Point of hock injury not healing

ShadowHunter

Visit site
A few weeks ago my gelding injured himself over night in his stable. Just a small injury on the point of his hock but it's not healing. I put some cream on it for a few days then let it be; he seems to be knocking the scab off when he lays down/gets up in the stable. Would bandaging it with a nappy overnight help? He goes have a roll in the field regularly so would it be pointless?
Really wanting it to heal now; don't need an infected leg on my hands..

FDLady

Visit site
I found nappies didnt allow for much movement meaning as soon as they lay down it was pulled down revealing the wound ready to be hurt again when the they got back up. In the end it was treating with cream then wrapping the scab (albeit tiny in the end) with poultice, gamgee and vet wrap at night so that the joint could still move freely - took it all off during the day so the leg could breathe. My mare likes to box walk so i put a humans elastic tubular bandage over the leg/dressing and secured with electrical tape so she didnt get it off too easy at night. Did this until the scab had shrunk and then put neoprene hock boots on till it had all cleared up. My Vet also recommended deep bedding with the wet in for longer so less chance of the leg touching the concrete floor.

SallyBatty

Visit site
I used neoprene hock boots for a mare that had the same problem. However, as the boots ended up with holes where she rubbed, I ended up getting eva matting which totally solved the problem.

SusieT

Visit site
You need a bigger stable/deeper bed or both. He is scraping it on a hard surface - you need to make sure he cant

Finlib

Visit site
are you positive
there is nothing in in thorn splinter etc as that can stop a strong scab forming and therefore restrict healing.

Farcical1

Visit site
My older mare was doing much the same and the only thing that helped was putting rubber matting down to stop her going through the bedding to the concrete.
I spent ages bandaging, trying different hock boots etc, but she just pulled them off.
It's a difficult area to heal.

cauda equina

Visit site
My old boy had a hock wound while living out. It was not deep, but wouldn't heal due to (presumably) being re-scraped every time he rolled.
Hock boots were no help as they wouldn't stay on. Eventually we got it sorted using Elastoplast spray on plaster

xgemmax

Visit site
My boy does this when he lives out in the summer and re-opens the cut when he lays down again. I just whack a load of sudocrem on it everyday. He's fine when stabled as he had a deep wood pellet bed so its just the hard ground that does it. Has yours got a deep bed?

ShadowHunter

Visit site
Yes he's got a deep bed which i semi-deep litter so doesn't move much. Theres nothing in the wound to stop healing other than him taking the scab off as it forms. Hadn't thought about a spray on plaster, would be much easier if it works..

eggs

Visit site
I've had success with spray on plastic skin for a superficial wound that my horse kept on knocking open.