Please help! Overrun with moss

hobgoblin

Visit site
Help! We are being overrun with moss!
I have about 7 acres of grazing between 3 horses and 1 pony. They are out 24/7 through the summer and stabled at night from this weekend.
We are on clay soil so through the winter if it is wet they have to have limited turnout or be turned out in the school , not ideal but anyone else who has the scourge of clay soil will know what I mean
The fields are split up into 4 paddocks to rest/rotate and fertilised every spring and weedkilled in spring and autumn however...... We have loads of moss which started creeping in a couple of years ago.
I have spent days and days harrowing but to no avail and it's getting worse and worse!
Any gurus help will be greatly appreciated thankyou

Sheep

Visit site
Found this:

http://mistralni.co.uk/articles/?p=475

Might be of use. There is a section on grazing land. Needs to be rested for 4 weeks post application. Might work for you if your land is sectioned off.

Think my mum used a product like this (intended for domestic use on gardens) and the results were quite staggering.

http://www.grassclippings.co.uk/gra...ow-to-control-moss-with-sulphate-of-iron.html

More general info about causes, etc.

Might be worthwhile getting in touch with a local farmer about it? They will probably know safe ways to treat it. If you have a problem, there are bound to be others nearby who also do.

Last edited:

Fii

Visit site
You need to scarify the ground to get rid of the moss, you shouldnt need to put any sort of weed killer down.
You may find good results with harrowing, but ask a friendly farmer as they will know the best machine for the job.

DTV

Visit site
Lawn sand,but i don 't know if it is suitable for grazed areas.Best check or someone on here will put you or me right.Does work fast though,48 hours,goes black,scrape it up.

Fii

Visit site
Also you may need to resead afterwards, giveing the paddocks a proper rest and not allowing them to become poached, or eaten right down to the ground will help to stop moss growing in the first place.
So a good regeme of rest, topping and harrowing along with the grazeing should help, some people will also top dress the pasture with fertaliser, but this is expensive.