Pokey Nosed Pony

Carlosmum

Visit site
At the risk of some harsh criticism, I am asking for help.
Said pony is very slow off the leg, has always been. For various reasons I have not been able to solve the issue. You can see from the photo we do not look a pretty sight, and his saddle looks too far forward. I have real difficulty in keeping a contact and keeping him forward, would it be worth riding with either side reins or a harbridge to help keep a consistent contact whilst I am chasing the back end.
Regular lessons would help but I have to face to fact that irregular lessons are my destiny.

Back is fine, teeth due & Saddle check being booked today.

attachment.php

Please be kind :)

spider

community.webshots.com
I have the same problem a lot of the time. But hopefully improving. You cant really ask the horse to accept the contact unless he is going forward enough. I would stop worrying about the front end for now and concentrate on getting the back end working. Lots of transitions help particularly halt to trot and walk to canter. He needs to go when you say, use your leg lightly, if no response kick, if no response use a stick. You may that he will be more forward going once the saddle is sorted as it may be restricting his shoulders.If you artificially hold his head in you will get a false outline. Has he got a lazy nature or is this behaviour unusual? If the latter has he been checked by a vet?

Leo Walker

Visit site
He looks tense and very uncomfortable. Hopefully getting the saddle sorted resolves it, but if not I'd be looking into it a bit more to see if there is an underlying physical issue

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Hi, saddle needs sorting first, if he is not comfortable then he cannot produce god work.

Then, forwards next. If you do not have the forwards then artificial aids to cramp the front end will just be harmful. Forwards is very possible, it is a matter of timing, but you would probably need a trainer on the ground to help you achieve the timing.

Then, poking the nose means to me that he does not understand the action and desired response to the bit. This can be taught in hand, but you would need a skilled trainer to gain the timing and feel, and once you have that on the floor, you can transfer it to ridden work, couple that with the forwards ridden to have a harmonious feel.

Just hauling the front end in will most likely end in a tense, choppy horse, nose in but back hollow, not a nice feel for either of you and no way to achieve athletic results.

Carlosmum

Visit site
Pleased to say I have booked the saddle fit for 10 days time. He has always been a lazy pony in the school, much better out hacking but also a 'bucker' so I don't ride him alone. He had a full vet check a few years ago and physio last autumn, nothing has changed since then either in his performance or attitude.
Facilities at home are limited but I am determined to crack him this year!

Shay

Visit site
From the image it actually looks as if the saddle has lifted from his back as you rose which is worrying. So saddle check / re-fit definitely needed. You may find that once you get his saddle and back sorted the bucking will stop too! Once you get the saddle fit sorted I would be included to get the physio back to deal with any residual soreness. If that doesn't result in an improvement I would be wondering about hocks / SI etc impairing his ability to drive forward correctly; which you will need a vet for.

tristar

Visit site
yes it is hard to ride well with the pony like this, but, your arms are very straight, you could try placing your head more over your body, making your body not so tilted forward, expand your chest drop your shoulders to make them soft and have bend in your elbows, when you have a more positive seat and your hands are not blocking the pony from going forwards the contact will be elastic or with him soft, he needs to go forward into a non blocking contact then you can make him straight, then he will truly go forward and the school movements will help the pokey nose.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Actually, the pony/horse IS trying to be forward (look at his hind end), but is cramped, hollow and plainly uncomfortable. If he was mine, I wouldn't be riding at all. I'd be looking at the saddle, lunging with side reins and working on relaxation and lift in the back. Do you have a useful instructor?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Actually, the pony/horse IS trying to be forward (look at his hind end), but is cramped, hollow and plainly uncomfortable. If he was mine, I wouldn't be riding at all. I'd be looking at the saddle, lunging with side reins and working on relaxation and lift in the back. Do you have a useful instructor?

This.
If you know the saddle doesn't fit, as in it slips forward, why on earth are you riding in it?,