Please tell me about air jackets

Carlosmum

Visit site
After a crashing fall the other day when pony bucked me off at the top of a bank and I landed at the bottom . I am now nursing what qre probably cracked ribs, very painful and have been confined to bed for 2 days so far, I guess a good few more to come too.
I am wondering if an air jacket would have offered more protection than my racesafe. I will need to replace the BP as pony caught it with a hind foot as he passed me so it now has a rip.

Recommendations and opinions of air jackets versus standard BPs gratefully received.

teapot

Visit site
There's a reason BE won't let people event in one or the other. Best to be worn with a body protector if you want full protection. Do a forum search for air jacket posts/threads, as the brands do divide opinion.

dappyness

Visit site
Not sure about your accident but mine saved me from, what could have been, horrible injuries.

I was riding up a steep lane and my 16'3 boy got spooked by noisy dogs. He reared up as he tried to spin and I thought he was coming back over on me. Luckily I flew off backwards and after letting out a girly scream ( fearing the worst) I landed flat on my back. Considering it was a long way to fall as it was down hill, I bounced....opened my eyes and had to apologise for my girly scream whilst getting up and back on my horse.
Without my air jacket there would have been no way I would have got up from that without any injuries. Falling that distance and landing on my back on a road should have at the very least winded me and at its worst.... Air ambulance.....

I have a hit air as I prefer it inflating outwards. No winding you when it goes off.

Shay

Visit site
Given what you describe as the mechanism of fall it is far more likely than not that an air jacket would have mitigated against the injuries you have. But nothing is 100%. As with all safety equipment the issue is fit. When you are back on your feet go visit one (or more!) of the big retailers and actually have the jacket fitted to you and blown up. Your torso length, and to an extent the saddle type you ride in, will dictate which make you buy.

Only one make has independent safety tests - the old Pro 2, now marketed as Helite. But in all probability the hit air and the current prolite are more or less the same. Each accident is unique anyway. As long as the jacket fits your torso - and your BP - when exploded that is the important thing.

For my daughter (adult) we found the hit air was too long - the neck collar on explosion forced the head forward and would increase injury; although standing 5'5, she has a shorter torso compared to legs and she prefers a deeper cantle saddle which also meant the hit air caught a little. The helite neck protection really worked for her, locking in to the helmet base better than the new prolite did. But the only way to be sure is to go and test each on on the rider with the BP and hat.

What price you neck and back... on even your ribs!!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I only ever set my Helite type one off once, we had just finished XC and he had gone so well I jumped off to hug him in delight. My word, I had the shop inflate it on me with a big cylinder of air, and it seemed pretty comfortable, but when set off 'in the field' it shot my head up, my hips down and promptly crushed my chest. I was panting anyway at the end of XC and I could barely breathe. It did not deflate quickly either, I was still faffing with the straps by the time OH had walked the 100 yards to me.

Having said that, I had always wondered how an air bag could possibly protect against crush injuries. Having felt it, I would say that because I was crushed already all round, a horse would not have been able to squash me, as I was supported strongly all round.

My neck and hips hurt for 2 days, but I do think it would be a bonus for a serious fall.

It is because of this I stuck with a Helite type one for the second (bigger) one I bought. I reckon if it does not crush you inwards then half the protectiveness would be lost.

From my, uninformed, perspective a Hit Air may be more for the tye of fall where you fall onto the tarmac, but the Helite type for where the horse may fall on you! I only ever wear mine for XC so I go for the crush!

dixie

Visit site
I've fallen off in my air jacket a few times, it's a Helite gilet, and have never had a sore back. My neck hurt slightly the day after last time but on looking at the video I did seem to do a backwards roll poly, so twisted it anyway. I don't know whether the protection is better than a back protector or not but do feel secure in it. I've not felt winded with it going off but it could be that I've got used to it.
I also prefer the Helite because it blows outwards rather than inwards, you can see http://www.treehouseairjackets.co.uk/shop?gclid=CKH4o6He0tECFRITGwodttkDqwthe website on Treehouse

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The Helite and the Point 2 originally were, and still appear to me, to be exactly the same jacket. The Point two has a bayonet fixing on the canister and the Helite is still a screw fitting is about the only difference.

Anyone who feels injured by the jacket itself has the wrong size jacket or needs to loosen the straps, I think. I've fallen off in mine several times and never felt crushed, unable to breathe, or had any after effects.

I'm another who has fallen from a big horse onto my back on a tarmac road. I bounced.

Shay

Visit site
They are the same jacket pretty much. When the two companies parted ways I met a rep from what is now Helite at Royal Windsor and he said there were technical differences in the jackets because something in what is now the Helite was patented - I can't remember what it was though.

Northern Hare

Visit site
Having thought the day before "I wonder if I will ever find out if this Hitair air jacket works?", the very next day I fell off (first fall in twelve years with my current horse! ) - and I can confirm it works very well! However, the only reason I fell off was because my friend's horse took off down the field - I followed on my horse in a slow canter so as not to chase. My friend's horse then spooked and my friend took a tumble off the side - and her air jacket went off. At the noise, my horse then did a handbrake turn and next thing I was sitting on the field (language not repeatable! ).

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I have a point two, I've yet to test it out and fingers crossed I won't . The only time I got close to test it was when my horse bogged off why I was mounting, I never even got clipped on . As some one who hacks and does dressage I am happy with just an air jacket. They are comfortable and light, don't get too hot and unlike my BP , which hid a lovely drop in my right shoulder from my instructor, you are freer when riding. I do not think it matters what type you have, just that it is comfortable. My point two has just been back for a service , cost under a £100 , for service and packaging and postage. It came back like a new jacket. They put a new shell on because they did not like some stitching on my old shell. I was delighted with the service, took just over a week. I sent it off while I was holiday, so that I was not without it when riding. If I was doing a lot of fast work or jumping I would wear a BP underneath. The point twos come in all shapes and sorts and are now even built in to jackets. I do not know a lot about the other sort of jackets but I am sure that they are as good. So I would go and try some different ones out if I was buying now , I went for a point two as my friend and sister had them and I didn't know anything about the other sorts but I've heard good things about them on here.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
They are the same jacket pretty much. When the two companies parted ways I met a rep from what is now Helite at Royal Windsor and he said there were technical differences in the jackets because something in what is now the Helite was patented - I can't remember what it was though.

It was the canister holder, I think. That's why P2 patented a new bayonet fixing at the same time as they parted ways. I think it's the only difference. I was worried about the bayonet breaking or popping loose at first but I've had one for two years now and it's fine, easier than the screw in.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have a point 2 you could say it's worked because I have never tested it .
Just one observation I often see them worn considerable tighter than mine is when I have it on and I do have as the instructions advised .

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I have a point two, I've had it for several years, I always ride in it, it's lovely and comfortable, I've only needed it once thankfully and it didn't wind me at all when it inflated.

cavalo branco

Visit site
I have had a hit air for several years as well. I wear it out hacking and for jumping, it's light and comfortable and has been tested 3 times now ☺️☺️ I'm very glad to have it!!

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I have a point 2 that has been tested a number of times! I wear it mostly just for XC and occasionally SJ, might wear it more if I had an unpredictable or especially sharp horse though... I also have had the bad luck to test mine in a rotational fall a few years ago, and despite what people say it definitely still went off and I walked away unhurt. I always wear mine over a BP and find it perfectly comfortable, and have not been winded by it when it has gone off either. I love it and it gives me a lot of extra confidence (esp. XC)

Britestar

Visit site
I have a helite gilet. It's been tested more times than I care to count! I wear it every time I ride one particular horse.

It does its job perfectly everytime.

adsthelad

Visit site
I have a hit-air, and I use it for jumping. Although I've not tested it yet, I like that it is very light and unrestrictive, also that when it inflates it inflates outwards. Arguably it makes me less likely to fall off than wearing a BP because I have my full range of motion! It fits neatly so that I can forget about it and concentrate on riding.