polo pony to happy haccker / leisure horse

merlin12

Visit site
Has any one got an ex polo pony who has changed careers ? Do they hack alone ? What are your experiences.

I am considering this option, but have been told that they often don't like to hack alone. I am looking for a happy hacker type would an ex polo pony be suitable?

Milanesa

Visit site
Hi I have alot of experience with this and as long as your polo pony is fairly chilled I have never had any problems converting them to happy hackers! I gifted one to a lady a few years ago now after doing some basic groundwork with it and she hacks her out / treats her like a regular hacker no probs. Have converted a few to be ridden/ jump etc and they have all been fine. I would say go for it !!

BlueCakes

Visit site
I don;t see why they wouldn't be able to change careers?
I have an ex polo who hacks on his own, jumps, dressage and is a general all rounder. We also have an ex racehorse (who raced and won on flat and jumps) who is now does the same. I think its more down to the horse, rather than their previous career.

Hen

Visit site
I had one who was an amazing solo hack - truth is, she got quite stressed and competitive around other horses so was definitely not a pleasure ride candidate, but was totally trustworthy on her own - forward going for sure but ace to ride out.

H.K.D

Visit site
Not sure if this will help.

But.

I have 2 polo ponies and used to have 3 others. ALL of them hack alone, go hunting, go to pony club events, showjump and then play polo 4 times a week. If it becomes routine and you give them lots of tlc they will go the extra mile for you and be the best family fun pony.

I find the best ones are the smaller stockier ones, often crossed with criollo.

I also had an ex high goal mare who is now rehomed as a showjumper and dressage horse. Unfortunately she had done too much too young and went crazy at polo, but was a diff horse at home out hacking so I sold her. Try to get one thats older or that isn't retiring due to being 'too much to handle' as these are the ones that seem 'cooked'.

Anyway, bar a few exceptions polo ponies make excellent all rounders!! If you advertise on polotimes you might get one for free, they're always around.

Feel free to pm me.

Milanesa

Visit site
Here here h.k.d let's here it for the polo ponies!! They are usually so versatile sound advice op from hkd try and get one that isn't cooked/ x high goal as these may be more difficult ..... They really are great horses though and seem to thrive in a one to one home. Good luck!

flyingfeet

Visit site
I've got two, although not ex as still play polocrosse

One won't hack alone, if it involves leaving our farm! However she's a baby and we will get there. The other one probably would as he is very laid back

To be honest most of the time I am riding one and leading 2, so I tend to stick on the farm as trying to get everyone fit

I play polocrosse, where you only need one horse and also compete in tentpegging

Both sports are ideal for polo ponies!

marmalade76

Visit site
I once had an ex polo pony (he also raced on the flat before being bought by a polo yard) and he was the most bombproof horse I've ever had! He would hack alone through anything, totally non spooky and really easy to do in every way. He schooled up lovely on the flat, but his jumping was a bit iffy (the reason I sold him). Although completely bombproof, he was still quick and loved a good blast!

Brandy

Visit site
I have an ex high goal polo pony and he is my horse of a lifetime. He is 31 now and I've had him since he was 18. He loves hacking out, but like someone else said, canbe stressy and competitive in company, and has to canter in front if you ever want to stop!!

He is excellent at hacking alone, bombproof, not spooky at all, never bucks or rears etc.

I did do some pleasure rides with him, as he knew who he was with and wasn't bothered by other horses going off in front (well he would bounce around rather a lot but was managable!)

He has ALWAYS (even now!!) been a very lively ride, and a handful but safe. Most of my friends think hes a complete loony but it looks worse than it is (ie canters at everyone esles walking pace, sideways, snorting.....)

All in all I woudl love another when the times comes, so would love it if anyone can make any recommendations of where to get one from?

Milanesa

Visit site
If and when time comes brandy I would put an ad in polo times or online and you will no doubt be offered some. What area are you in uk?

merlin12

Visit site
Thank you for all the replies. Another question ,how did you change from neck reining to using both reins in a more english style , was it straight forward to train the horses. Lots of people have told me polo ponies don't like to hack on their own. Which is clearly wrong. Do you think an advert in polo times might be a good idea? Although I have heard of one locally ,so will go and see it.

Brandy

Visit site
Thanks Milanesa, I will do that. I currently have him, a small pony and a welsh cob which is my main riding horse. Even though I've had him for getting on for 4 years now we have never really clicked that much - he needs an awful lot of work which I no lopnger have time or facilities for. So, am considering whether to keep him or get something more suitable and enjoyable.

Merlin12, I found it quite an easy transition from neck rein to normal, in that I found that I don;t actually use much in the way of rein at all for turning - more subtle aids. My boy still neck reins like the pro he was, but for normal riding turns just with you looking where you are going.

Snoopy1

Visit site
My boy is ex polo (full Argentinian TB) and although he is quite a nervous type who can be a bit spooky and a bit sharp, he is also the most genuine horse I have ever owned, a true all rounder who does everything. I spent the first year I had him doing loads of groundwork and de-spooking with him as he was pretty scared of life in general but that may have been due to the way he had been treated previously rather than the fact he is a "polo pony". I'd say go for it, he is my horse of a lifetime.

mushroom

Visit site
There is a tb ex polo pony on my yard who is kept as a happy hack by one of the most nervous riders I have ever known.

Very much a success story. :)

Milanesa

Visit site
MerlIn if u have one locally def go and see it. They find the transition fairly easy just start slowly with 2 reins and they pick it up quickly! Good luck they really are fab pones I hope u find a suitable one xx

Jazzy B

Visit site
Mine was an ex-high goal international test match polocrosse argentian TB, played polo before that. She was the most bomb proof pony out hacking ever and loved hacking out on her own. We did pleasure rides, dressage, show jumping and a bit of dressage she was totally amazing. When I first got her riding her in company was a bit stressful as she got so wound up and it took a year to get her hacking out in company nicely although if anyone cantered in front of her she still had a bit of a strop. I can honestly say she was brilliant and when I lost her last year I was deverstated! p.s. wouldn't be in a rush to unteach neck reining she was fab at opening gates my newbe is a complete prat!!!