POLL: show sheen for clipping? (Bossonova/Parsley!)

In an average week I ride.....

• Total voters

Sal_E

Visit site
An interesting thread re clipping has me wondering... I would have thought that using show sheen was not a good idea as preparation for clipping (I wonder what it does to the blades?), but I happened to stumble upon an article in a current horsey mag that I wouldn't normally read (can't remember which one) & it said that using show sheen makes the blades glide through the coat better - fact of fiction do we think? (I know the mags can sometimes get things wrong...).

As Parsley is planning on using show sheen today & Boss thinks best not to, I though today was a good day to ask! So:

sojeph

Visit site
Have no idea but was wondering this myself! My immediate reaction was to say Noooo to show sheen but when I think about it it could make sense!!
confused.gif

druid

Visit site
Nope, wouldn't use it the blades need to get a clean cut on the hair not have the hair slipping through them!! Plus - is silcone good for the blades???

flyingfeet

Visit site
Its an interesting idea - you use oil on the blades, so I doubt silicon will damage them.

However I doubt you could get the show sheen deep enough into the coat to make any difference to the base of the hair where you are clipping.

On saying that a program of show sheen is probably beneficial before clipping to keep mud from sticking to the coat.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Yep I use coat shine on my horses before clipping. It really does make the clippers glide (really useful on natives!) better.

It doesnt seem to damage my blades but then I do clean them off after each use.

amage

Visit site
definitely not...the hair is easier to clip and you get a closer clip if the hair is standing up slightly. with show sheen it lies completely flat.