PLEASE help i don't know what to do.....

MillionDollar

Visit site
ok long story, but short stroy is i really want to buy a Welsh Section D colt (6 months old).

Hes really well bred, by Danaway Flash Jack, his full brother, a yearling who i wanted to buy last year, was Reserve Champion at the Royal this year as well as numerous other wins.

I don't know whether to go for it or not. Also hes in Kent which is quite a way from me, but not too much of a problem, but do you normally get a 6 month old vetted?
confused.gif

Please give me some advice.

Tia

Visit site
I don't have any horses vetted and would never consider having a weanling vetted - any concerns and I walk away; haven't bought a duffer so far.
cool.gif

With 6 month olds there is the risk that a regular vetting would not be able to highlight problems as he is still growing. You could go for a vet check though - blood, conformation, eyes, heart etc. Speak to your vet and he will be able to advise you best.
smile.gif

calon

Visit site
danaways are super we did really well with the one we had he was a stallion danaway calon lan by penal calon lan out of danaway danielle ,he had the best temprement .good luck with your buy i would go for it amd forget the vetting just have a quick check as tia said if your concerned

pottamus

Visit site
I tend not to vet, especially if buying from a reputable stud from good blood stock too. Go for it!!! It is something I plan to do...but not for a long time yet as my Sec D is only 9 and just getting started with life! I would not hesitate from that background...price being right and all that!
Let us know how you get on.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Vetting of a foal is really difficult because they are still growing, but they will check the eye sight, heart etc. If he has a heart murmur for instance they should be able to detect this, unless I was paying lots of money I do not think I would bother.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I wouldnt have a foal vetted, there's nothing really to vet!

Think long and hard before doing this, guaranteed if you go to view it you will fall in love, so think before you go. You have another 4 years of costs and hard work before you can ride it.

Good luck!

annaellie

Visit site
My filly who i have had since she was born needed a mortallity cert which is very similar to basic vetting that was for insurance and I found most companies will not insure them under 1 and under without a basic vetting.

M_G

Visit site
Go for it I think the most you could ask a vet to do is check heart and eyes not much else he can check (I dont think) it is 4 years of hard work but worth it IMO you will have the best bond with him
grin.gif

Good luck and I await the piccies

Patches

Visit site
When I bought my weanling last year I had to have a BVA Mortality Certificate before the insurance company would insure him.

Just a routine check of general health and conformation. Eyes, heart, lungs etc.

Cost me £50 including call out.