Ponies for sale >>>>> over there

rascal

Visit site
Has anyone read the advert for the £120 Dartmoor hill ponies?
Three colts it says make ideal FIRST PONIES! What planet are these people on? Young colts do not make ideal first ponies.
Just because a pony is hardy and can live out DOES NOT make it a suitable first pony.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
It seems as though the lady is running a sort of stud or a programme, but at £120 where is her profit? And if there is none, what is the point in churning out foal after foal when there are hundreds of thousands who are already unwanted

Leo Walker

Visit site
I read it as they would go on to make ideal first ponies in the future? Its not a stud, it looks like someone whos taking on DHPs and trying to find them homes.

rascal

Visit site
I read it as they would go on to make ideal first ponies in the future? Its not a stud, it looks like someone whos taking on DHPs and trying to find them homes.

They have a very long way to go before they are first ponies, and maybe shouldn't be advertised as such. They, like all youngsters need an experienced home.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Exactly. And they *do* make excellent first ponies in my experience.

Small ponies often inevitably have to be first ponies - from what I can see this organisation is promoting hill ponies, handling them when they come off the moor and then finding homes for them. Which is better than them fetching twenty quid each at a sale ...

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Yup they are just trying to given them a bit of a start. All the DHPs I have known coming from not far away have made excellent first ponies at very young ages, some really do just take it all in their stride.

But the owner of these ponies will not be selling to anyone who they don't think is experienced enough to get them started, it isn't what they are trying to achieve, they are trying to show these ponies can go out and do stuff if in the right set up so I don't think you need to worry that they are going to be bought for Christmas and have a kid on top in the new year.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Small ponies often inevitably have to be first ponies - from what I can see this organisation is promoting hill ponies, handling them when they come off the moor and then finding homes for them. Which is better than them fetching twenty quid each at a sale ...

Agree. If it wasn't so far I'd happily fill the trailer.

rascal

Visit site
Yup they are just trying to given them a bit of a start. All the DHPs I have known coming from not far away have made excellent first ponies at very young ages, some really do just take it all in their stride.

But the owner of these ponies will not be selling to anyone who they don't think is experienced enough to get them started, it isn't what they are trying to achieve, they are trying to show these ponies can go out and do stuff if in the right set up so I don't think you need to worry that they are going to be bought for Christmas and have a kid on top in the new year.

I was worried that s EXACTLY what would happen.
You have to admit there have been some very strange things going on in the horse world recently. The girl on the grey pony, for one.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Why oh why are they not being gelded before selling?
Infuriates me immensely :mad3:

Vendor is happy to worm, passport (as has to be done by law) etc, but is selling scrub stock without taking responsibility for their futures.

SpringArising

Visit site
Why oh why are they not being gelded before selling?
Infuriates me immensely :mad3:

Vendor is happy to worm, passport (as has to be done by law) etc, but is selling scrub stock without taking responsibility for their futures.

You could say that about every colt or stallion out there. You have no idea of the circumstances so it's not really fair to judge.

Clodagh

Visit site
I do think they should be gelded first. I doubt it would cost much if you could get a deal with a vet school or similar.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
You could say that about every colt or stallion out there. You have no idea of the circumstances so it's not really fair to judge.

Exactly, however as this vendor is advertising hill ponies and otherwise does a good job in handling etc, its pretty irresponsible to advertise as children's ponies, without gelding them 1st.
Just my HO tho :)

Spiritedly

Visit site
The ponies are only 8 months so I would hope that most people would realise that they aren't ready to be ridden by anyone let alone children for a few more years yet! They do however make excellent first ponies with the correct handling.
In regards to them being colts I would imagine that is due to the fact they are unhandled which complicates the gelding as they would need to be darted or penned to have sedation administered which would push the price up considerably.
I have a dhp and he came to me as an 18 month colt and it took four weeks of intensive one on one handling for him to reach a point where it was safe enough for all involved for him to be gelded.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm not sure why they are not gelded. I wonder if it is because they get through a few/try and get them haltered, handled and leading fairly quickly (a week or so only for some) so they can be moved on for the next few (I think from what I can tell they have had 40 pass through this year) and it is better for them to a bit more handled before doing it/it might set them back a bit given that they have just come off the moor.
I'd certainly be surprised if they haven't thought about it and come to the conclusion not to on the basis that at least they aren't going back up the moor.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Its not the ideal time to geld so maybe thats something to do with it. I know my vets wouldnt have been keen to do it at all, especially if the handling has been limited so far. And if you are being careful about who you rehome to then it shouldnt be too much of an issue. If you want an entire "scrub" colt for any reason then you can get two for a fiver at a lot of bottom end sales so wouldnt waste your time spending £120 on one along with questions about the home etc