Please help - getting really p'd off!

whiteflower

Visit site
Not very long, about 3 months? It was very overgrown before but now has short grass where its been grazed down.

I guessed that may have been the case. It may well have been a 'hang out' from before u had it and it was overgrown and more less visible and it's just continued on as a known area to go. I would definitely speak to police, get a wildlife camera and make it as inaccessible as possible. The harder you make access the sooner they will sod off and find somewhere easier hopefully

HorseyTee

Visit site
The foil looks like it has a residue...almost like grease from meat or something?
I have used my poop scoop to pick it up, not handled it at all.
There are no signs anywhere on the grass or that I have noticed on any of the rubbish of any burn marks, no sign of anything else either at all. Just scattered rubbish each morning and the fence cut to gain access.
It is a really large area with trees and bushes that the horses don't have access to, surely drug users would tuck themselves away there rather than somewhere horses could approach them?

The-Bookworm

Visit site
Eh my money on drugs. Why they are choosing your field who knows.
People drink and do drugs in public parks, so some don't care about being seen.

HorseyTee

Visit site
Hmm I don't know whether I feel better that the horses possibly aren't being fed...or to feel even more weirded out that someone is possibly doing drugs.

I should have my motion camera by the weekend so will discreetly pop it to get good shots of who and what is going on.

whiteflower

Visit site
The foil looks like it has a residue...almost like grease from meat or something?
I have used my poop scoop to pick it up, not handled it at all.
There are no signs anywhere on the grass or that I have noticed on any of the rubbish of any burn marks, no sign of anything else either at all. Just scattered rubbish each morning and the fence cut to gain access.
It is a really large area with trees and bushes that the horses don't have access to, surely drug users would tuck themselves away there rather than somewhere horses could approach them?

The 'residue' may well be where they are heating the drugs on the foil. Definately needs to be reported to police especially as they are causing criminal damage to the gate

HorseyTee

Visit site
I am starting to think that I might have to find somewhere else.
I really don't want to uproot them again and definitely won't get what we have now for the price we pay.
But it isn't worth it if I'm going to be constantly worried or they end up coming to some harm.
Y/o who I rent it off said I have to give 3 months notice so I wouldn't be able to afford to pay 3 months for this and a new place at the same time. I'd have to sit out the 3 months first.

HorseyTee

Visit site
No. I am seperate from the main yard so don't ever see any liveries or the y/o but she seems nice.
She checked the boys for me yesterday and said all was ok and that she will go over again later and check.
I'll be up there shortly before work and again after work this afternoon.

windand rain

Visit site
I could lend you the ultimate deterrent but He might just kill them. I would love someone like that to meet my dartmoor if they tried to get him to move away he would attack them. One reason everyone is verbally warned when they visit. He should have been shot years ago but he is the perfect companion horse as he doesnt mind being left on his own

Nasicus

Visit site
Have you contacted the police yet? Give them a ring on the non-emergency number and they might be able to give you some advice at the very least.

BOWS28

Visit site
Please please please report this to the police. My best friend keeps her mares in a field on the outskirts of the village. The padlocks were cut off multiple times a week, rubbish left everywhere etc etc. She didn't report it until she had to have a vet out to remove part of a broken beer bottle from her 5 year olds wither...

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
Report to the police, save the rubbish, take photos and approach the YO asap. Surely they would understand if you felt your horses were at risk that you had to move.

I couldn't leave mine there knowing there was something odd going on overnight.

Hopefully the wildlife camera will help solve what is happening in the meantime - I'd not tell the YO its gone in though just in case! (I'm paranoid like that)

Could you get a second one to record from a different angle?

HorseyTee

Visit site
Little update.

First of all...this morning the field appeared unvisited. No rubbish or anything. Hoping that means no visitors.

Secondly. This afternoon I popped to check the boys again and met with the y/o.
We had a discussion and she has offered me a different part of the farm. It is slightly more acres than I have now and a little more expensive.
However it is on the other side of the farm with no surrounding public footpaths or anything. So pretty much impossible for anybody to see there are horses.

I am going to have a chat with o/h as he pays as well, so going to discuss with him.
But it seems like a good option without having to completely uproot the boys.

Y/o was really kind and understanding and was trying to help with options but even she thought I'd pretty much done all I could to deter people at the current field.

Clodagh

Visit site
Little update.

First of all...this morning the field appeared unvisited. No rubbish or anything. Hoping that means no visitors.

Secondly. This afternoon I popped to check the boys again and met with the y/o.
We had a discussion and she has offered me a different part of the farm. It is slightly more acres than I have now and a little more expensive.
However it is on the other side of the farm with no surrounding public footpaths or anything. So pretty much impossible for anybody to see there are horses.

I am going to have a chat with o/h as he pays as well, so going to discuss with him.
But it seems like a good option without having to completely uproot the boys.

Y/o was really kind and understanding and was trying to help with options but even she thought I'd pretty much done all I could to deter people at the current field.

That sounds great.

HorseyTee

Visit site
Well it is getting to the point really that we will have to move them anyway as I am worried they just won't be safe no matter what we do.

So this seems the ideal option.
Stay on the same farm but somewhere more tucked away.
It is quite a significant amount more expensive though. But still cheaper than we have paid in the past so I feel still a decent deal really for what we will have.

The-Bookworm

Visit site
Why is it more because of the extra acres?
Can you reduce that and then it's the same money or is there facilities?

I ended up moving from where I was. It lost the secure peaceful feeling I had. I didn't move far and the cost was same maybe more and I gained a hacking buddy.

HorseyTee

Visit site
Ye more because of the extra acreage.
She wants to let it as one lot rather than splitting.
Cost is per horse too so wouldn't help to share with someone else with a neddy or two.