Please help...should I be worried??????

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
Hi guys

Cut a long story short, ive decided to give my mare away. After a long hard event career it has just taken so much out of her. For a long time now Ive known it was time for her to live a quieter life, gentle hacking etc. So I decided it would be best if I found a loving new home for her. The money isnt an issue for me, its finding her the perfect home. Because of her limitations with what she can/ cant do I didnt think I would get any money for her, hense why I advertised as free to a good home. Well, I advertised her last night and literally have been bombarded with texts/email/calls about her. I spoke to one lady who seemed very genuine and asked if she could come down and see her tomorrow, so I said yes etc, just recieved a text from her asking if she could come saturday instead, and could she bring the trailer if she liked her, she could take her that day :confused::confused: is it me or is that just a bit fishy???? Then I recieved an email from a lady warning me about people pretending to love the horses etc so they can sell them on or send them to the meat man for money :eek::eek: Im so worried now, and im not sure what to do?? Should I advertise her for money so I dont attract any weirdos?

Anyone else been in the same situation?

Thanks guys

icestationzebra

Visit site
Why don't you loan her or put the word out to see if people need a companion - that way you can do your best to ensure she is safe and well looked after. Sorry to be harsh but you mad to advertise her as free - chances are she'll be at the sales by the end of next week :(

ihatework

Visit site
Yes you should be worried.

If this horse has given you many years of good service and pleasure then the least you owe her is a safe future.

IMHO you should loan this horse instead of giving away. Do background checks on anyone interested and send her local enough so that you can check up on her regularly to start with and obviously put a contract in place.
It may be that a few months down the line you have found her the perfect home and that it would then be okay to sign ownership over.

Leg_end

Visit site
As above, yes be very worried. Loan her out and then it can always be with a view to buying in a few months if both parties agree.

Alibear

Visit site
She's put the work in for you now you have to put the work in for her.
She goes with a contract loan or not.
You go in person yourself and check where she will be staying , see if you can at least talk to the yard owner or someone the new loaner/owner knows to get a reference.
Make sure you have full contact details for the new owner/loaner and check they work before she goes anywhere.
Check on her often for the first weeks/months.

j1ffy

Visit site
Glad to hear that you've done that - my old horse was given away as a companion and found a few years later very run down at a dealer's yard, advertised as 8 years younger than he was :(

Luckily a lovely lady bought him and tracked me down via his freeze mark - he is absolutely spoilt by her and has a great life but he should never have ended up like that in the first place. I would never give a horse away now!!

measles

Visit site
Wholeheartedly agree with the others. I was in your position with an older mare we had some years ago. We had many people wanting I buy her for a negligible amount but I felt I owed her a safe retirement, crucially, with someone I knew or could have multiple references for. Anyone genuine will be happy to provide these.

It can work out well - our girl spent the last 13 years of her life in the same loan home where the woman treated her as her own.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Bluntly get a grip she has served you well do you really think it might be a good idea to put her in a trailer and wave her off down the road with someone you have met that day.
If you are going to loan her you must try to find someone near to you so you can keep a check on her you need to vet the home and get and check references before you let her go .
But then I think you know that already from the tone of your post there are some terrible people out there beware.

Goldenstar

Visit site
OP so sorry did not notice your second post ask round friends and put the word out try to find someone you know or someone you know knows well.
Good luck

flyingfeet

Visit site
Trouble with free to a good home, is that its at least £100 profit for scumbags wanting a trip to potters!

Hope you manage to find her somewhere nice via word of mouth, but check out the "friends" credentials!!

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
how old is she??

if she is in her late teens - you'd be better giving her a year in the field in retirement then putting her down rather than giving her away to an unknown person

same with loaning - unless you know them or she is going locally you'd have to be very careful with who you choose

I have a lovely old boy at mine just now (loaned) to play with (v good dressage horse) so you can find a lovely home - just be patient and definitely via word of mouth.

Walrus

Visit site
Think you're doing the right thing by loaning instead of giving away. A friend of mine loaned out her horse as a light hack, several years later she signed him over to his loaner for a nominal £1 "sale" to just finalise everything as the loaner totally treated him as her own. And still sends updates now :D.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I loaned out a retired event horse (he had been leased as a schoolmaster prior to that) but we had a contract, saw the horse regularly for a couple of years then got updates after I moved away, had known the person for years and had taught her, had veto over all important decisions and generally stayed very involved. Even then, there was conflict towards the end if the horse's life about how much medical intervention he should have and who would foot the bills. (I actually DIDN'T want the loaner to do and pay for as much as she wanted to, as I didn't think it was in his best interest.)

I have heard so many horror stories of really nice horses ending up in trouble. A genuine person will not mind you staying involved, so long as you understand that they may not do everything exactly the way you would - so long as the horse is well cared for, that's the main thing.

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
I'd loan her out.
We loaned one of our old polo pony mares out to a hacking home with a bit of hunting. The girl is lovely and the horse is looked after like a queen! Its great because I can go and see her whenever I want, if I or the loanee are no longer happy she comes home to us. No worries about her being sold for meat.
Ours also isn't worth a lot, but I think you'd be much safer to loan her with a good contract.
I know she is genuine as she doesn't mind us dropping in without asking, I keep in touch reguarly and its just been so much easier than having to sell her. We have owned her for 14 years and it wouldn't be fair to sell her.

Llanali

Visit site
Hi,

I don't know where you are, or more details about the mare, but if you might be interest in discussing a loan, would you Pm me please? Thanks :)