PLEASE HELP - surface for walker

stoneybroke

Visit site
Thanks for the great advice on walkers. That bit of the purchase is now in-hand but I am more confused than ever what to do about the surface. Horses will all be unshod, youngsters and mares etc. Budget is limited so I now need to make the flooring choice and find the best solution for young joints coupled with not enough funds.

Really I would like a surface and have been recommended sand and fibre but am worried about tracking, how much manual raking will be required and the walking in of muck. I cannot afford pavers/rubber bricks so it really is a surface or mats.

All experiences gratefully received :)

Sportznight

Visit site
Surface every time! Rubber has been proven to have undesirable effects, in that it holds the foot as it is placed down, whereas with a surface that foot has the ability to naturally move slightly. All of our walkers are now surfaced and all of them are now 6 horse or bigger - in fact, we are likely to be selling 2 of them and putting in another 12 horse one - the bigger the circle, the better!

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
Mine is on hardcore/tarmac chip yard with a thin layer of sand on top/mixed in, which makes for a gravelly surface. Super cheap to make and very easy to maintain. It has just the right balance between give and grip to avoid slipping without unnecessarily overloading joints.