POLL: mudfever - clip or leave hairy?

What to do for the next few days untill new mask arrives

• Total voters

Sal_E

Visit site
OK, same old question...

Horse prone to mudfever (but not got it yet) - clip the legs out to help with management (i.e. easier to keep clean, easier to dry) & to spot early signs OR leave hairy to give some protection. I know what the text book would say, just wondered what the majority view was...

Thanks!

brightmount

Visit site
Not only don't clip, but leave them alone completely and resist the compulsion to hose off, brush off etc which leaves the skin much more vulnerable to mud fever. Of course once you've got it, you would have to wash the leg to treat but this should be done gently with a bucket and anti-fungal antibacterial shampoo such as H10.

My first cob came to me with mud fever, but she was in poor general condition, and she never got it again, even living out. I kept her feathers long and she went into each winter brimming with condition.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Agree. My cobs live out all year round and during the winter never get there legs washed. They walk around with muddy dredlocks but they have never (touch wood) got MF or had any problems. When my farrier comes, I keep them in so the mud dries and brush the worst off. My farrier tapes the hair up off of the hooves so I don't have to worry to much.
If I had to wash them, then I would use warm water with hibbiscrub in it.

icestationzebra

Visit site
I put clip. I have always found that feathers hide all sorts of things and when wet will keep the leg wet and warm - a breeding ground for bacteria. I would prefer to be able to see what was going on and to keep them clean and dry and treated.

so03

Visit site
I think it depends if your horse lives out 24/7 or out during the day and in at night.

If out 24/7 I'd leave them hairy but check for mud fever. If they do get mud fever then the hair hasn't done anything to protect them, so I would clip to help treat the area. Vet always said use hibiscrub, pick off as much of the scab as possible, dry and treat with suitable cream.

If in at night, out during the day. If you know your horse gets mud fever then I'd clip the legs and put protection cream on them each morning before turning out. Hopefully should prevent mud fever.

Hope this helps.

Tia

Visit site
For mudfever I would always clip. Oxygen kills the bacteria so the more air that can get to the wounds, the sooner it clears up. Dermatophilus thrives in damp moist conditions.

If he was my horse I would clip all the feathers off, smother in Protocon to help ease the scabs off gently and with no discomfort, wash with a dilute solution of Hibiscrub, rinse off thoroughly and dry skin and then smother in Protocon as a protection whilst horse is outside. If the horse comes in at night then do the same as above but don't put the Protocon on; just brush the hair the wrong way to let oxygen circulate.

Just my opinion based on what I have done in the past with success, however each to their own.
smile.gif

flyingfeet

Visit site
I would not clip until you have a problem

The feathers afford protection to the legs and can actually help rain drip away from the heels.

Interesting that the one I have with mud fever on one hind pastern is the one that gets washed off the most especially around his "bits" due to the amount of gunk I use with his sweet itch problem.

Nic

Visit site
I voted not sure, we normally clip my hairy but despite regular barrier applications, he invariabley gets mud fever. So this year so far he is currently hairy while we decide what to do.
crazy.gif