Please tell me I’ll get through this - canter issues

newboult51

Visit site
A few years ago while trying out a possible new horse I was thrown off and broke my back. I consequently totally lost my confidence and gave up horses and have had a number of years off.

Fast forward to this year and having had and recovered from a serious (unrelated) illlness for over a year I have promised myself I would get back into riding and have had some lessons on riding school horses which went well.

Six weeks ago I bought my 15.1 Connie who is only 4 (I really did not set out to buy a youngster but there you are). The problem is that I am having issues with getting him to canter in the school. To begin with I have only been doing walk and trot but when I ask him to canter he broncs/bucks and I have to admit it scares me silly. Please can someone tell me I’ll ride through this and whether I just sit through it and push on? His tack, teeth etc are all good and he’s had a clean bill of health, I think he’s just being an opinionated Connie and a bit cheeky but he’s scared me!

Abacus

Visit site
He sounds unbalanced and weak, and it's harder to canter in an arena. Might you be brave enough to point him up a hill following another horse, and work on his strength and fitness first before worrying about circles? If you give it a go, stand off his back to make it easier. I had to do this for a while with the chap who was given to me after 18 months off work, he simply couldn't manage canter transitions.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
He sounds unbalanced and weak, and it's harder to canter in an arena. Might you be brave enough to point him up a hill following another horse, and work on his strength and fitness first before worrying about circles? If you give it a go, stand off his back to make it easier. I had to do this for a while with the chap who was given to me after 18 months off work, he simply couldn't manage canter transitions.

Just what I was going to say. Arena work is hard for a youngster, they have only just managed tobalance themselves and the rider when they have to cope with a corner, then another corner and so on.

newboult51

Visit site
Get a pro to ride him - you are the wrong person to teach him to canter and it’s going to end in disaster ... he’s probably just unbalanced but if you are frightened you will
Instinctively do the wrong thing so get someone who isn’t frightened to get him over this himp
☹️

HeyMich

Visit site
Get a pro to ride him - you are the wrong person to teach him to canter and it’s going to end in disaster ... he’s probably just unbalanced but if you are frightened you will
Instinctively do the wrong thing so get someone who isn’t frightened to get him over this himp

Yep, this.

I have a pro ride my young(ish) mare once a week or so, and she has made a world of difference to her transitions and general schooling ability etc. I am absolutely the wrong person to be teaching her anything (due to lack of confidence, anxiety etc), and the pro has managed it no problem at all. I can now ride her and undertake these transitions, lateral movements and more with no problems at all, but it needed the pro to show her what was required in the first place! Sound advice.

flying_high

Visit site
Find the right supportive local instructor (not one from the riding school, but one that teaches people on their own horses). Have weekly lessons, and get them to support you and help you ride the horse.

I would also recommend a good grab strap / handle / large breast plate / r-stor so you can hold something when cantering until more confident and secure. Which one works depends on your hand position and arm length, you want it so can carry hands and use reins as normal. Try in walk first.

I have both a r-stor and a large hunting breast plate on both horses, at most times. Great as a seatbelt if needed.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
A few sessions with a professional riding the horse will make all the difference first with them riding the horse and then when they are happy he is safe and going better to give you a few lessons on him. Money spent on teaching him now will be well spent and help your confidence. If if turns out there is a problem other than greenness best to find that out asap as well.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Get a pro to canter your pony - in the arena, or better yet, out on a hack. The pony is probably just unbalanced and weak (assuming there are no physical issues) - and will need a bit of help through it. Once canter is established for the pony, it's your turn!

still standing

Visit site
Another thing you might try, if you have the facilities, is lunging your pony and asking for trot/canter transitions. Without the weight of a rider on his back, he will be able to balance himself much better into the transitions, which will help to build the correct muscles to carry himself with a rider.

starfish8

Visit site
Of course you will - just don't be too proud to ask for help. Confidence is so fragile - doing what you can to preserve it is so important. And if that means getting a pro on board to teach & support the pony there's no shame in that - will be better for both you and pony in the long run. They're meant to be better than us, that's why they're professionals.

Seville

Visit site
He's only 4, so it's a steep learning curve for him, and cantering especially in a confined area like a school, is difficult enough with an experienced, balanced rider. I wish you well and hope it has a happy ending but it always worries me when nervous novices buy youngsters however kind that youngster appears to be. Good luck, get lots of lessons!

Ellietotz

Visit site
Agree with the above, get a professional and watch them ride him into the canter etc. I always find watching when they go okay with no bucking or silliness reassuring. Could you lunge him in canter with saddle on instead?

Surbie

Visit site
Thank you all for the advice. The issues came to light during a lesson so I do have an instructor (though I’ve only had 3 lessons with her so far). Sounds like it’d be a good idea to ask her if she’d be happy to school him for a while.

Absolutely! There are 3 competition horses at my yard who are regularly schooled by pros. It makes all the difference according to their riders. I have a 12 y/o but he will be schooled by a pro soon because he's very green still and I don't know how to teach him to do the dressagey things I want him to learn. Professionals are there to help improve your horse (and you!) after all. :)

Louby

Visit site
Massive well done for getting this far. Im in a similarish position to you and its so frustrating as I used to be the one who would ride anything but now my confidence is at rock bottom. I had a nasty accident, said enoughs enough, then once recovered bought a baby horse too! And I certainly wasnt looking to buy an unbroken minimally handled youngster lol. My accident happened in the school and it fills me with dread, so since she was backed in March, all we've done is hack which has actually been a good thing. I did go in the school a few weeks back and hugged the fence line but managed to trot all the way round and was so blooming pleased with myself!! However its now time to do a little more with her and Im going to arrange some lessons with someone who is prepared to get on as Im also very aware that I dont want to transfer my feelings to her as shes been such a good girl so far.
As others have said Id ask someone else to ride those canter transitions, so you can see what he does and hopefully that will help you. Good Luck, it really is hard when your confidence is knocked.

tristar

Visit site
no correctly broken horse should be bucking when ridden, ok sometimes if very excited, but that is avoided if poss, bucking is a habit best never learned, get him sorted, its really the responsible thing to do for him, before he learns dump the rider