PLEASE HELP! Thinking of going back to uni to do veterinary science

_jetset_

Visit site
After a really shitty piece of news this afternoon I have realised I still regret not doing science A-Levels and doing what I have always wanted - becoming a vet!

Having looked at a few courses on the internet it seems that if you are a mature student you don't have to have science A-Levels. I have:
A - History
B - English Literature
C - Spanish
B - General Studies

Then in GCSEs I have:
A* - Spanish
A* - Geography
A - Chemistry
A - History
A - English Literature
A - English Language
A - Maths
A - Food Technology
B - Physics
B - Biology

Does anyone know whether I would even be considered as a mature student. I would really appreciate any advice as at this moment in time I am at the lowest I have ever ever been. I never knew I could feel the way I am feeling. Just keep crying realising what a bloody mess I have made of my life! And I am only 23...

Rebecca

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
It's not too late to change your life at all at 23, but you are going to have to go to night school to work on those science based subjects. My son was planning to be a vet before changing his mind towards the air industry, but he took physics/biologymaths and further math at A level.
Have you thought about how you would fund yourself too?
Don't sit there crying, get on the internet, see what the entry requirements are for mature students then get on the September local evening class courses...
I would base yourself science/maths route as spanish is not really going to encourage them re a vet!
Looking at your qualifications it's obvious you have a good brain, it just needs getting going studying again.
You can be anything you want within reason, you just have to find the motivation and route..
23 is as I said very young and the universities often like to see you have lived a bit prior to going. the other tip is get loads fo all round experience, such as working for free during your holidays weekends in places like the local vets/abbatoir (always impresses that place) chicken /pig farm etc.
Good luck..

_jetset_

Visit site
Funding is not a problem as my parents are absolutely fantastic. I have emailed Liverpool to enquire there so will see what comes of that on Tuesday morning... I am more than willing to work hard, I have since being in school and I am very motivated when it comes to studying.

How would I start looking for a night school course?

flohelf

Visit site
OMG How can you say you've made a mess of your life at 23 !!!?
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Henryhorn's advice is excellent. Get on with it
smile.gif
and maybe -and even then ! - in 4 or 5 decades you can get back to us on HH and say you've made a mess of your life...
smirk.gif
But I doubt it !
wink.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks Blackeventer... just feel so down and annoyed at myself! I am usually quite a positive person when it comes to things happening but was led to believe I had bagged the job in the interview to find out this afternoon that I was in second place!

I think in journalism it's very much who you know rather than what you know and I am sick of it! I have always wanted to veterinary science but then at 16 I decided maybe I wanted to do something else... big mistake looking back on it! But I don't know how you are supposed to know at 16 what you want to do with your life!

wench

Visit site
If you are wanting to go and do a straight degree to be a vet, I think you will find that they will require you to have done A-level biology (or something similar) within the past few years.

I'm not a vet student, but I did look into doing it. Theres no way you will be able to understand half the stuff they will be talking about if you havent done A-level biology.

However, if you are thinking about veterinary nursing, so something similar, then it probably wouldnt be a problem.

Have you already got a degree? If so, you will be looking at tution fees of around £15k a year. If you go to be a vet, thats a lot of money.

flohelf

Visit site
Unfortunately, who you know has its importance no matter which field you're in...That's life I guess. But it is seldom the key to success (in showbiz maybe ?
grin.gif
)
How about journalism in specialized mags (nature, environment, veterinay, animal science, equine or equestrian field ?)

_jetset_

Visit site
Tried all of the ones in the NW, had interviews at most of them and been the 2nd in line for the position... To be honest, I just wish I could turn back the clock and redo my A Levels, but I guess everyone wishes that at some point.

I hate that I didn't follow my gut instinct when at school!

airedale

Visit site
The vet schools over here are pretty full - and that's why Nottingham (?) has just started a vet school

You may find that you stand a better chance of getting onto a vet course if you go abroad to somewhere like Hungary (I think that was mentioned a few months ago on TV)

Don't just look in the UK - you have spanish - look in the EU (and the costs might be similar to the UK tuition fees plus you'd be living in a different country and a cow is a cow is a cow - in whatever language

Look beyond the UK for a course as I do know for certain that the UK courses are pretty hard to get into and they can pick and choose their students.

Good luck

You aren't too old

I'm doing a mega serious international computer exam on 9th Sept and I'll be 52 in Nov. and passed the last one in March with Hons. - and I haven't done any studying since I left uni at 21 !!!

Another way 'in' but the younger mob might know if this works - is to get into a vet school uni on another closely related subject and then see ifyou can do an internal transfer after a year - e.g. go and do zooology and then transfer

A friends kid is going to uni to do zooology and has found out that if she goes to Cardiff there will be no tuition fees as it's in Wales and not england !!!!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Your local college should do them, they start signing up people for courses very early September so you need to move quickly.
Oh if only I were 23 again and could plan my life out again! Though I'd have to have the experience I do now or I'd cock it up once more...

i personally wouldn't think that a vets degree from say hungary would carry as much weight as a british one - i know its all EU so is in principal acceptable and would be legal to practice in the UK but i wouldn't really want a vet with a european gained degree treating my horse - i know it is stupid but i just trust the UK system more. i think that this is quite a common opinion aswell????

edited to say i have pm'd you!!!

seabiscuit

Visit site
Definately look into doing your course abroad, like Hungary or there are places in the Carribean I think.
I know how you feel as I am 23 too and wish I hadnt done all the wrong things at Alevel and Uni! If only I could turn back the clock I would be in such a different position now.
Grab every opportunity you can and go for it!! Its not unusual to be going back to Uni- remember in Germany they are studying their degrees until their late 20's !!

i think HH is right that you need to look into night school, my uncle is a vet and he says that with the very high demand for the limited places you need to have straight A's in biology and maths at a level or equivalent........looking at the results you have in other subjects, it seems this would be an obtainable goal for you.....it may be a very long road that you have to embark on but if you enjoy the journey and it gets you where you want to be!!!!

flohelf

Visit site
Wow... I can't believe what I'm reading here...
crazy.gif
Travel the world and find out about what other cultures are doing with their brains and you'll be surprised.
Sorry but this is a gut reaction I have here too with the French who think that only French based know- how, or expertise is worth anything... I know it happens everywhere but it still gets on my nerves everytime !
mad.gif

How much do you know about vet school in Hungary by the way ?
Lots of (open minded) French students go to vet school in Belgium cause it's so competitive to get in here. And as far as I know they turn out as good vets as the French or British ones.
smirk.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
I couldn't just go abroad and do it as I have a husband and a house here in Lancashire (plus a rather large mortgage) so although I appreciate it would be better, it is just not an option for me I am afraid.

I am more than willing to do all the hard work to achieve my goal, believe me!

Puppy

Visit site
You guys who are 23 are certainly not too old to choose a new career and go back to uni!
smile.gif

Jeez, if you are, then I'm wasting my time cause I began uni last year at 23, (my first degree) and am doing a Law degree, so theres many years ahead of me before I'm actually going to be practicing and paying off that student debt.

Becki, are you sure that you don't need any science A levels? Even if you don't officially need them to get onto the course, my experience of talking to vet students is that you will need them if you want to understand the course. I think there are a number of posts on the topic in the careers forum so might be worth posting/searching in there. Maybe it would be worth doing a couple of A levels at night school to get off on the right footing.

Jem - why on earth wouldn't you be happy with a vet trained elsewhere?! My dealings with the two major practices in Newmarket was that they has many vets trained in other countries. I've had vets from Australia/New Zealand/South Africa etc I certainly don't judge them for it. Given how few universities there are here which actually do veterinary its not surprising that he have to bring in vets trained in other countries, and equally that so many students now go to study elsewhere.

i totally agree with traveling the world and see what other cultures are doing with their brains - i am at uni in the uk at the moment and am doing a year of my degree abroad and obviously, as i am doing it, think that it is great. i will however still get a british degree and i think that to practice in the uk a british gained vet degree will be worth more.............
after all everyone is telling her to go abroad because the competition is so tough here, well as a horse owner, and inded if i owned a vets practice i would think i would want one of the ones that despite the tough competition gained a place hee, not one of the ones that didn't gain a place so went abroad.
Her results suggest that she can more than compete to get in here, so why not try that first??
i know it is narrow minded but in most countries, a degree earned in that country will carry more weight as every country think that they know the most!!

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
It's never too late to change the direction of your life.

I was 29 when I finally made the decision that I hated my job (software development project manager) and that there was no way I could cope with doing it for the next 40 years. I'd done A-levels and a degree (law) that were absolutely no use for what I really wanted to do - apart from the life experience getting them gave me.

The career I wanted didn't require specific qualifications but is one of the hardest careers to get a break in. I went to Uni and did a Masters to get me a foothold and from there I'm nearly four years into living my absolute dream - well ok it is a stress filled nightmare at times and incredibly competitive but I wouldn't swap it for any other job on the planet. In fact I'd do it for free
smile.gif

I guess what I'm saying is that if being a vet is that job to you then go and do it and don't let anything get in your way. You may well have to do some A-levels, it might take a year or two to get into Uni but it will be worth it a hundred fold if you end up doing a job you love.

So do as you're doing, find out what you need to get into Vet School then go and do it. Good luck
smile.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
What job do you do gedenskis_girl? I am intrigued...

I have been looking at Runshawe college and they seem to do chemistry but not sure where else to look for adult courses.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Hi Becki
Have you got a degree already or were your A-levels your last qualifcation?

There is a graduate course (4 years instead of 5) here at the RVC but you need to have a degree in a Biomedical or Biological science and a minimum of a 2.i.

I think most unis will require science A-levels to be honest as the science contnt is so high and you need at least A-level knowledge of biology and chemistry.

I would be reluctant to study Vet Med abroad as you will have to sit RCVS exams before you are eligible to practice in this country.

Anything is possible though and they do like to encourage some mature students.

Good Luck.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I think you would have to gain some science qualifications in that case and do the 5 year course.

Also forgot to add, make sure you have lots and lots of varied and interesting work experience.

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
I'm a writer - TV drama scripts mostly but I had a novel published earlier this year and I'm working on another one.

Runshaw College has a pretty good reputation. You should also try Preston College - I did my A-levels there and I know they do a lot of part-time A-level courses. You'd be able to do whatever A-levels you needed there. Here's their website: http://www.preston.ac.uk/index.html

AlisonG

Visit site
Yes you are a mature student under the government's rules on student funding. It applies if you are either
a, over 21
b, estranged from your parents
c, married

The good news on this is that you will be assesed on yours and not your parents income. (normally good news as = less money, therefore higher grant) *

However, you will need to pay top up fees which I can't imagine for anywhere doing vet science will be less than 3k a year.

My advice? Speak to Liverpool and see if they would let you in. If they say you need extra qualifications contact your local FE college. If you need to do a foundation year of a degree or anything like that go for the open university. If you are quick they may let you in this year.

*edit* I m assuming you are an 'english domicilled student', i.e you have lived there for the last three years. If not look at moving to Scotland or Wales, both places are cheaper.

Lark

Visit site
Ehh Jem,

Remember how people react to the doctor thats half their age etc. Well also remember that the competition for veterinary has only become a issue in very recent years and the problem now seems to be that a high proportion of people going into veterinary science are pure academics. This is a major concern for the older experienced vets (which we ALL love) and for a couple of friends of mine who did become vets for the love of it and one who HAD to go abroad in order to follow that vocation.

Thats what it is to be a good vet - A Vocation - I would rather have a vet who went to the ends of the earth to accomplish that task than a super academic who just happened to meet the systems requirements.

One of these girls, did an Agr degree which she finished at 24 did a post-grad in Equine Sc still couldn't get into Veterinary college but was so determined she sought sponsorship from a vast range of people and went to Aus to study. She is probably just qualifying now - But I know who I would want on my side in an emergency and it is the one who actually truly cares enough to take the harder road.

Becki - grab it and go for it!!

Apologies for the rant!

i have no idea why your going on about older and younger vets - in every profesion there are the older established ones and the new ones??

as to the rest of your post....why can't you be passionate about being a vet AND academic enough to go straight to vets school? i'll answer for you - you can. my uncle is a vet, it is his life, i would want him on my side in an emergency above any other vet in the world. he got straight A's, but he didn't get them and then think 'i know, i will be a vet as i happen to have gained high enough grades' rather he worked his ass off to get the straight A's to ensure he could go to vets school - imho THAT is dedication.
i'm sorry but it is b*llocks to say that everyone who gets straight A's is purely an accademic and doing it just because they got the grades and not because its a vocation - i'm sure getting up in the middle of the night to calve, sticking your arm up animals arses etc would NEVER appeal to pure accademics - they'd go for the office jobs which require straight A's - law etc.
i'm sure you will find that a lot of the students in vet school, like my uncle (although he graduated a good 20years ago) will have gotten these very accademic grades out of sheer determination to gain there place.

Lark

Visit site
Jem - take a look at the statistics and use your own experience.

A large proportion of qualified vets today are opting for research study. As i pointed out I work within the industry and even recently qualified vets will validate this.

What i am saying is that due to the entry requirements veterinary college is exclusionary to vast majority of those wishing to become vets. That is not B****cks as you so politely put it but fact.
In Ireland you do not have to get 3 A grades but virtually 6!
And I don't think that using your Uncle who qualified 20 years ago is a fitting analogy to the circumstances today.

Anyway this is getting away from my original point AND YOURS that a vet qualified outside of my country should not be penalised due to where they studied.

using my uncle is a perfect example as you are suggesting that all those that get all A's are purely academics and i'm saying hegot all A's and vetting is his life.
i think its good that the requirements are so high..... i wouldn't want somebody who couldn't meet these requirements treating my horse. It is also good for the industry that a lot of vets are academic nd are choosing to go into research.... science is always progressing, we need these brains to keep discovering and keep advancing - i had a horse pts 9 years ago for something that today could be cured and to me that is a good thing.
i have dealt with good vets from australia and the US and thought that they were great, but eastern europe - no way! what i'm saying about where they qualify is that we all know that the standard of education varies around the world and degrees gained in countries of an equal or higher academic standard to the UK i'm fine with, if the reputation on the whole is not as good as here then i wouldn't have them treat mine - i know in all countries ther are very clever individuals but i'm not chancing it. If a foreign vet builds up an excellent reputation in the UK (not interested in rep from own country) then i will trust that.