Pleasure ride

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I've never really been into pleasure/ fun rides. I've always gone out competing instead. The few rides in have done, many moons ago, were a bit hairy with people galloping past etc. I'm not competing much now and there is a ride very local to me. Although I've had this horse nearly 7 years I've never done one. I intend, if I go, to go on my own so if he is a prat I can just bring him home. I will probably get times with a group but I probably won't know anyone. As it's his first time is it better to go early, then I guess people would be passing all the time, or go at the end , hopefully he won't think he needs to catch up and over take!! Which is the best time to go?

Jambarissa

Visit site
Def near the end.

You are right, around me they're organised by the hunts who behave as though they're hunting and gallop past on both sides as a pack. It's anything but fun.

We go near last and are slow so we end up last. If your horse is slow it might not he safe to go properly last but maybe an hour before the last off would be decent.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I’d go at the end, so that you are less to be overtaken.

Fun rides are often wild affairs. The time I tried to go first didn’t end well as the start was delayed due to the late arrival of the first aiders, leading to a lot of bunching of riders. My horse was overwhelmed, but luckily an off duty police officer took me under her wing and I survived long enough to be able to hack for home at the half way point.

94lunagem

Visit site
Go at the end, less likely to get in anyone’s way. I’ve only done a couple over the years but found the ones I did to be really welcoming and well organised. I think they were through Sport Endurance?

My only tip would be keep all your tack and equipment the same. I used to do a lot of dressage and rode long, but I let myself get talked into borrowing a jump saddle the first time I went out (despite being perfectly comfortable getting out of the saddle cantering on normal hacks etc). By mile 6 of 14 my knees and ankles had completely gone. And around mile 10 I nearly got off and had a tantrum! 🙈

Fieldlife

Visit site
Go first. Mainly because there’s always someone doing a slow walk who will have a melt down if you even try to walk past any faster.
That’s not on. If you are on a ride you should be able to be overtaken. Unless things have unexpectedly gone very wrong.

I’d ask how someone I’m over taking wants to be passed. They can halt and I’ll walk past? Or they can walk and I’ll trot past etc. And I’ll wait for a good moment. But staying behind someone who’s walking slower than me isn’t an option.

(I’d not put someone in danger if their horse was losing the plot but they might need to agree to think laterally and take a small diversion to enable me to sneak past).

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Go towards the end but if you will be very slow, don't wait till the last minute or you will have very grumpy volunteers.
Egb rides tend very goood for first timers- being identified with a number bib makes people behave.
Only go first if you intend to go fast or you will be passed a lit

Britestar

Visit site
A few years ago I did a ride at Balmoral with a friend.

We were pretty much last to go out. Don't worry if you don't see anyone we were told.

2 tb crosses, who as soon as they spotted anyone ahead were idiots. We over took (politely) 12 other people 🙈.

We were back way before most, much to the suprise of the organisers, even with stopping to pose for pics in front of the castle.

Flame_

Visit site
I always go early to avoid getting caught up in groups but I don't jump and ride pretty quickly to get out of the way. Quite a lot of people are keen on going early and you will be passed unless you're really fast. The end is a safer bet if you don't want many overtaking.

The Fuzzy Furry

🦄 🦄
Visit site
If I've a new one, I try to go as early as possible and then trot for as far as I can, usually at least the 1st 2 miles... nothing like a reasonable trot to settle something.
That said, the Cotswold rides specifically have a quiet session, worth looking at if in that area.
Yes, ones with jumps will be more busy.

If you need a steady buddy, why not offer to pay their fee, or part of it, on the understanding that they stay with you.

Birker2020

Visit site
I used to 7 or 8 a year on Bailey for years and I always used to like to be as early as possible particuarly if the ground was likely to get cut up. I used to prefer to go on my own although the last half a dozen I went with a friend who was very similar to me and we used to have a ball as did the horses.

I really miss my fun rides and I'm sad I've missed out on them again for yet another year without a horse and four years in a row now. Next year will be my turn !!

Have a great time OP! Enjoy.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
IME you either have a "good" Pleasure Ride; or it is anything but "pleasurable" TBH.

The first one I ever went on with my then just-backed pony was run by a local hunt; we were about three-quarters of the way through the day (I went with a friend who had a steady horse). We were OK'ish; though not helpful when everyone got to a field which was basically on the edge of an escarpment and going down a very steep stony track, with a very narrow bit for horses to traverse, with electric fence tape flapping in the wind. Lots of horses were spooked by that to the point that it actually got quite dangerous; why this particular bit couldn't have been left out of the ride, goodness knows. Sheer folly.

The next ride we did was a local equestrian club; I took my two horses - friend rode the other mare. About 20 mins in we encountered a bottle-neck, about 20 horses all jammed up and nobody was going anywhere. Turned out there was a kiddy on a really naughty evil little sh!te of a pony which apparently had dumped said kid and was being generally obnoxious. Kid was out with mum, and nobody was wanting to pass them because as soon as anyone tried to do so then pony started acting up. So we all had to wait behind. Everyone's horse was basically like a coiled spring and some were badly hotting up. Anyway, we found out that apparently the "novices" route was sharing the "main" route for the first part of the ride - really bad idea, and like the first ride we did someone somewhere needed to think about route-planning.

I have also Stewarded at a couple of Rides: problems encountered here were kids from the local RS - who hadn't paid to join it and therefore had no idea of the route - who their instructor had just told them to "go and join in". One of these kids was observed way off the marked route right in the middle of a field wandering around on their pony, where they were deffo not supposed to be, which caused a problem with the farmer.

The best ride I've ever been on was a little Walk & Trot ride (Riding Club). Nobody being stupid or inconsiderate by hooning past everyone, and it was a great atmosphere.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I've been on a few, but not many. The more recent ones, which were over 7 years ago, I can remember are, one was absolute carnage. Horses galloping past all over. No one asking if they could pass. Another one, friend and I set off nearly last but walked round, the stewards thought we had got lost, that was a good ride. Another one , everyone seemed to set off together and the first part was on the road. Not nice. Same friend and I lost everyone else as they all galloped off!! Again it was lovely as we were at the back and there was no one left to over take!!

Fransurrey

Visit site
I'm a slow coach and tend to go in the middle. My horse is fine being overtaken, though. If I go at the end I'm conscious of the organisers hanging around (he really is slow!). I research any new rides - it doesn't take long to suss out if they're fast or not. Comments and pictures on the previous year's FB posts are pretty indicative. If a ride advertises 'loads of gallops' as a feature, round here it normally means faster as a whole. I have done the local hunt ride a few times, though, and although some people fly round, they are in the minority.

outinthefens88

Visit site
I'll put my tuppence worth in here.... Sport Endurance is on the wane a bit so to speak, efforts are being made to revive it but its a slow process as its had several years of being very small scale with zero competitive rides.

Endurance GB can seem overwhelming to some but once you get your head round it and realize 75% of the technical stuff doesn't apply to a pleasure ride, you realise they have rides absolutely everywhere, when my horse was fully fit last year we regularly did rides in Derbyshire, Lincs, Notts, Leicestershire and other all in the same month.

Galloping is not permitted and overtaking has to be 'with permission'. This is enforced, there was a relatively minor issue on a ride last year that led to several riders being suspended for a period for 'forced overtakes'.

If the Oasby ride follows the same or similar route the Endurance GB one does, its a lovely area and nice riding although some tracks can be stony in places.

irishdraft

Visit site
I do a lot of hunt rides and pleasure rides, if it's a group ride I will go on my own but if it's a pleasure ride which gives you times I will only go if I have someone to ride with. If your horse is fine with seeing horses up ahead and possibly coming past whilst on his own I'm sure you'll be fine but otherwise I would see if a friend could go with you xx

sollimum

Visit site
Update! Well we've entered and are embarking on our first pleasure ride on Sunday!! Decided to go in the last group and hoping to actually be the last to leave!! Will report back!
Eta going with a friend who horse has done a few and is usually good!
Have a great time - the organisers will let you go out last if you ask them. Look forward to your report.

SEL

Visit site
Update! Well we've entered and are embarking on our first pleasure ride on Sunday!! Decided to go in the last group and hoping to actually be the last to leave!! Will report back!
Eta going with a friend who horse has done a few and is usually good!
I'm heading out towards the end in a couple of weeks because the pony can be a prat. I've found organisers really sympathetic if you are on a youngster / green horse so I'm sure they'll be fine with you going last.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I'm heading out towards the end in a couple of weeks because the pony can be a prat. I've found organisers really sympathetic if you are on a youngster / green horse so I'm sure they'll be fine with you going last.
Hope you have a stress free ride!!