Political correctness gone mad? Shilpa - Big Brother

Sal_E

Visit site
I see there is now an email doing the rounds - click the link & sign the 'STOP SHILPA BEING A VICTIM OF RACISM'. I despair.

The girls are being bitches, YES. The girls are bullying her, YES. I went to an all girls school & got emotionally (never physically) bullied for 5 years & know exactly how that can make you feel - I honestly do feel sorry for Shilpa although she is not totally blameless.

However, I have seen no signs of racism. I have only watched the edited shows so maybe something has happened on the live shows that I've missed; until someone can enlighten me as to where the genuine racism is coming from, I shall remain on my soapbox regarding this subject. This is political correctness gone mad - how the hell calling an Indian person 'the Indian' is racist is beyond me. Rude & ignorant without a doubt, but it's not racism. If a Brit was is an Indian equivalent of BB & got referred to as 'the white girl' I (& I presume everyone else) would not consider that racism (again, just rather ignorant).

I am totally against genuine racism of course, but this just looks like common school-room bitching to me. Not acceptable, but not racism.

I'll copy this post to my home email account later as it can form part of the stinking email I shall be sending to that idiot MP who raised it in the House of Commons yesterday.

OK, off Soapbox now. Happy to be corrected on this (& I'll sign the petition immediately if someone can explain the genuine racism - other than that, maybe I should start a more appropriate 'stop being bitches' petition).

*and breeeeath*

Tempi

Visit site
i totally agree with you......people obviously have nothing better to do. ive never seen any racial abuse either, but like you ive only watched the edited shows. yes the girls are being a bit nasty towards her, but no more than anyone has been to anyone else in past shows.

TGM

Visit site
SAL_E - I AM TOTALLY SHOCKED BY YOUR POST
shocked.gif

I can't believe you'd admit to watching Big Brother
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Sooty

Visit site
If she had been white this would not have made the news. It is definitely not racism, and to call it such demeans the serious issue that real racism can be. Nobody complained last year when Pete Burns had Tracey in tears after a sustained rant (although she was American), or when Michael Barrymore was screaming at Jodie Marsh. If Shilpa is so precious she should not have lowered herself to go on this show.

Gingernags

Visit site
GMTV this morning - Shilpa's agent was on and she is also of Indian appearance - and she agrees totally - it IS bullying, but it ISN'T racism.

Mind you, I've not watched a second of it, total cak and I can't believe its making headlines and getting questions asked in Parliament - CALM DOWN, ITS ONLY A TV SHOW!

(Not aimed at you though Sal - just general!)

haybales

Visit site
i agree it is just bullying, but would say that comments such as "do you live in a shack" and "do they all eat with their fingers" is pushing it abit! maybe that's where the racism accusations are coming from? i do wish people would show their disdain for these "celebrities" by just switching off.

Sal_E

Visit site
Ha ha - you are totally right, it IS cak, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of cak every now & again!
grin.gif

This is the first celeb BB I've ever watched so can't comment on previous cases of potential bullying but it's interesting to hear that it's happened before between 'whites' & as such, hasn't been picked up on.

Also, it's REALLY interesting to hear the opinion of her Indian agent...

Gingernags

Visit site
I think its just showing them up as being ignorant and very stupid and bitchy.

And celebs? Well, at least 4rd or 4th rate! How on earth Jade can be on a list of influential people beggars belief!

The only reality one I'll watch, celeb or otherwise, is I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here - mainly for A&D but also to watch the "celebs" suffer!!!!

Sooty

Visit site
I think that is more demonstrating their own ignorance than being racist. Being racist would be if they actually asserted that the person lived in a shack (presumably, one without modern plumbing) rather than asking. And the majority of Indians do eat with the fingers of their right hand, the left hand being considered unclean as it is used for *ahem* bathroom cleansing activities.

haybales

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think that is more demonstrating their own ignorance than being racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you're right, makes me rather sad

sojeph

Visit site
..as I put on the other thread about this, noone picked up on the fact that Shilpa found it hilarious the way Jade and Jo said 'Whale' in a cockney accent and mocked them to others several times. Innocent maybe but if it was the other way round would have been labelled racism?! Totally daft the whole thing. All I see is the younger ones grouping together and having a bitch (Danielle being the worst IMO). Jermaine and Shilpa decided within minutes of Jade walking in the house that they didn't care for her and discussed this in the loo together!!..and the others staying reasonably neutral..If they were all white, all black or all chinese/asian or whatever nothing would be made of it at all.
crazy.gif

RLF

Visit site
Bullying Yes,
Racism No,
BB has always had bullys in it, there obviously picked for these traits to make the show watchable.

i think at the end of the day, the show is being edited this way as usual to up the ratings, and get the nation talking about it. The only winners here are the BB bosses.

RLF

Visit site
Another PC gone mad story

did anyone see the news on midlands today last night:
albion were forced to withdraw their advert in the job centre (or wherever it was) because they had asked for a 'German speaking employee, Job centre (or whoever it was) said you cannot request a german speaking aplicant because it discriminates again non german speaking applicants.

They have just received a big contract from the Spanish Riding School in Vienna and they need a german speaker.......

the world has gone loopy

Gingernags

Visit site
But FFS thats stupid - I see adverts all the time where a requirement of the job is a second language - its not discrimination - its an essential qualification of the job!!!!

I bet it was just some PC idiot at the place going over the top. Thats what all of it seems to be these days - not what DOES offend people, its what narrow minded petty idiots THINK will offend. Maybe they should stop thinking!!!!

Sal_E

Visit site
Gawd help all of us! I think my parents had the right idea when they emigrated to Spain!

Very valid point re Shilpa laughing about 'whale'.

sunflower

Visit site
That is utterly ridiculous. If they had requested a german applicant then fair enough but the ability to speak german is presumably a requirement of the job. How is that any different to jobs adverts requiring the applicants to have a degree in maths, or a medical degree
mad.gif

As for BB - I havent' seen it but have seen clips and I do think it is bullying but I don't think they're picking on her because she's Indian. If she was ugly chances are the comments would be about her looks, if she was fat - her weight, if she was an ignorant little chav then she would be the one doing the bullying. Whether the comments are down to racism, ignorance or just the usual bullies tactic of picking on whatever make a person different I don't know (but I also saw a clip of her and one of the others calling the 3 girls 'white trash').

The Voice

Visit site
"I'll copy this post to my home email account later as it can form part of the stinking email I shall be sending to that idiot MP who raised it in the House of Commons yesterday."

Are you saying asian British MP's are idiots, surely thats racist
shocked.gif

LIL PJ

Visit site
The girls are just being girls, it happens all the time, it just so happens that its being braodcast. Just beacuse shulpa happens to be asian/indian/ everyone classes it as racist which is actually quite hypocritical! Shes being bullied fair enough but stop pointing out shes indian! Were not supposed to aknowledge factors such as colour aren't we???!!! its an absolute joke

Gingernags

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
"I'll copy this post to my home email account later as it can form part of the stinking email I shall be sending to that idiot MP who raised it in the House of Commons yesterday."

Are you saying asian British MP's are idiots, surely thats racist
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nooooo - she never mentioned the MP was asian, just that he was an idiot - thats not any sort of discrimination - I thought being an idiot was a requirement of being an MP and theredore they all are??!!

The Voice

Visit site
That's the point, a simple quote can been used for what ever purpose someone wants to use it for (normally there own purpose and cause) by simply twisting it slightly.

I totaly agree about the MP's
smile.gif

RLF

Visit site
Just seen the latest news, the people in India are protesting in the street with banners over Shilpa's treatment.........

sojeph

Visit site
not convinced I'd call it bullying either TBH. Just bitching. Danielle, Jade and Jo were bound to form a clique - they're all a similar age. Shilpa is 31 (I think) and not on their wavelength at all. I really can't see the problem here. If she was Indian/Asian, the same age and on their wavelength I really, really don't for one minute think they would have a problem with her.

sugarnspice

Visit site
My mum and I were talking about this in the car on the way home. In a way its inverse racism is what we came up with. Basically things like this happen in BB all the time, for example Aisleyne and Grace last BB. Can't remember the details exactly but seem to remember it was similar, they where both the same skin colour though so obviously it was okay.
Apparently Daniele saying "You don't know where her fingers have been". See, I never knew that poor parts of India didn't use toilet roll, so I doubt that she did (not saying i am super smart), but people have taken that as being racist.
At the end of the day the way I see it is Jo, Jade and Danielle are just being 'girls' and bitching.

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
And the majority of Indians do eat with the fingers of their right hand, the left hand being considered unclean as it is used for *ahem* bathroom cleansing activities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually... most cultures eat (by hand) with their prominant hand and do the bathroom stuff (rear end) with the other.... including our own culture.... (knew that anthropology degree would come in useful somewhere lol).
wink.gif

Test the theory next time you go to the loo lol!
tongue.gif

clipclop

Visit site
It is madness.

Apparently now we are not allowed to advertise for a "Dynamic" person to come and work for us as that is generally a word used for young people and that is being "Ageist" (Sp)? Hmmmm, If anything is Ageist it is assuming someone over a certain age isn't dynamic!! WTF

We are not allowed to ask age at all anymore. Perfect way to waste everyone's time if you ask me.

Regarding BB and the racism. I heard somewhere today that someone in the house had called Jade's Mum "White Trash". Errrr, isn't this racism! Oh no, she's white it doesn't count!!

Never mind, like someone else said Channel Four is profiting nicely from all this publicity.

Tis a funny ol world innit?

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
If she had been white this would not have made the news. It is definitely not racism, and to call it such demeans the serious issue that real racism can be. Nobody complained last year when Pete Burns had Tracey in tears after a sustained rant (although she was American), or when Michael Barrymore was screaming at Jodie Marsh. If Shilpa is so precious she should not have lowered herself to go on this show.

[/ QUOTE ]
Admittedly I don't watch CBB and only know what's going on through online news sites, but I've not read a thing that would suggest that this anything more than bitching and bullying. I agree totally that if she were white, no one would give a monkey's!
Bl**dy well said, Sooty
smile.gif

icklechlo

Visit site
trouble is is jade and jo etc dont really know about the indian culture, so they are bound to ask silly questions! i went to an all girls school too, and it is just like the bitchin that goes on there, some people cant help but be a bit ignorant, and because of that, they have to ask questions! it is bullying, but they arent being racist, they are just showing the difference in cultures and, in a rather rude way, sort of trying to learn about it!