).
However...I am getting really annoyed because someone keeps cutting off the barbed wire to climb over the gate and is clearly feeding my horses! Then leaving kitchen roll and foil all over the field!!!!
I have 2 lami prone so have to be so careful with them. How dare someone just damage my fencing and climb over repeatedly to feed them?!

Any tips or advice on anything I can do to try and stop this?
I feel if someone is that brazen to cut my fence and leave their litter in my field they probably won't take notice of additional signage?

Shay

Visit site
Can you manage a CCTV camera? Or even a dummy with signs? Although trespass is a civil offense criminal damage is not.

Have you reported the damage to Police? They might not be interested at this point but once you have CCTV as well they might take notice.

HorseyTee

Visit site
Thanks.
We don't have electric, so a camera wouldn't be feasible?
But I could electrify the barbed wire somehow.
The gate is a metal 5 bar so electric wouldnt work on the gate itself as it obviously goes into the ground.
But a strip of barbed wire somehow electrified could work?

Hollychops

Visit site
Or even the electric fence (on tall posts) above the top of the gate so they can see it. Put a sign up and if they get zapped, they get zapped. You can buy dummy cameras quite cheaply and only you will know they arent switched on and recording. As others have said, report it to the police every time. they wont do anything, but you will have evidence of frequency and whats happened for when you do catch someone.

Good luck, i do feel for you.

meleeka

Visit site
Thanks.
We don't have electric, so a camera wouldn't be feasible?
But I could electrify the barbed wire somehow.
The gate is a metal 5 bar so electric wouldnt work on the gate itself as it obviously goes into the ground.
But a strip of barbed wire somehow electrified could work?
I accidentally had my tape touching my metal gate and it definitely did give me a good zap!

You can get wildlife cameras that work on batteries. That and a couple of dummy ones high up along with signs would help.

HorseyTee

Visit site
Thanks.

I am so frustrated at the sheer cheek of it!
How dare they think it's ok?
And if my boys get poorly I will be fuming. I just want to be able to sit at work not worrying about their safety and if they are ok.
What if they eat the foil? I have 0 idea what they are being fed...could be anything!

DD

Visit site
can you move elsewhere ? if not then elec tape across the gate, lots of it and a camera. or can to stay hidden for as long as it takes to catch whoever it is? then give them a right old rollicking.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
The concern is that someone is coming equipped to cut your barbed wire and enter your field. You don't know what they are doing when no one is watching and it leaves them very vulnerable. A livery yard with someone living on site would offer some peace of mind.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We have wifi camera's in the fields, they have rechargable batteries and we have a wi-fi dongle things, which is charged by a solar system (which we got for lights in the stables). We have four cameras and they are discreet enough to hide. I can see the pictures on an app on my phone. The cameras came from Amazon.

HorseyTee

Visit site
We have wifi camera's in the fields, they have rechargable batteries and we have a wi-fi dongle things, which is charged by a solar system (which we got for lights in the stables). We have four cameras and they are discreet enough to hide. I can see the pictures on an app on my phone. The cameras came from Amazon.

Oh do you have a link for them please?

I think using tall fence posts to erect a higher fence to the gate and using barbed wire and electrifiying it will be worth a go.

vhf

Visit site
Have a plan of what you're going to say to them if you catch them on your day off, so you are prepared. No point being so incensed you don't reason with them, or end up being made out to be the one in the wrong!! They may be misguided and friendly, they may be idiots, or they may be malicious, you don't actually know yet (though you can guess...). Also, check they don't think they are on some kind of right of way campaign - have the evidence it's private land ready? And make sure someone knows where you are in case they are on the malicious side of idiot.
Good luck, this would utterly incense me!

HEM

Visit site
Sounds like you need to go all in! barbed wire, electify it, anti climb paint and CCTV (even if they're just dumbies)

Don't forget to put warning signs for everything! You don't want to find your uninvited visitor being able to make a claim against you because they got hurt in the process!!

I would be cautious of confronting the person/s, they have obviously come prepared to cut the barbed wire, you don't know what else they have come prepared for!

ETA: I thought this is the case... you have to be super careful with barbed wire https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q78.htm

Last edited:

sport horse

Visit site
Can you put up a sign PRIVATE PROPERTY - KEEP OUT on the gate. Plus a PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE HORSES - THEY ARE UNDER VETERINARY CARE AND IT COULD MAKE THEM ILL. If it is just thoughtless idiots that should be enough to stop them and is pretty cheap and easy to do. If it continues then you have to take more drastic action - like 240 volts through the gate but then you would have to be prepared to spend the rest of your life in HMP!!!!

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
Sounds like you need to go all in! barbed wire, electify it, anti climb paint and CCTV (even if they're just dumbies)

Don't forget to put warning signs for everything! You don't want to find your uninvited visitor being able to make a claim against you because they got hurt in the process!!

I would be cautious of confronting the person/s, they have obviously come prepared to cut the barbed wire, you don't know what else they have come prepared for!

ETA: I thought this is the case... you have to be super careful with barbed wire https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q78.htm

Re the barbed wire, op could say that its is to keep the horses in the field if they get through the fence that holds them back from the gate. After all op has an obligation to keep her stock contained.

HEM

Visit site
Re the barbed wire, op could say that its is to keep the horses in the field if they get through the fence that holds them back from the gate. After all op has an obligation to keep her stock contained.

Yes, I was just saying you need to careful that it can't come back and bite you.

"There are several laws on the matter one of which is the Occupiers Liability Act 1984 which basically states that anyone who owns, or controls property has a legal duty of care to protect people on the property from foreseeable harm. This duty extends to people on the property without permission – including burglars and vandals. "

"The Criminal Justice Act 2003 provides some protection to householders. For instance if a trespasser suffers an injury during the course of a crime, for which they are subsequently convicted for, they will only be able to sue the occupier or landowner with the court’s permission. If it can be shown that there were adequate warning signs and the deterrent was clearly visible this is unlikely to be given. "

https://www.razorwireuk.com/faq/

The-Bookworm

Visit site
Actually the police might be interested. When I had issues at one place they were.
Whoever these people are, they are going equipped with tools to cut through wire.
In my case they were damaging property and we did sit and wait for them. I caught up with them one day and they turned out to be kids. Keep a note of the time of day this is happening.

Another thing to do is to lay fresh sand/ earth by the gate. You will get very nice footprints that you can then photograph.

Last edited:

HorseyTee

Visit site
Hmm even if the barbed wire and electric fencing is inside my perimeter?
Why does it always seem like the law protects the criminals?

I have printed and laminated a sign saying private land. Please do not feed horses. They are on medication and you are making them ill.
May not work but worth a go.

Nasicus

Visit site
Wildlife Camera for sure. Works on batteries, usually motion activated. You'll have photos of the culprit and probably evidence of them cutting through your barbed wire.

HorseyTee

Visit site
Thank you all.

I think my plan is going to be, pop up this sign I've made. Screw electric posts to the gate to make a higher barrier and electrify that. And pop on a bit of burglar paint on the fence. I will look into a little battery or solar camera that comes on when motion activated also. If anybody can recommend one that would be great.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Another who thinks a wildlife camera is worth getting they are not expensive.
We have have in one in our woods although the best fun we have with was watching what the dogs get up to when we where out .
Just get on the internet and buy one.
This beyond annoying and it was a big issue when I lived with my parents .
People just won’t stop .
But feeding and then littering is a new low .
I got my wildlife camera off the internet I just did a search there’s masses of choice and price points .

HorseyTee

Visit site
Thanks.

Yes it is the fact that the last 2 days our wire has been cute so they can gain access. That is beyond rude.
And then leaving litter all in the field that the horses could eat...what is wrong with people?
A sense of self entitlement that they can do as they please despite the fact it is clearly trespass. The fact they are coming with the appropriate tools to cut the wire. And can clearly tell we are trying to keep them out. I just can't fathom it.

HorseyTee

Visit site
It's the tools to cut the wire that would mean intent.
Why else would you have wire cutters on your person otherwise?

This is the thing...the obviously came and saw we have put up barbed wire and extra fence...then must have came back with the cutters.
Who'd be that desperate to feed someone's horses? It is weird.