please help me

chunk

Visit site
i am currently at school, i have to make my options choices tomorrow, theese are for my GCSEs i want to work with horses but my dad says i cant i am still very interested in the idea and wondering if anyone knows a helpfull subject for working with horses E.G equine vet or nurse , or even a horseriding instructor

your time for reading this is very much appreciated.

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
I think at GCSE it is good to demonstrate a wide base of subjects. If you want to do veterinary science at University you would be best to do sciences, maths and English language. Computer studies (or whatever it is called) is always useful. I would also say if there is a subject you particularly enjoy then kjeep that going to to keep your options open at A level.

How many do you have to pick?

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
Do you have to do any compulsory ones? I know at my school maths, english language, english literature, RE, computing and French were compulsory and then we had to choose 6 others, I did geography, history, cookery, biology, chemistry and physics.

I did chemisty and biology A level and english and maths AS level.

From there I did an HND in Equine Studies which eventually led to a job as an equine veterinary nurse.

Jemayni

Visit site
Hello! Firstly if you want a better response put this post into careers, because there are more people in their that can answer you. To be honest what you take at GCSE is largely irrelevant, to what subjects/career you have. If you want to be a vet or a nurse, you need a strong science base (and top grades for a vet) but nothing additional to your compulsory subjects. If your school does rural studies GCSE or something like, this may be useful. In terms of riding instructor, again it doesn't really matter, PE would help you to improve your riding skills and teach you to ride under test situations, I suppose.

Basically just get as good grades as possible in core subjects -Science, Maths and English. Particularly science, and dont worry about it too much, as you are still very young and your options at GCSE dont really have much effect on your career anyways!

Hollyhorse

Visit site
I would have to agree that at GCSE the choices are not so relevant to your career path. Sciences are important if you want to be a vet or similar but nowadays they are compulsory. PE is always a good one. I did PE for GCSE and A-Levels and am now doing Sport Science at university with the intention of being a professional rider after graduating. Lots of my peers are planning to be PE teachers and go into coaching so PE is helpful as teaches coaching aspects and training/fitness.
Would agree that you should aim to do as well as possible in the sciences. Then if you want to continue them at A-level you can easily. Just don't limit yourself!

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
My advice is to do the subjects you enjoy and are good at, as good grades in any subject are better than rubbish grades in the ones that may help. I you are going to train further then it would be best to enjoy learning, which is definitely easier if you are good at a subject.