I am hoping to get some input and advice to help me narrow down a suitable stallion to breed my 15hh Connemara X Welsh mare to. I have spent a ton of time trowelling the web looking at various stallions but still feel a bit lost.
My mare has a suspensory leg injury and I want to give her a long time off to heal as she is only 5 years old. I would like to breed her this year to give me a competition horse in the future. What I want to achieve from the foal:
1. Height. I would like the foal to be at least 15.2hh.
2. Stamina, enough for eventing.
3. I would ideally like an eventing horse. However, many of the stallions I have looked at are great cross country but their record shows that they have fences down in the showjumping quite often. Given that there are not that many eventing competitions where I live each year I would also want the horse to be quite a good and clean show jumper as I will likely do quite a bit of that at other times during the year.
4. Straight leg action to compensate for my mares higher knees. Good movement / paces.
5. Very good confirmation overall.
6. A good mind and temperament. I am an amateur rider and do not want to produce anything that is too sharp to deal with in the future.
7. My mare has a great temperament and is a quick learner.
8. I need a stallion that has frozen seamen available for AI.
9. Wondering if I am best to stick with a thoroughbred cross or is anyone has experience with other Connemara x that produce good eventer / show jumpers?
10. I am also a bit wary of the chestnut stallions as I am not too keen to get a chestnut filly.
11. My mare has 7 & ¾ bone at 15hh. Photo of her attached or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/92060561@N05/8367877811/in/photostream
On the eventing side I have looked at and narrowed down to the following stallions in no real order:
1. Jumbo (seems to have produced eventers and show jumpers but wonder if the foal might be a bit heavy?)
2. Stormhill Miller
3. Up With The Lark
4. Mr. Big Cat
5. Handsome Stranger
6. Honour Cruise
7. Wickstead Didgeridoo
8. Brief Encounter
9. Primitive Faerie Tale
10. Kings Composser
11. Primitive Academy
12. Wish Upon a Star
13. Weston Justice
Any thoughts on the above list?
I do not know the show jumping stallions too well but am open to considering a stallion that produces good jumpers / eventers if you have suggestions to look at that would match well with my mare. I would appreciate input.