Police Horses, Should they be used?

Whats your favourite?

• Total voters

AlicksD

New User
Visit site
Hi, I'm doing some research for a college project. I was just wandering if you would mind posting your views on Police horses, and whether you think they should be used. The more detail the better!!

Or you could just do the poll, or both
smile.gif

Thank you very much

SSM

Visit site
Some of the most effective crowd control the police have, also great PR for them - a neighbour is a mounted police man and says the horses come back rattling with polos!!!!!!!

Won't even comment on the breed that should be used as a standard (scuttles off back to under her rock)

equibabe20

Visit site
At the retirement home where I work, we get a lot of police horses come to us to retire and they are very well looked after and happy when they arrive, and most of them retire about 18/19 so have short working lives. i agree with GTS that they enjoy having a job. Some of them don't cope very well with not having anything to do when they come to us!!!

Vicki1986

Visit site
i think they should. they are well cared for and have a purpose in life - so many horses stand around in a field ignored, these horses have successful meaningful lives and recieve better care than most in the country.

metalmare

Visit site
Well I can't wait to see the Met. police perform with their horses at the Spanish Riding School show! They are jumping through fire and demonstrating the horse's quality and obedience.

harvgj19

Visit site
I think Police Horses are great.

Many times OH and I went up to Old Trafford to see ManU play, and there were always a load of police horses there. As someone else said, everyone was trying to feed them polo's!

I think they are a great way of doing crowd control. Being on a horse is more imposing than being on foot for the police officers, and its not like they could do crowd control from a vehicle really.

Clodagh

Visit site
The only time I have seen police horses non plussed was at the Hunting Parliament Square demos, all those hunting horns helped, and the fact that the crowd knew how to make a horse move back, something your average football hooligan probably never needs to know!
tongue.gif

I think they should definately be used, wonderful animals.
smile.gif

kick_On

Visit site
i was there, that was amazing, where we were they withdrew them cos riders were 'bricking it', as everyone knew how to deal with horses and tack......

truffles

Visit site
Oh definately - Have connections with them and they are all as happy as can be. They get spoiled with polos and their riders are up at 5am buffing their bums till they shine!
tongue.gif
Sorry, not particularly helpful lol, but I think they love their job - am yet to meet one that doesn't!
laugh.gif

It's also a good way of interacting with a crows - the kids adore them, and people definately know not to mess with a Police Horse - they certianly do look (and are) very tough and magnificant!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
In Leeds, where I work, they use them around the roads and in the parks. They are really good at patroling the parks, high profile, public friendly and do little damage to the park land, also increase security for park users as they spend much more time there than vehicles would.

Twiglet

Visit site
It brightens up my work day to see a lovely pair of Irish neds walking through the City - beats the usual bores in suits!

I was walking to the station from my office one night and was behind to police horses - heard a tell tale rattle coming from one of them - one very loose and twisted shoe!
Told PC Plod who hopped down and between us we had to remove offending article, after which he had to wait for the police horsebox to come from the other side of London to pick them up!
Very bizarre.