Pole covers - any good?

Jingleballs

Visit site
We've got 8 wooden poles at the yard that we got from our local timber merchant for much cheapness.

We've had them for a couple of years now and although the intention was to paint them it's never happened.

As a results they are looking a bit worse for wear although still prefectly functional.

I was looking at the pole covers the robinsons do and there is also someone on ebay who sells them and they are about £3.50 per cover.

Just wondered if people had opinions on whether or not they are any good? I know that painting the poles is the best option but it's just finding the time to do it!

Emma S

Visit site
I have used the plastic sleeve type ones which disintergrated after a short while, they are also generally too big for the poles and can flap around a bit but otherwise they are a good idea! :)

Headpiece

Visit site
why cant you paint them? its going to work out the same price and be much better. Get any gloss paint in the sale and a helpful child or have a decorating pole party at the yard with a prize to the winner:)

Jingleballs

Visit site
I think we probably will just gradually paint them especially if the pole covers aren't hard wearing- just need to drag them all up from the arena to let them dry off first and then paint them in the barn and drag them back.

So would normal wood gloss do the trick? I had no clue what type of paint to get either - I want something nice and colourful but also something that will protect the wood against the elements!

Blitzen

Visit site
I bought some because a local yard runs a novice ODE and use pole covers over working hunter fences for the SJ phase. My mare hated them, and cleared the 2ft6 fences with about 18inches to spare! So I thought it would be handy to use them at home occasionally so she could get used to them. x

Boxers

Visit site
I bought some from Robinsons about 5 years ago and they are still ok. A bit worn obviously and the colour has faded a bit too, but they still make the poles 'coloured'. They only cost a few pounds and are well worth it in my opinion.