poll-hay in winter in field

Whats your favourite?

• Total voters

siennamiller

Visit site
just had discussion with best friend, we have our horses in field together plus one other. I want to put bale out in metal thingy ( 1 large bale per wek) so they have something to eat during day.
She doesn't want to, aprtly due extra money, partly because she says quite good doer cob does not need it
What do you all think?
First poll so excuse crapness of it-LOL

Tia

Visit site
I have tombstone feeders in all of my fields and the horses always have hay available to them. I feed round bales and as soon as they almost finish one, the feeder is filled with a new one.

I personally wouldn't allow my horses to go without hay through the day.

frannieuk

Visit site
My grazing is absolute cra* so I've been feeding hay for a month or so now, I've always fed hay as soon as the grazing starts to drop a bit.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I always see my horse has got hay out in the field in the winter. The fact that your friend's horse is a good doer has little to do with it. hay won't put weight on the horse,however it will keep its gut working correctly. It must be down to money. She'll have to find the money really as her horse does need forage throughout the day. Also any hay you put out will also be eaten by her horse as well unless of course you can partition off the field.

You've got a problem there which will need sorting out soon. Good Luck
ooo.gif

siennamiller

Visit site
our grazing is not great.
That is exactly what I said. It is asking for colic having them picking at nothing all day. Also they get very stroppy at the end of the day and start scrapping.
Thanks guys

sevenoceans

Visit site
My Horse field mates had passed away this year (2 of them) and another has been moved, he has whole field to himself (think it's 4 acres) he got unbelieveble grazing here! so i am hoping he can see most of winter with out hay (he's stabled nightly with adlib hay), I will give hay if there's serious frost/snow.

I think you have a problem here with your friend... Hay is just a forage/bulk which fills horse up. IF it were me i'd fence off and have a paddock of your own in same field (to keep in visual company of others) feed as much hay to your horse.

L

lilym

i start to pop some out once the grazing peters out, but this year WOW! i have never had grass like it!! so looks like i won't need hay in fields until xmas!

Capriole

Visit site
is in terms of my livery that we arent allowed to hay in field, if theres no grazing we're to bring them in. would otherwise though

Chex

Visit site
The farmer put a bale of haylage out for the sheep last year, so the horses can eat that if they want to. I prefer not having hay out though, his field is massive and there will be plenty grass to root about for during the day. If its snowy I prefer hay/haylage out.

princesskelly

Visit site
mine out 3 and a half days a week so dont need to out much hay out. been lucky with the grazing at the moment but when it does dissapear will put a bit of hay out. it's only for two ponys during the day.