Pointless post, someone make a decision for me!!!

ridersince2002

Visit site
Bit of a pointless post really.. Been having a really long convorsaton with Mummy :p and told her about the current situation at the sales, shes not at all horsey! But she know knows that you can get a foal for next to nothing, and there are alot of nice ponies in need of homes. She has said it MIGHT be possible for me to *finally* get a pony :D :D although no promises, and nothing is definite :(

Anywayy.. searching for a suitable mount at the moment!! ;) I would like save something from a voyage to europe to end up on a plate. Im not extreemely experienced, ive backed an easy pony, and helped with a few others, ride a nutter new forest and a handfull of arabs but i dont think i want to buy something almost unhandled thats going to be alot of hard work because if it all goes wrong then it could get ruined as i wouldnt be experienced enough to deal with it :/ Athoughh actually, i do know someone with alot of experience who said they will always give me a hand with anything horsey and have said that they will help me should i need help if i ever buy a youngster :) so an unbroken but handled pony could be a possibility, but would probably be more sensible if i didnt.

I was also thinking about a broken youngster to bring on myself.. But thinking about it these are silly ideas for a first horse!!

Also was thinking maybe a little new forest or connie or welsh or something that i can just have alot of fun with and dont need to worry about getting everything right.. but that jsut seems far to sensible, and i know i would end up being really fussy over something like this and would end up refusing to buy the perfect pony just because its grey and needed alot of keeping clean!

Ooh another thought was a pair of shetlands (im light enough to ride a fit shetland, as long as i dont over do it)!! Occasionally ride, but just mainly take for walks and jump in hand and show inhand, i think i would love that!!

Wouldnt want a tb or something that needs alot off feeding and alot of looking after as not the richest, so maybe i should wait till i can afford to spoil it rotten before buy a pony? And just not get anything yet and carry on riding all of the ones i do and building my experience, because if i was to get my own pony i would have to stop riding the others who i love to bits :/ im very lucky to have a pony i can treat as my own, but not have to see every day and dont have to pay for (although i choose to contibute what i can afford), but i would like something to call my own.

Ah decisions decisions, not expecting ANYONE to have read all this, it really is long and utterly pointless!! :eek: And i think must be my second or third post today- ive been off school ill all day ;)

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I don't want to burst your balloon but you should make your mum aware that it's not (and never has been) the buying that's the expensive part, it's the keep of a pony. Two ponies, unless you have your own land, however small they are, are more expensive than one.

Dobby

Visit site
You might have the experience and more experienced friends to bring on/back a pony, but for your first pony I would say definitely get something you can have fun on! If you get something that is very young, you can rule out riding for a couple of years, and if you get something very, very green, you can rule out bombing around and having loads of fun and games etc. That's just what I would do :)

competitiondiva

Visit site
I can see from your post that you are very excited!! But don't get carried away with the idea yet! You and you're parents need to go into this with your eyes open about the annual costs of keeping a horse, insurance, livery, feeding, bedding, worming, vaccinations, vets fees, farrier etc etc etc, the list goes on!!

With regard to saving a horse from the meat trade, as you are looking at a first horse, I would not suggest necessarily trying to go down this route, there are alot of horses and ponies that end up there, simply because they are not fit to be ever ridden etc, as depressing as that is, it is a problem that needs sorting out at the origin. If you want to rescue a horse/pony I would strongly suggest you go to one of the major organisations, who have themselves rescued the animals in their care, worked on them and as such, you will have something that you can enjoy, and know that you have helped with equine welfare, look at some of the links below for an idea of what there is available, others may offer other sites too:

http://www.bluecross.org.uk/2584/Adopt-a-horse-or-pony.html

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/pets/rehoming/petsearch (under animal select horse)

http://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/help-today/horse-loan-scheme-search

Kokopelli

Visit site
First off totally agree with Jemima_too make sure you take this into account!

Secondly you seem to have your head in a big jumble, think long and hard about what you want to do as you don't want to buy a shetland then in a years time want to start pony club. Get your head sorted before you start looking so your not wasting the sellers time. I've been in a similar situation to you after loosing Koko I had no idea what type of horse I wanted as we don't have enough money to replace him fully so I had a lot of options.

Finally you seem so excited, I don't want to be negative but don't give your hopes up about getting your own pony.

Ohh and the BHS have just realised a Buying Your Horse Guide which may be worth a look :)

Vodkagirly

Visit site
When doing sums to see if I could afford a horse I realised it would cost the same to keep it for 3 months in winter as it would cost to buy some of the allrounders that were advertised.... the cost of tack, rugs, stablekit etc works out as much as some horses.
Work out costs before you even think about buying.

Umbongo

Visit site
Agree with others. Have you taken into account just how much a horse costs to keep? Buying it isn't the main worry! I think you need to think long and hard about what type of horse you want and what you want to do in the future. I would say as a first horse a nice native been there done it type. When i was younger I wanted a tb off the track, then a couple of years later I wanted a big WB. Now I am older and have had many loan horses etc I have realised more what kind of horse I want for the things I want to do.

Would suggest as a first horse to not save horses from the meat wagon. They may be there for a reason and unsuitable to be ridden/behavioural problems. Being humanely slaughtered for meat is not as bad as ending up in the wrong home/being badly cared for/past from pillar to post etc. If you want to have a rescue pony then do have a look into the rescue charities.

As Kokopelli said, don't get your hopes up yet :( When I was younger my mum once said they may be able to afford a pony, then found out how much they cost to keep/vets etc. I am 22 now and still probably have to wait a few years until I am in a full time job and can afford the on-going keep.

To me the situation you are in at the moment sounds ideal. Maybe just keep sharing the pony you have now, and help out other people by riding theirs until you think about what you want and how you can afford it. Maybe look into loaning a pony? I loaned a few horses in the past and it has really opened my eyes to what's involved and how much it all costs! Also helped decided what kind of horse I want.

Last edited:

ridersince2002

Visit site
Yep, parents know that keeping a horse is VERY expensive, if they didnt know, id already have my very own beastling. But a relative has sadly passed away and left us a fair bit of money, and he was always keen on my riding so mum thought it would be a nice idea to look into buying some land and trying to get planning to build a small yard on it, and if it all goes right then that would reduce the cost of keeping a pony, and also we would have space for a livery :) And as for the care of it, I do a yard of 12 horses including 2 stallions on my own most saturdays and have done for several years (probably not sensible, but there we go) so i know the basics :)

Dont worry, my hopes arent up yet, i can always dream :eek:

Thank you for all your feedback, I hadnt thought about a rescue center! That sounds like a brilliant idea as they would be able to (hopefully) pick one of thier ponies that suited me best :D

applecart14

Visit site
Yep, parents know that keeping a horse is VERY expensive, if they didnt know, id already have my very own beastling. But a relative has sadly passed away and left us a fair bit of money, and he was always keen on my riding so mum thought it would be a nice idea to look into buying some land and trying to get planning to build a small yard on it, and if it all goes right then that would reduce the cost of keeping a pony, and also we would have space for a livery :) And as for the care of it, I do a yard of 12 horses including 2 stallions on my own most saturdays and have done for several years (probably not sensible, but there we go) so i know the basics :)

Dont worry, my hopes arent up yet, i can always dream :eek:

Thank you for all your feedback, I hadnt thought about a rescue center! That sounds like a brilliant idea as they would be able to (hopefully) pick one of thier ponies that suited me best :D

It sounds like you are competent enough. Just please ensure whatever you buy you get vetted first. Good luck hun x