Pointless passport rant!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Pointless because I am not sure I can do anything about it. Grrrr.

Trying to transfer Cassie's passport into my name. It's an Arab Horse Society one (she is 25% Arab). I just have the passport. Having contacted the AHS, I need a Registration Certificate and a transfer of ownership form signed by the previous registered owner. She has only got one previous registered owner - her breeder, but has had 3 owners in between in 9 years. I am not sure if the breeder is still alive as having spoken to one of the previous owners, he was elderly. To get a duplicate Registration Certificate is a whopping £77, plus the £25 transfer fee, plus £7.50 postage. That is almost £110 just to comply with the law. Still waiting to hear back from them on what I do if I can't get a signature. Grumble, grumble. On the plus side, at least it is a beautiful sunny day.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Christ I haven't even seen Kia's passport in two years, it's in a box under my bed...........

seems a lot of wasted money and a bit like a scam to be paying all that money just to change a horse into your name.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Hmm seems a bit ott, when I wanted to replace Doodle's breeding certificate (it got ruined) they were fab, just changed it into my name (despite it not being before or indeed having any change of ownership form) not sure they even charged me. However it wasn't her passport and was a few years ago now... Hope you get it sorted and it doesn't cost that much!!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Christ I haven't even seen Kia's passport in two years, it's in a box under my bed...........

seems a lot of wasted money and a bit like a scam to be paying all that money just to change a horse into your name.

Mine are on and off the lorry loads so I always have their passports to hand. Plus their vaccinations are recorded etc.

Hmm seems a bit ott, when I wanted to replace Doodle's breeding certificate (it got ruined) they were fab, just changed it into my name (despite it not being before or indeed having any change of ownership form) not sure they even charged me. However it wasn't her passport and was a few years ago now... Hope you get it sorted and it doesn't cost that much!!

I agree. Was yours an AHS passport? All PIOs have a different way of working it seems.

This is the exact reason my mares passport is still not updated 5 years on. Waste of time and money.

Ah but the registration certificate does have a gold seal, so it must be worth it. ;) ;) ;)

"The Registration Certificate is a completely separate document that has a gold seal in the bottom right-hand corner with ‘The Arab Horse Society Registration Certificate’ written on it in blue and gold and the name of the horse printed in large black bold letters below the heading. It also shows the date of birth, sex, colour, names of the Sire and Dam and the name and address of the breeder on it. It should be in a clear plastic wallet, but these are often missing."

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Yes, AHS are good at fleecing you and then they wonder why so many do not update them.
Plus the fact that the separate registration certificate, change of ownership details should be included into the passport anyway, it's a ludicrous system as you've found out. Will they not accept a receipt from the previous owner as collateral?

Stinkyhorses

Visit site

Speaking of a waste of money - I sent mine to Weatherby's to to have a change of ownership for a lovely £30 and all that happened is someone wrote my address in in Biro and sent it back!!! Took them MONTHS!

I could have done that myself.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Yes, AHS are good at fleecing you and then they wonder why so many do not update them.
Plus the fact that the separate registration certificate, change of ownership details should be included into the passport anyway, it's a ludicrous system as you've found out. Will they not accept a receipt from the previous owner as collateral?

Having spoken to them this morning, there is a way around the transfer of ownership form - they will send a blank Transfer of Ownership form to the last registered owner (in my case the breeder), at the last address they have for him, by Signed For post and allow him 3 weeks to reply. If they do not get a reply by the due date they will assume that he has no objection. I still need a separate Registration Certificate (with shiny gold seal ;) ) though in order to complete the process. This then provides another piece of paper for me to file/lose/spill tea on. Ho hum, I do love a bit of red tape, not. :)

Deltaflyer

Visit site
I haven't had my boy's passport updated yet. The lady I bought him from hadn't either. It's an Irish passport. I know I should but I keep forgetting. I'm worried about sending it off and having to wait months to get it back as I will need it for he has his annual jabs.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
No she was bought before passports were mandatory I think so she has a bog standard PetID passport when we microchipped her, but has her registration (complete with shiny gold seal ;)) certificate with the AHS.

hairycob

Visit site
I have a horse with an AHS passport and had similar problems when I bought him nearly 9 years ago. Previous owner had not changed into her name & the only person in the passport had moved & I couldn't track her down. Never did the transfer in the end (naughty I know). I understand that the passport law has been unenforceable since the beginning of January anyway due to DEFRA'so failure to do something or another.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com