Poll try again. Brushing tails and picking out feet!!

Which day?

• Total voters

miamibear

Visit site
Quick poll.

Tail brushing - we have a few girls on the yard who brush their horses tails every night and they are very shiny but very thin and short around the edges where the hair has broken off. I was told not to brush tails unless you need to e.g shows etc.

Also just another one, who picks their horses feet out every night.

Going to try and do another poll but cant promise it will activate, havent got the hang of it yet!!

miamibear

Visit site
Ok again even though i requested a start time (like last time) it gave me 12.00 dont know why?

Anyone help?

Sorry guys!
frown.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
I brush my horses tail a couple of times a week but only brush it with a dandy brush as curry combs etc rip too much hair out. I also use mane and tail conditioner on it before i brush it. Her tail is still quite thick.

I aslo try to pick out my horses feet everynight before she goes to bed.

sorona

Visit site
I only brush nmy horses manes and tails after using mane and tal conditioner as well. I do however use a plastic curry comb or a mane comb to get through it. My boys mane is a ltitle thin but only due to swishing his tail at the flies while being backed up to the barbed wire fence and not due to brushing!!

Greyhound

Visit site
I can vote
grin.gif

I always pick the feet out no matter how muddy and disgusting, they need free circulating air to keep the healthy and also need to be free of stones and sometimes pine cones lol.

I rarely brush my mares tail, only when I have washed it and conditioned it will I brush it but only using my fingers. I cant be arsed brushing day in day out I have better things to do ie ride, plus too much brushing will damage it.

I am going to attack it this weekend lol, I might even do a before and after shot
grin.gif

Gh

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I brush my horsey's tail daily but im very very cautious about it! I always use mane and tail conditioner first and i untangle most of it with fingers before using a very wide toothed comb (the kind you use for curly hair!)

I also use a (human) strengthening conditioner on his tail rather a lot. Well, once a week ish anyway.

His tail isnt excessively thick, but I think that has more to do with his breeding. Id certainly consider it "full".

Tempi

Visit site
Both mine get their tails brushed everyday, sometimes twice a day - Bloss does have a thin tail, but its always been like that even before i brought her, and it is actually slightly thicker now than when i first had her. Archie has a perfect tail
smile.gif
I pick out both their feet every morning, and when they come in from the field and after ive finished riding - ive got a foot phobia!!!!!! Bloss can get really bad thrush, even if they arent done just one day.

Visit site
I brush my horses tails everytime I ride (normally abouut 5-6 times a week) their tails aren't thin and are very shiny and thick!
smile.gif
I pick their feet out everyday though xxx

katiejaye

Visit site
I brush Louis' tail with a body brush when and if it needs doing, before a competition and if it's muddy. I pick his feet out numerous times in a day: after his turnout, before I ride (so not to trail shavings across the yard) and before he goes to bed (after I've ridden). I thought it was the norm to pick your horse's feet out daily?

fairhill

Visit site
I always pick out their feet.
I can't be bothered brushing meg's tail every day - it's very thick and gets done before show's or if my mum is looking after her.
Chloe has got a very very thick tail - my mum brushes through it every day, and uses conditioner on it a couple of times a week, but as yet she hasn't managed to thin it, despite using the plastic curry comb.

kerrylou123

Visit site
as my horses tail is very thin, it doesn;t really need brushing much. i just run my fingers through it! Im a bit obsessive about feet tho, has to be done a couple of times daily!

SSM

Visit site
Donkey's tail is brushed out with a human hairbrush and cowboy magic (I know it's meant for the coat but it's great on her tail too!!) Mane brushed daily in the hope of pulling hair out
tongue.gif
But I never brush her forelock as it almost none existent!! - Suggestions to make it grow?

Feet - everyday

paintsplat05

Visit site
i used to brush Star's tail a few times a week(before lessons/shows etc) with m&t conditioner and a body or dandy brush. i was an obsessive feet-picker-outer but Star was never shod so i checked/picked out after coming in from a ride or field,whenever really!

SSM

Visit site
Yes please!!!!!! during the summer I was using anothers ponies tail to 'enhance' her forelock - hair extensions for horses - just call her posh!!!!!

fairhill

Visit site
I've been raking hers to reduce its thickness - last time it was plaited it looked like a tennis ball between her ears.

Hmm... I've just got an idea for a new business... Posh locks...

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Amymay's tail, and loan horse's tail are extremely thick. Loan horses has a libral spraying of show sheen - really only need to run a comb through it. Amy's doesn't get brused at the moment.

However, Freddy was a TB and I couldn't brush his tail - I had to detangle with my fingers.

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
I brush his tail prob every other day and its still unbelievably thick
I also pick his feet out twice a day and when he comes in from the field i also hibbiscrub them and once a week treat his frogs with hydrogen peroxide, this is because hes v v prone to thrush and white line disease.

SSM

Visit site
I was just thinking the same!!!!!!!

Her sister had an amazing forelock, enough to make a mane out of!!!! but Stonks has nothing
frown.gif

Patchwork

Visit site
Feet - When he comes in, before I ride to avoid tracking muck down the yard, before he goes on the walker, after hacking on stony bridleways!

Tail - Only ever after it has been washed and had conditioner/Cowboy Magic on it.

smile.gif

eventingdiva

Visit site
I brush tails a couple of times a week, put baby oil on first though, then you dont pull out too many hairs, and i prefer it to the mane and tail stuff you can buy!
Pick out feet before and after they are ridden, before leaving the stable and when they come in from the field! x

horsegirl

Visit site
Brush the tail when it looks tangled, prob once a week and although I chose everyday for hoof picking if I am doind road work then I probably wouldn't as it clears out with a fast trot.

sojeph

Visit site
I don't brush tails in general just wash them if necessary. My cobbies haven't had theirs touched in at least 5 years! All have nice thick tails. No matting.
Only pick their feet out for the farrier.

S_N

Visit site
Feet daily - esp. practicing with H - he still has issues with trying to lie on the farrier when he is having his fronts done! Thankfully my farrier is brilliant and is calm at all times. H is MUCH improved, but practice doesn't hurt! It's interesting that my farrier says that B was the same when she first started having her feet trimmed - when she was FOUR!! A bit big to be trying to lie on him
ooo.gif

Tails only get done periodically. Mainly to prevent dreadlocks - I use Canter and a hair brush and my fingers - working in sections through the tail and from the bottom to the top of each section - esp. if getting bad!

4whitesocks

Visit site
feet daily - mane & tail about twice a week usually with baby oil, he has the most sticky up mane and no amount of plaiting over helps!!)
Both mane a tail are pretty 'full' (in fact his mane badly needs to be pulled but just haven't had the time!)