Pointless Exercise?

Parkranger

Visit site
I really want to try and trace my TB's irish history. he's 10 years old but apart from that we don't know anything!

he was brought over from Ireland by a local dealer (who won't give me any information) and then sold to a riding school (who are also being a bit cagey!)

I believe that in the US you can send of a sample of tail/mane and get a DNA test done but I'm not sure if there's anything similar here?

At the end of the day, I suppose it's not the most important thing inthe world, but it would be lovely to know his background!!

Parkranger

Visit site
But if he's from Ireland will that still be applicable?

I've always been convinced he's raced but a couple of other people have got on him and he shows the classic signs: leans on the bit as he goes faster, unbalanced in corners, bloody fast gallop (head down and streamlined). He's had a nasty fall on his off shoulder at some time and his front legs have alot of knocks on - makes me think maybe point to point?

seabiscuit

Visit site
Yes would definately be applicable with Weatherbys Ireland for sure.
As for the 'classic signs,' am not so sure about that, could be any untrained horse that your describing, who knows, maybe his last owner was gung ho& just liked to gallop him flat out all the time??

Parkranger

Visit site
obviously that's no guarantee, hence the reason why I'm wondering whether to just not bother.....would love to know more though.

_jetset_

Visit site
I spoke to a few associations when trying to trace Hannah's history but was told I would need to have a good idea of his breeding in order for them to trace her breeding...

Have you thought of putting him on somewhere like horsetrace or horsetracer.info??

Parkranger

Visit site
I just think (or should I say know) that he was shipped in from ireland with probably a few van loads of other horses....doubt I'll be able to trace now.

I suppose I've always had horses where I've known their background and it doesn't make any difference to the way I feel about him so I suppose I'll just get on with having fun!

katelarge

Visit site
If you really want to, then look into having him DNA tested, make a few calls, I'm sure the appropriate bodies would be happy to talk to you. I remember when you posted him being IDx cross I reckoned he looked more like a purebred TB in the Irish mould - can you contact the racing authorities in Ireland perhaps?

It IS nice to know a horse's background, like with mine, but equally if you don't know their background then you take them as you find them. What if - and it's a big if - you traced him and found out something unpleasant about his behaviour or medical history?

Parkranger

Visit site
If I found out something unpleasant about his medical history then the person who sold him to me will be giving me back some of the money.

Re. his behaviour, I'm hoping that after 6 weeks I kind of know what I've brought (and I've actually known him for about 3 1/2 months) so I would have thought that any nastiness would have come through by now....I'll make some calls to Ireland and see what I can organise.

I agree about the TB x thing - I think his passport only says that cause he doesn't have papers. Someone told me it's common practice to 'erase' a horses background if they've raced or point to pointed when they're exported from Ireland....even his name was changed.