poll - block built or wood

Are you comeing to warmer climate of Siberia

• Total voters

4whitesocks

Visit site
Can those of you have have either fill me on on why you chose them - having decided on block built I am now having problems getting labour, and the budget is getting tighter etc and am starting to think it might be easier and more cost effective to buy ready built wooden ones...am thinking 2 12x12 and a feed/tack room

don't need planning for anything under 400 sq ft and farmer next door should sell me hay so won't need to be able to store a huge amount at once (he has baby forklift and oculd drop it down to me)

basically folks - why did you choose what you did and what problems have you encountered with either....

Thanks!

Niamhy

photobucket.com
We have block on the yard, and wooden ones, but I have seen those new wooden ones that take a day to put up, and I have to say I was very very impressed.

They have concrete floors and I have seen ones that have 2 stables and a tack room, I thought they were really, really nice!!

Fiona

Visit site
My brother has wooden stables and don't like them for 2 reasons...
1- seem v warm in the summer, though they got an extra opening put in the back wall which helps I think
2 - I don't think his are well enough secured to the base (2 layers of brickwork) as they had a horse try to come over the door, and actually moved the double wooden stable on its foundations
We have 3 stables 2 are block with a corrugated iron lined with felt roof, and one is v old stone building with tile lined with felt roof. The stone built stable is the warmest, but the other 2 are good too, and are lovely nad cool in the summer.

Fiona

RunToEarth

Visit site
I love block built stables, the top yard looks smarter because it is stone finish but I generally like them better because they look nicer. Have some wooden ones where I ride for someone, and they are lovely, but have a hell of a lot of holes where horses have booted wall. I know they would damage themselves if they booted block, but my lad has never booted anything but him door, and when placed in a wooden stabled he did kick the sides.
Ony downsides for block is my tack gets damp sometimes, so if you get blocks built I would either have aluminium or wooden clad tackroom.
smile.gif
x

Malibu

Visit site
i prefer conccrete floor with stone stable but with rubber matting on floor and rubbe rkick boards on wall, becuase there are more sturdy, less maintanence, easier to keep clean and more fire proof and also liek already said no kick holes!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I renovated a yard with wooden stables for a friend. There were 12 stables, office, tack room & feed store & had been left vacant for a long time. I had to replace numerous boards lining the stables & other panels which had either rotted or been kicked through. Without a doubt if you can build block stables they are far better. They don't rot, are more fire resistant, cool in summer & warm in winter.
As for floors, concrete with rubber matting over the top. Quicker to muck out & more comfotable for horses to stand or lie on than cold concrete.