Pollen allergy?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’m on the first summer with the latest horse.
I was told when buying that he hates, really hates flies, I’m currently wondering if he actually has some form of pollen allergy. Either that or this is going to get 10x worse when the flies are actually bad ?‍♀️
He usually gos out fine and is calm and happy.
I first noticed he started messing round near rape in flower, now that’s gone but under trees seems to be the set off point.
I have noticed some kind of pollen stuff floating in visible bits, almost like dandelion fluff but smaller and in droves under trees in some areas- assuming it’s off some kind of tree.
So I’m finding myself cutting rides short or days like today, warm, bright high pollen warned on TV thinking I may just give him a quick lunge and put him back in the stable!
The obvious would be a nose net but he hates things on his face. Won’t wear a fly mask even. So I have tried but seeing his reaction took it off before riding, maybe I need to persevere with that?
So Q is, any good supplements? There are loads but any recommendations please for something that’s worked, any other ideas?
I wondered about antihistamines but unsure of dose? He’s 16hh average build.
Anything anyones found to help would be gratefully taken on board. :) ?

holeymoley

Visit site
I’ve just read quickly at breakfast, global herbs pollenx liquid is good, i use it along side fly mask and a nose net when riding. It may be that your guy requires anti histamines though.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Ah that’s one I’ve been looking at. Global herbs seems quite good for that kind of thing.
Is it, I want to ask strong tasting but obviously you won’t know that!? Does your horse eat it ok? Mine can be a little bit fussy with new things.

SEL

Visit site
I have horrendous hayfever right now so I sympathize with your horse. My Thelwell pony also gets hayfever and on bad days her head shaking and wheezing is so bad i don't ride. She can't tolerate anything around her face when she's like that (again - I sympathize because I feel the same) so a nose net is out of the question and I have to plait her up to stop her long mane annoying her.

On bad days I will give her a decent dose of piriton at night (vet aware) & if I'm not riding then she can have the same in the morning. If I am riding then 1/2 dose to avoid going dopey on me. I've tried a variety of herbs to no effect but Trinity had good feedback from a friend who started with it back in March - you need to get in before the pollen season. I try and ride her first thing which suits her better.

Grass and buttercups are her nemesis - but she would hate to be separated from her mates so I work with it

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have horrendous hayfever right now so I sympathize with your horse. My Thelwell pony also gets hayfever and on bad days her head shaking and wheezing is so bad i don't ride. She can't tolerate anything around her face when she's like that (again - I sympathize because I feel the same) so a nose net is out of the question and I have to plait her up to stop her long mane annoying her.

On bad days I will give her a decent dose of piriton at night (vet aware) & if I'm not riding then she can have the same in the morning. If I am riding then 1/2 dose to avoid going dopey on me. I've tried a variety of herbs to no effect but Trinity had good feedback from a friend who started with it back in March - you need to get in before the pollen season. I try and ride her first thing which suits her better.

Grass and buttercups are her nemesis - but she would hate to be separated from her mates so I work with it
Yes it’s not fun is it. Ive had hayfever on and off weirdly, been fine this year so far.
I did think that you were supposed to start this kind of thing before symptoms. I’ll know for next year.
I forget about Trinity, I used to use their stuff quite a lot so will have a look there.
The nose net thing is annoying isn’t it! I really think it would help mine and probably yours if they could tolerate one.
I think I’ll have a chat with the vet re trying antihistamines. I have loads here from trying on my itchy horse, just the variation in how many people suggest is huge.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
My retired lad was a terrible head shaker. He was only comfortable being ridden first thing in the morning. Funnily enough he was fine at a comp but I suppose his mind was taken off it. Its very distressing to watch. No supplements really helped, only thing that helps now is a full face mask which he wears all the time.

holeymoley

Visit site
Ah that’s one I’ve been looking at. Global herbs seems quite good for that kind of thing.
Is it, I want to ask strong tasting but obviously you won’t know that!? Does your horse eat it ok? Mine can be a little bit fussy with new things.

I can't remember, I've not used it this year yet. My guy eats it fine although he's not overly fussy with things. He won't touch danilon or anti biotics though, he'll eat P45 and devils relief which I find quite strong.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I've used Global Herbs Pollenex and whilst it didn't make any noticeable difference cob ate it no problem. I know he's a cob but he can be fussy with things in his feed, he won't eat salt at all or a few other supplements I've tried.

mavandkaz

Visit site
Very similar to my boy. When I bought I was told he was reactive to flies, after he moved to me it very quickly escalated and became apparent it was a pollen allergy. He is worst spring and autumn, and it appears to be more tree pollen that sets him off.
When I first tried him in a fly veil and nose net he was awful. Became unrideable and I had to take it off mid hack.
He did get used to it fairly quickly, and no longer cares - he quite likes playing with the nose net as he goes.
He still does not like wearing a fly mask with nose attachment but tolerates it, although I don't tend to use one nowadays.
I originally used pollenex, but when I couldn't get the liquid version he refused to eat the powder. I also used antihistamines for a while.
He is now on a headshaking supplement from hack up, and it works for him.