Please stop moaning about winter mud ....

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Have a look at news stories of people stranded on beaches in Australia with their horses because their homes are burning, and feel grateful for a bit of mud. Just sayin’ .....
I would take this mud any day over what those poor people and animals are going through. It’s awful and I wish we could send them our rain!

Upthecreek

Visit site
I would hope we can all feel empathy for the people in Australia and the horrific situation they are in. Don’t think we need to be feeling grateful for the awfully wet winter and “bit of mud” though. Land in parts of the UK has been horrendously flooded so a rather flippant comment. What an odd post Greylegs. Just sayin’.......

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Seriously though - I am sure your intentions starting this thread were well meant and altruistic in the best sense of the word. But come on? Of course all normal and feeling people are hugely concerned and devastated by the daily updates from Australia. And I am also pretty sure a lot of us on this side of the world, who cannot do anything practical to but are financially able to are contributing what we can through donations to help with the mammoth catastrophe.

I will not apologise for grumbling and moaning about the absolute shite winter I am having here with mud and flooding and the difficulties looking after my own herd!!! Why would I? What help is that to people in Australia? :rolleyes:

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Seriously though - I am sure your intentions starting this thread were well meant and altruistic in the best sense of the word. But come on? Of course all normal and feeling people are hugely concerned and devastated by the daily updates from Australia. And I am also pretty sure a lot of us on this side of the world, who cannot do anything practical to but are financially able to are contributing what we can through donations to help with the mammoth catastrophe.

I will not apologise for grumbling and moaning about the absolute shite winter I am having here with mud and flooding and the difficulties looking after my own herd!!! Why would I? What help is that to people in Australia? :rolleyes:
This was exactly my point. It's absolutely terrible what's going on in Australia full stop. Not comparable but I've had enough of the mud, I want the best for my horses and hate reducing their turnout.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
You do know there is already a thread about the fires?

Where many people have expressed their concern for those in Australia and gratitude for our rain and mud, whilst remembering that there are some people in this country who can't go back to the houses that they were flooded out of at the end of last year and probably won't be able to return to for another year.
Mud can be particularly difficult for those horse owners whose animals are prone to mud fever, so it is no wonder they are concerned.
Touch wood, my horses' legs are fine and we live at the top of a hill but if I want to have a moan about mud and wind to make myself feel better, it won't mean that I am disregarding the absolute disaster that is happening at the other side of the world.

Abi90

Visit site
I would hope we can all feel empathy for the people in Australia and the horrific situation they are in. Don’t think we need to be feeling grateful for the awfully wet winter and “bit of mud” though. Land in parts of the UK has been horrendously flooded so a rather flippant comment. What an odd post Greylegs. Just sayin’.......

yes there is an entire farm under water in Lincolnshire, they’ve lost everything. And there’s villages around the country where people’s houses have been ruined and they can’t move back in for ages and can probably never insure the property again. A big widespread disaster does not negate the smaller less publicised ones.

I’m sure worse things than the rain and mud have happened to the people complaining about it as well but all struggles are relative.

Also, due to the lack of sunlight and Vitamin D we get in the UK in winter months it’s in our nature to have a melancholy disposition

Northern

Visit site
Please - stop squabbling. Our country is in dire circumstances, but what our fires are to us, your floods are to yours. Our parts of the world are so diverse and the extant issues we face as well. Can I assure you that Australia has had its fair share of devastating floods and wholly understand how destructive they are, we are a country of such extremes. I hope you you guys never have to go through fires like this, just as I hope we here don't get flooded out like the UK at the moment (though we would all appreciate it at the moment - for a little while).

Upthecreek

Visit site
Squabbling? We’re all entitled to our opinions and to the freedom to express them. Definition of forum is a meeting or medium where views can be exchanged. Greylegs decided to post that people “should feel grateful for a bit of mud” and other posters have seen fit to point out that it was a rather inappropriate comment because of serious flooding issues in some areas. It’s not squabbling, just exchanging views, which hopefully leads to us all being that bit more understanding.

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Thanks Northerner - the fires, the loss of life, the 30% of our wildlife wiped out, the pictures this morning of the dead and dying burnt livestock and the 1600 homes lost make me wonder how we will ever recover from this as a nation.

Dont know where you are in our wide brown land but the temps of 44.6c at our place in Sydney nearly killed our dear old 28yr old pony. She just lay on the ground and gave up. We got her back by hosing her all day and rehydrating via Voost tablets dropped in water. But I thought she was gone.

Today will be yet more prep for fire in case they ignite near us.

UK folk - keep posting pictures of your mud, keep telling us about your rain as it keeps us going knowing that rain exists.

Northern

Visit site
Thanks Northerner - the fires, the loss of life, the 30% of our wildlife wiped out, the pictures this morning of the dead and dying burnt livestock and the 1600 homes lost make me wonder how we will ever recover from this as a nation.

Dont know where you are in our wide brown land but the temps of 44.6c at our place in Sydney nearly killed our dear old 28yr old pony. She just lay on the ground and gave up. We got her back by hosing her all day and rehydrating via Voost tablets dropped in water. But I thought she was gone.

Today will be yet more prep for fire in case they ignite near us.

UK folk - keep posting pictures of your mud, keep telling us about your rain as it keeps us going knowing that rain exists.

Say safe, glad your pony is ok. Mine weren't even sweaty yesterday (44C here in ACT), but they are young, strong and healthy. Now watching in dread as the fire burns into Namadgi - just like it did 17 years ago...

PS. It's currently lightly raining through thick, yellow smoke. Such a strange and eerie atmosphere :eek:

Last edited:

EllenJay

Visit site
Please - stop squabbling. Our country is in dire circumstances, but what our fires are to us, your floods are to yours. Our parts of the world are so diverse and the extant issues we face as well. Can I assure you that Australia has had its fair share of devastating floods and wholly understand how destructive they are, we are a country of such extremes. I hope you you guys never have to go through fires like this, just as I hope we here don't get flooded out like the UK at the moment (though we would all appreciate it at the moment - for a little while).

I think all of hearts go out to you. You are in a dire situation, and according to the news our end, things won't improve until the rains come which is predicted in 2 months time. All disasters (however big or small) impact individuals. You can't compare the devistation that is happening in Australia at the moment to the horrible wet weather the UK is experiencing. I would love to send you our rain. But human nature, we moan about incidents that affect us. You only need to look at posts on HHO to see how some very small issues affect an individual, whilst for other they completely wash over.

I am currently hating the wet and mud we have her. I moan about it constantly - the amount of washing I am having to do every time I get back from the yard - but that doesn't stop me from crying when I see what is currently happening in Australia. I will continue to moan about the wet, and at the same time I will break my heart about the fires in Australia - whilst feeling completely impotent about both issues xx