please help me - crazy new horse!!!

jennystreek

Visit site
I bought a new 6yr old chesnut mare out of horse and hound 3 weeks ago, done 3 intros and won 2 of them. very scopey jump, and dressage scores of late 20s/early 30s

When i tried her out, she was good in school and to jump. however when i tried to hack her out she napped with me and was doing mini rears to avoid going forward. the seller told me to trot her through it, and then she was fine, if not a little tense. the seller told me that she had started napping since people had been trying her out (i was 4th person to try her). however, decided to risk it and put an offer in, and she was mine.

since having her, she rears up and spins when i try and ride her past her field (shared with other mares) to get to the school, and then looks for things to spook at. however, when i have her full concentration and really ride her forward i can get on top of this. she has also recently started rearing and spinnning in the school with me, plus bucking. its like being on a brucking bonco at a fairground ride!! this lasts for about 5/10 mins and then she works beautifully.

but my instructor rode her for me today, and she was dangerous. she stuck her in draw reins to try and keep her head down, and with this she just went up vertically. however, after riding through this she schooled nicely.

i've never experienced this with a horse before and not sure how to deal with her. im thinking now that i should almost try to "ignore" her tantrums more and try to ride stronger through it, as i sense that if i smack her when she does it she gets worse and worse and fights back. she hasnt got me off yet (i did once last 40 mins on the buckaroo at a fairground!!), but if she carries on like this it is getting risky.

have had teeth , saddle checked etc

help!!
confused.gif

Caritas

Visit site
It sounds as though you know exactly what to do. I once bout a 5 year old warmblood who used to do similar. You are best to try and just ride her positively forwards when she does this, but remember your own safety. I bet you sort this horse in no time. Persiverance and knowing that she cannot get away with it will hopefully work in the end, I think as you said if you smack her you will just have more of a fight on your hands. If she comes out one day walks to the school nicely and behaves keep it very short and sweet. Im sure she'll learn. Good luck!!

Natalie_H

Visit site
I had the exact same thing with by TB when I first got him 3 years ago. My instructor told me that because he is so bright I shouldn't fight with him as it makes the situation worse. He used to rodeo & nap & refuse to walk past the gateway. We got through it with strong, firm riding & by sitting as quietly as possible until he stopped jumping around. He would soon stop when he realised he wasn't get a rise out of me, then I would just ask him to move forwards again. I guess it kind of depends on the severity of the bad behaviour - but it worked for him - now he is good as gold!

leanne123

Visit site
my horse is tense when you first get on him, but he dosen't buck or rear so not as bad as your mare.
he too has had his back and teeth and saddle cheaked all are fine.
for the past week since i moved him to a new yard hes come on in leaps and bounds. when you first get on him (unless someone holds him) he rushes forwards, hes very sensative on his sides so you have to be very careful with your leg.also if you hold him strongley he fights you by shaking his head and snatching at the reins side stepping and swinging around.
i've found that for the first 5 mins if you sit quite and let him go forwards and don't interfear with him he settles well and the will work with you.
hes a nervey type, but with the hours i've spent with him 1 to 1 this week hes started to trust me more, a few people that have been watching our progress have also said how much more relaxed and happy in himself hes becoming.
i do think hes had a bad past, hes totally afraid of whips, i would be onto a losing battle trying to get his head down with draw reins as hed flip and both of us would go down.
so really i've been leaving his mouth well alone and just keeping him going forwards, i will work on his outline at a later date.
its really frustrating to me at times as i know most of the time hes trying it on, but never once have i shown any anger to to him not even a raised voice and hes starting to respect me more now.
i wish you all the best with your mare, you'll get there in the end and then will feel truely rewarded.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
She may also get better as she settles in, I'm told that mares can take 2 years to settle well. She may be feeling tense 'cos she has left her friends and is making new ones so she doesn't want to go away from them. We have four mares and they have taken various lengths of time to settle, from apparently 15 mins to 18 monts

lottie1990

www.myspace.com
I would try a routine, say everyday ride down to the school, work her in and maybe some jumping, and ignore her and jsut keep working, when i first had my pony he was nappy, he was very stiff to turn and went to the gate alot when i was in my school, but when i made him do what i wanted everyday he soon just gave in and listened to me more.

I say just keep practicing on her, making her do what you want, your the boss!

Just watch out she doesnt get too dangerous with the rearing vertically, if that did happen, i would consider sending her to be re schooled.

Happytohack

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

When i tried her out, she was good in school and to jump. however when i tried to hack her out she napped with me and was doing mini rears to avoid going forward. the seller told me to trot her through it, and then she was fine, if not a little tense. the seller told me that she had started napping since people had been trying her out

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless you know the seller well and can trust their word, I would guess that the napping is established behaviour. You sound as though you are doing the right things - riding forward positively and being very consistent. I would agree that using a whip will probably make things worse. Mares are entire animals (like stallions) and as she settles down and builds a partnership with you I am sure you will be fine.

_jetset_

Visit site
Oh no... what a horrible thing to happen. You find that they are as good as gold for the first few days while they are still wary of their new surroundings, but can turn into little demons the more confident they get.

She is probably just trying you out, but you sound as though you have a lot of help there which is brilliant. I know I am stating the obvious, but have you had her back and teeth checked? Just thought you could eliminate absolutely everything before you continue with the work you are doing.

It does sound like bad napping to me, and I doubt this has only started since people started trying her. This sounds like quite a progressive napping (just because she does it everytime) so I think the owner was telling a few porky pies.

I agree with things other people on here have said. Get her into a routine so she knows that when she walks past that field she is going to work and that you will not let her get away with not doing. Is she turned out with the mares?

Rebecca

lisan

pets.webshots.com
My orange mare was lovley when I first brought her home, but we have had some horrendous napping sessions, vertical rears, running backwards, not moving. Rode strongly and rode her through, firstly on hacks leaving the yard at trot, or following a cyclist!! Now she is great to hack alone or in company, she also has her moments in the school (does'nt buck), more strops but they can be worked through.

I also have her on Hormonal Mare this year, which has made a big difference, I would now say she is 'sensitive, talented, with a tendancy to over react'!

If you are confident enough, I would continue to work through as she sounds very talented, and is also probably testing you too!

runaway

Visit site
My dad tried a gelding that an injured event rider was selling. He was young and the rider had not got the time to work him anymore. He'd been tried by numerous people the rider told us and she said he was starting to get worse with every new person!
shocked.gif
My dad not one to pass up the chance of a ride and having the stickability of glue got on in the field and started to work the horse. It went half way down the field and then went verticle. My dad's not stupid and slide down the horses side to safety but as soon as the gelding had all four feet on the floor dad was back on board.

Basically the gelding was having a good bash at trying it on with every new rider and testing how far he could go. My dad has since ridden numerous horses for people who've "tried" it on and he is just firm with them and pushes them through their efforts!

I would suggest the same with your mare. Ride positively and firmly, like you have been doing, letting her have a "reward" when you feel she has relaxed and responded to you as you've asked. I really think from what you've put she is trying it on. Keep going with her, as long as you are both safe, and given a bit of time so that she can settle into her new home I bet you reap the rewards.
wink.gif
Best luck and stay calm
smile.gif

dieseldog

Visit site
I think you've been done. That horse hasn't learnt how to nap with you it sounds like it was very good at doing it already. If a horse is honest and straight it wouldn't nap no matter who was sat on it. It may go round like a donkey not in an outline but it wouldn't nap. So I don't believe their story at all.

Depends how much you like her, and much of a fight you want to go thru everytime you ride her.

I feel for you, and good luck

jennystreek

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Is she turned out with the mares?

she is turned out with 7 other mares (unfortunately my yard doesnt do individual turnout), but before she came to me she was turned out on her own. i do think she has bonded with the other mares a bit too much to my liking - would prefer her to bond to me!!!

Thanks for all your advice, i hacked her in company today and she had one little tantrum going past a jet spray (car washer thing) but apart form that was good. Im not giving up on her that easily!!!