Please may I have your thoughts on FOC/asking a small price when 'rehoming' ....

Mugsgame

Visit site
... having never been in this situation before and am trying to help my parents. Just to clarify, said pooch will always have a safe and welcome home with them, but there is a definite arguement that the little lass will have a more fulfilling life with somebody else now :(.

It may not come to advertising her, lots of other options to explore first but trying to get all plans into place really. I am sure she would have value as a for sale dog, but this is certainly NOT the route we (my parents) would consider taking - more questioning if 'free' attracts absolutely the wrong type of future family? If they advertised her with a price of some description, in your experiences, are more legitimate prospective owners likely to come forward so once they are completely happy with the standard of home the pooch can be rehomed and my parents would then not charge any money to the right people?

Thats a bit badly written I am sorry - just can't think how else to explain!

Please don't think my parents bad people, they have just made a mistake later on in life by getting another boisterous lab puppy (now 15 months old), and over the last nine months a combination of their deteriorating health and the lab's ever increasing enthusiasm to learn and please has become a situation not suited to any of them. She is a wonderful dog, and deserves the absolute best. They will be heartbroken if she does move on, but if they remain unable to handle her on a lead and recall her properly, at the very least she will not be getting the exercise she needs. 121 trainer is coming in next week (these are all things other people can do with her with not much effort) so I am hoping desperately that the situation will resolve, but in reality...

Thank you in advance, biscuits all round for understanding what I was waffling about!! ;)

Toffee44

Visit site
I have no space, I have no space, I have no space, I have no space, I have no space :) :) :)

However I paid a small fee for Buster, they wanted more basically to ideally stop him being used as a stud dog and wanted a proper pet home for him. I discussed with them at length about my plans for the snip and jabs (as he hadnt had them) and ended up parting with little money after they spoke to my vet that I had booked him all in etc.

Still not sure about the whole paying thing for a rehome but I did, don't regret it at all, Buster is brilliant and very much part of the gang :) I paid nothing for Teal and Will as rehomes.

Mugsgame

Visit site
Toffee, I agree - if the boot was on the other foot I would happily pay a small amount for the right rehoming dog, infact thinking about all of our Dogs Trust and Cats Protection specials we have had here, they have cost a fortune to 'get'!! Just home really is the be all and end all - and we want to attract the best if we need to.

She is all up to date with worming/vaccs/neutered etc, and even though I believe it to be a shot in the dark as far as my parents go, she will continue to have professional training until the right home is found in order to try and do the very best for her. I still really wish it would work out, I can't imagine them without a Lucy dog and they love her to bits... but if I get a phone call to say she has knocked my mum over or similar... I dread to think. By their own admission, all totally their own doing, not Lucy's fault at all. :(

I have been repeating the same mantra "we have no space, we have no space..." and we genuinely don't else she would be here in a heartbeat and I would be happy knowing my parents were happy with it. So now I am wandering around saying to the OH "we need a bigger house, we must get a bgger house..." !!

jessie7

Visit site
Have you spoken to the Labrador rescue? They may well have people waiting to re-home a dog such as yours?
If not and you have to advertise I would not advertise her as Free - this may tempt people who can not afford to buy a dog (they therefore may not be able to look after it properly).

Spudlet

Visit site
What a sad situation :( Perhaps an older dog from a rescue might suit them better when they feel ready?

*Tells self she cannot have another dog, no no no*

Mugsgame

Visit site
Have you spoken to the Labrador rescue? They may well have people waiting to re-home a dog such as yours?
If not and you have to advertise I would not advertise her as Free - this may tempt people who can not afford to buy a dog (they therefore may not be able to look after it properly).

This is my exact fear. I know when anything leaves your possession (be it a horse or a dog etc) you can only do your best at choosing the home that seems the best - but from that moment on the animals fate is in their hands... but in my mind anyone just out looking for freebies may not have the best set up. Such a nightmare thinking about it, but mum and dad know they must be realistic now.

Labrador rescue is cerainly an option, in fact they got their last lab from there... it seemed a very good set up at the time.

In fact that ties in with Spudlet's idea - I did have similar thoughts but I wasn't sure how the Lab Rescue would feel about it. My mum and dad (biased I know) offer a fantastic home for the right dog - they are oviously both retired but split their time between their rural home and an even more rural place perched on top of the cliffs, access to sandy beaches etc etc. Have had lots of dogs throughout their time from terriers to labs and couldnt imagine them living without a dog. When they bought Lucy it was on the understanding that should anything happen to them in the future that Lucy would come to me - all fine, except being rather short sighted I didnt expect it would mean she would be here in within 18months, when we are living in a tiny house while we await permission to convert a barn. I am gutted as I thought we had a setup that would totally offer her a home for life, and things have changed far quicker than I could have imagined.

She is ace - and such a happy girl. Loves riding out in the car, is crate trained, completely house trained, etc etc, six months ago somebody was watching her working and told my parents they would love to have her as an agility dog/pet - of course if only that situation was available now, although I mustn't turn the situation into a bunch of 'if only's'.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I have no experience of the lab rescue but do you think they'd be able to arrange a 'swap' of some kind? A nicely natured 15 month old lab will not be hard to place, I'd warrant, but I bet they have a few oldies who will struggle to find a home but would perhaps suit your parents down to the ground.

Like I say, no idea of their policies or if they'd laugh at this but it seems a logical option, an older lab gets a luxury home for life and the young upstart gets a more suitable lifestyle. :)

For what it's worth I did pay a small amount of money for the one I had from a private home; she was advertised for £250 as a six month old un-neutered pup, obviously banking on the fact that they're becoming a fashionable breed and she could have been very lucrative for churning out pups. :( I offered him £100 cash when we went to see her and he took it, surprisingly. He was asking £450 for other one he had (blue eyes :rolleyes:). The suggested donation for the one I had from breed rescue was £150.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Have you spoken to her breeder at all? Many breeders (including me) will always take back their puppies if something untoward happens as it has here. Please try them first if you haven't already as I was mortified when one of our pups got moved on from what we thought was an excellent home; luckily he landed on his feet and just after we heard about him being moved on it so happened that the chap who then had him became ill and unable to cope; we bought him back for exactly what he had paid for him and 3 years later he's still here and going no-where; it was a small price to pay for peace of mind that we knew where he was. Some breeders will take back and maybe give you something if they manage to find another home but they all have different methods for tackling this situation.
If you do advertise then try something like Shooting Times if you think she could make a gundog.

amy_b

Visit site
I had to rehome my dog over the summer (chased and killed sheep, didnt want to risk it happening again by accident if he escaped or something)
I advertised him on pets4homes, they have a 'for adoption' option, I told the lady I didnt want money for him but sold her his kennel and made up a reciept (in my case putting in writing she knew he wasnt trustworthy with stock)
anyway on there it said sale of kennel, 'dogsname' (chip number, colour, age)
aware of issues blah blah.
the lady then gave me a £50 voucher which I thought was a really nice thing to do because it didnt feel like I had sold him but she would have felt better about taking him I expect?!
she kept in touch and he is spoilt to death!! Dont regret it for a minute :)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Pets4Homes can also be a haven for pet collectors/dealers. Glad you were lucky though :) you were very lucky the dog was not PTS and well done for getting him out (chasing and killing sheep is viewed even more seriously than chasing and killing a cat!)
TBH there are certain sites on the internet that can be a terrible place to buy or rehome dogs.

Second contacting the breeder or breed rescue.

CAYLA

Visit site
Absoloutely ask for a donation, this weans out the "want a freeby" but didn't think about it looneys. if she is neutered and vaxed then this should be part covered.
When we rehome a dog (any breed) we charge £150 and the dog is neutered, vaccinated, chipped, insured, de flead and wormed, this is no where near the actual cost of what we have done but it does prove the new owner is being responsible and values that dog a little more in regard to a little more commitment than a "no thought" "oh is FREE" lets just get it.

Use the money to adopt a an older/calmer dog from a rescue or donate it to rescue if it makes you feel better.
Carry out a home check for her and check the new home has a secure garden and have a chat in regard to exercise and suitibility of home (get a better feel for the people)
DO NOT change her chip details until you are happy she is settled, if she is not chipped do it before she goes. Although this is not proof of legal ownership it does go along way to deter folk passing dogs on when they are aware there is a chip in place, or if she gets out, you will get to know about it;)
Make a contract that states you will/and she would firstly be returned to you if the new owner can not longer keep her and all moneys be refunded.
Where about are you? you could pop her on our website if it helps as a private rehome.
Give me a shout if I can be of help. I know its a huge pressue/worry rehoming a dog esp when it has been your own.

amy_b

Visit site
I was very lucky to be fair, the lady is really very nice and he has as good, if not a better life with her than he did with me :)
And yes, we were also very lucky with the farmer! he was very understanding, the dog had been brought up around sheep and had never so much as looked at one, my only guess is that chasing a rabbit he spooked one or something and started chasing it?!! farmer was happy just to have the cost of the sheep refunded, it was me who decided to rehome him. I couldnt bear the thought of him somehow escaping and being shot. would be a horrific end for him and I dont regret it for a minute :)

Last edited:

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Oh I have done the same myself, only non-GSD I have ever owned, she must be about 12 and is still battling on (in a city :p) she never actually caught one but she egged our other dog on something shocking :eek:

Mugsgame

Visit site
Wow, thank you for all the replies - means a lot! Only have a few seconds now but will try and look through thoroughly later on this evening!

She is 'all up together' as far as fleas/worms/chipped/nails/vaccs/ everything and would always be kept up to date. Have just been with them and her now and have been out working her myself - I could cry - she is just so much fun. All three of them are visiting me in Gloucestershire at the moment but she normally lives in Norfolk. She retrieves so well already I mentioned to the OH and we are planning on taking her out to see if she minds a gun (doesn't mind similar) - as I expect she would totally LOVE doing this. She is a good size for working and is a naturally athletic build, fine in water.

Maesfen, I thought about her breeder - they were lovely people but the litter was 'bred by accident' when the ladies dog was allowed to play with her the woman's brother's own dog when he came to visit... I sent her updated pics of Lucy up until June this year but never got any reply back, which is fair enough as they could probably see the dog was well and didnt feel the need to worry. They sell their foals through Leominster.

I certainly wondered about a 'dog swap' situation, but think maybe this sounds more appropriate when you know the people involved and the setup, and can only imagine what muppets some rehoming centres are used to dealing with - they would probably put me in the same drawer if I suggested something like that?

I have also been wondering about getting mum and dad to 'employ' someones services in getting her professionally walked five or six times a week? They are more than capable of playing with her in the garden - running and fetching games etc... This could maybe work alongside the training...

So frustrating, and worrying - Amy thank you for your story, I do have to remind myself that there are plenty of good people out there as well as the ungenuines - come to think of it, we have been those people for probably 90% of the animals we have ever owned - I might be biased but I could put up with being one of my dogs... :D - they must wonder why the humans in the house never take care of themselves lol!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Wow, thank you for all the replies - means a lot! Only have a few seconds now but will try and look through thoroughly later on this evening!

Maesfen, I thought about her breeder - they were lovely people but the litter was 'bred by accident' when the ladies dog was allowed to play with her the woman's brother's own dog when he came to visit... I sent her updated pics of Lucy up until June this year but never got any reply back, which is fair enough as they could probably see the dog was well and didnt feel the need to worry. They sell their foals through Leominster.

Sorry, that says a lot to me and think you may have to look elsewhere (as you've realised). Even if it wasn't a planned litter breeders should still act responsibly IMO.
Very sad, she sounds a lovely dog so I wish you the best of luck with finding a compatible home for her.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
I can totally recommend Labrador Rescue - we got our current lab through them and had to undergo a very stringent vetting process. There are a few nationally and some regional ones too. At least you know the homes are vetted and they are people who really want a lab rather than a cheap or free dog.

Good job you are not local to us.........we will be second dog hunting fairly soon :D.