POLL: frequency of dentistry

Is is too big?

• Total voters

Sal_E

Visit site
It seems the majority of people get their horse's teeth done every 6 or 12 months. My EDT recommends every 6 months but historically I'd have them done every 12 months. So, assuming your horse is adult but not old & has no problems current or previous (but teeth are not done under sedation, which can result in a more thorough session)...

fairhill

Visit site
Our dentist is normally up at the yard a couple of times a year. I have their teeth checked every 6 months or so if he's up, as he doesn't charge unless he does work.
My 5 yr old has been done 6-monthly as she needed her wolf teeth removing, and we were waiting for them to come through. The older horse's teeth have only needed rasping yearly.

miamibear

Visit site
My dentist reccomends every 6 months, in fact our dentist is with us at the beginning of Dec, i got him done in june too. Both time he needs sedation because he has to use the electric drill rasp!!

Im hoping i will get away with yearly visits next time, although will probably give in and get him done every 6 months.

If he is an idiot to do without sedation i would get him done every year with sedation - works out too expensive to get him done every 6 months with sedation and cant be too good for the horse either!!

xx

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Mine comes every 6 months. He even sends me a text message as a reminder a few weeks before he's due
smile.gif

sojeph

Visit site
Coloured cobbie - never in 10 years
Other cobbie - once in 12 years
Daughters pony - never in 4 years
Welshie - twice in 12 years
Shettie - never

All checked last month and all fine.

samp

Visit site
Mione is done every year - however done 6 months a go and gone a bit gobby so may have to have her mouth checked soon

evsj

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Im being awkward as mine has his done every 9 months as recomended to us by our dentist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here - our ED says 6 months is a waste of time unless there are problems or horse is aged.

Sparklet

Visit site
My dentist does advise checking every 6 months but usually only treats once a year.

Because my awkward one needs to be sedated it isnt practical or good for her to be knocked out every 6 months on the off chance she will need treatment. I prefer to have her done properly once a year.

Tempi

Visit site
every 12 months, Bloss's hardly need much work doing to them after 12 months so she dosent need every 6. My dentist tells me when he thinks i should arrange for him to come next and he always says to leave it for a year.

hjw

Visit site
Every three months... always need sharp edges taking off each time... can usually tell by how accepting they are of the contact when they are ready for doing

Theresa_F

Visit site
Every 8 - 9 months. My dentist says 6 is too much and for Cairo, 12 months is too long. He would rather do a little work than a lot of work - nicer for the horse. He also doesn't charge if there is no work to be done, or he is introducing a baby to the gag and rasp.

Macha

Visit site
Does anyone know of a good dentist in the south wales/glos area ?
I have just got my mare and as I don't know a lot of horsey people yet am trying to track down a dentist and backperson.

claire1976

Visit site
I think it must vary from horse to horse. Although I was told by my dentist as a rule every 6 months for younger horses upto 10ish then every 12 months is usually OK. But I think you have to tailor it to each individual horse, personally my 15yr old TB manages fine once every year.

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
As most others evey 12 months - asked my vet last time if we should step it up to 6 months as my girl is getting old, he said no, whilst there are no problems 12 months is fine

riotgirl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Shettie - never

[/ QUOTE ]

*whispers* I'm so pleased to here this! My Welshie lasted 9 years without getting done. The dentist came out last year to check her before I broke her in and he said she was fine and didn't need doing. Apparently the chewing on bark etc she does keeps them down as they do in the wild. He is coming back yearly just to keep an eye.

Oaksflight

Visit site
Mine is done once a year, but he's 13 now though and needs sedation for it, useless hoss! Get the vet to quickly check over them when theyre out mid-year for something else, but he seems fine with once a year.

KateStartin

Visit site
Dentist recommends every 6 months as a rule but with horses with no problems every 12 months is fine. Mine has to be sedated so definitely 12 months to combine with jabs and clipping!!!!!!

sojeph

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shettie - never

[/ QUOTE ]

*whispers* I'm so pleased to here this! My Welshie lasted 9 years without getting done. The dentist came out last year to check her before I broke her in and he said she was fine and didn't need doing. Apparently the chewing on bark etc she does keeps them down as they do in the wild. He is coming back yearly just to keep an eye.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hee, hee - don't whisper! Say it loud - nothing to be ashamed of
grin.gif

Mine live out 24/7, 365 days a year, no hard feed, just hay when required. I don't know if that why or whether it contributes or whether mine just have perfect shaped mouths
grin.gif

Faithkat

Visit site
I'm like you, never had a dentist near any of mine, never needed to. The statements saying that the dentist recommends every six months . . . of course they do, they're making money for themselves. It's exactly the same as human dentists, you don't need check ups every six months but they've got to con money out of you somehow!!! Funny how horses have managed for thousands of years without dentists . . . .

Patches

Visit site
The way my dentist does things is that any horse/pony under 10 years of age is routinely done every 6 months. When they are 9/10 they're assessed to see if they can go for the full 12 months. It's not an "exact science", it depends on each individual horse.

Bit like farriery I guess. One of my horses cannot go over 4 weeks as she grows so much foot and wears her shoes to a knife edge. My daughter's little oony happily goes 8 weeks though.