Please Reassure Me...

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
We have a rising 4 and a rising 5 year old at the yard, both of whom are still croup high! The 4 year old is hugely croup high, you feel like your about to do a nosedive sitting on him.
My mare is rising 5 and looks very mature (broad chest, huge neck etc) but is very very slightly croup high, she's still go a bit of growing left, but she is Irish :D

mainpower

Visit site
Mine's ID/Welsh D, so while I'm expecting him to be a late maturer I'm having some anxious twinges, he looks like a cut and shut :rolleyes: ! How much work is your 4yo doing?

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
The 4 year old has only recently come back into work after being turned away, he is doing 15/20 mins 4/5 times a week, just walk and trot re-learning going off the leg. He gets fitted in around the others, so we haven't always got time to work him, hence his education isn't progressing all that quickly!

Both the croup high youngsters at the yard are welsh D! I suspect the 5 year old will never level out, he isn't built very well in general, but the 4 year old has a lot of filling out to do so I think he will shoot up in the spring. He has masses of bone and he is going to be a giant Welsh D! :eek:

mainpower

Visit site
Oh well, hopefully it'll all come out in the wash... I backed him last summer but didn't feel he was ready for any work. He's now bored bored bored, driving all the other horses nuts :D ! I'm itching to get cracking with him, but I had a hand op 10 weeks ago and there's some complications with healing so he'll have another month's grace anyway. He's also a bit goose rumped which probably makes his back end look higher than it actually is!
My older horse is Welsh D/Tb x ID, and as he was growing up he looked like all the breeds for a few weeks at a time, but was always fairly in proportion!