Ponies for very small children - any advice appreciated!

Fiona

Visit site
I have been offered a small middle aged shetland for my son (nearly 2), and would love to chat to anyone with similar aged children/small ponies as I feel I only know about horses....

Pony is coming pretty soon, as soon as the new small stable door is completed, and I have slapped a coat of paint on the stable. We have 2 horses at home already a 16.2 and a 15.2 (both mares) and the new pony is a gelding...

Bit of background...
Pony is coming with rugs and bridle (I intend to buy one of the cub saddles does that sound OK?)
Any advice on stirrup irons?? I can't seem to find anywhere selling really small ones... Not fussy on whether they are plain or safety...
Son loves to sit up in front of me on my 15.2, but doesn't like to be up there on his own (understandably must seem a bit high up), but hopefully he will enjoy his new smaller model....
Any recommendations for a very tiny riding hat?? I am thinking one of the adjustable endurance type hats rather than a fitted traditional one, as they seem much lighter....
Finally (though obviously I will ask lots of advice from his present owner) any top tips on small pony management....
How are they with electric fencing as we tend to strip graze our fields a lot, will we need to double up with 2 strands??

I can't think of any other questions off the top of my head, but I bet a few more come to me in bed tonight....

Grateful for any advice proffered, as this is all v new (but exciting :D ) to me...

Fiona

Rebels

Visit site
Cub saddles tend to have D rings for stirrup leathers instead of a stirrup bar so safety stirrups are a higher priority just in case. Look forwards to cute little person and pony pics :)

L&M

Visit site
My lad had a shetland at 3yrs.

I bought him an adjustable helmet with a dial at the back, similiar to the endurance type that you have described.

The pony had a cub saddle which he felt very safe on. It came with the pony so can't advise on stirrups, but have a look at Dinkys' Rugs as also do accessories for shetlands.

We grazed ours with the bigger horses and had a muzzle on him overnight, again bought from Dinkys'.

Re electric fencing, I did 2 low strands, then one at the top, just to be on the safe side.

Good luck and have fun!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Def ask owner of pony about fencing, some stay behind 2 strands, others need 3 or 4 ;) Mine respects electric, except for strip grazing :rolleyes:
TF wears a Dinky muzzle much of the time when out if with others, unless in her 'diet paddock' (tip: dont call it a starvation paddock, or the other nursery mums will think you cruel ;) tho they understand the word diet :D )

Hat - one with a fixed peak is a good bet, usually as they can save noses & teeth being bashed so much (sorry!)

The Dinky site (as said above) is a good place to start for equipt :)

Good luck & have fun :)

Fiona

Visit site
Cub saddles tend to have D rings for stirrup leathers instead of a stirrup bar so safety stirrups are a higher priority just in case. Look forwards to cute little person and pony pics :)

Thank you - that important info to know!!! Elastic sided safety stirrups or bent leg ones, and any idea of size for a real tiny person??? I can't find smaller than 4" which I'm sure is far too big...

Fiona

L&M

Visit site
That's intersting - our cub saddle did have proper stirrup bars (Thorowgood Safari).

Maybe it was an older style with the 'd's' but certainly something the OP needs to look out for.

Fiona

Visit site
Thank you Sidney and TFF (what a fantastic username :) )

Great advice....

Dinky rugs website for tiny pony kit.....
Muzzle needed over the summer (just if out 24/7 I'm assuming)..
Hat with fixed peak is better (I will look for an endurance one with a fixed peak, as I think hubby's wearing at home endurance style hat has a fixed peak)

Keep it coming ladies...

This is a whole new world for me...

Fiona

Rebels

Visit site
Elastic ones are best for children under 7.5 stone as they can exit at all angles and can't put their little legs straight through a fixed metal hoop. Also teaches them to keep their feet straightish. I can find them at 3.5 inch and you need 1/2 inch clearance each side of the foot.

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
Big important thing: A 'special' grooming kit for child only - bright brushes that are small & easy to use (bright so you can find them when they have been parked in different places :D ).
Sometimes dog brushes do a good job, also bright hair brushes too are easier to do manes for little ones.
Keep the pony to its own colour scheme - eg, pink buckets, brushes, haynets, muck out gear, rubber gloves - you name it - etc etc, then as child grows they can then be blamed for anything 'their' colour which is dumped around the yard.... ;) :D

Oh, a small sturdy but lightweight stool (like a small caravan plastic step) is very handy for small child to stand on to brush ponies back & head :)

Fiona

Visit site
Fools motto - how sweet :D No rocking horse stirrups here unfortunately....

Rebels- thank you.... I have found 3.75" peacock safety irons in the ride away catalogue, I'll measure his wee boots and see if that would be small enough.

Again from ride away - the safari cub package comes with girth and stirrup straps, and the stirrup straps have a webbing loop to fit over the stirrup bar, so it must have proper stirrup bars rather than D rings....

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
Big important thing: A 'special' grooming kit for child only - bright brushes that are small & easy to use (bright so you can find them when they have been parked in different places :D ).
Sometimes dog brushes do a good job, also bright hair brushes too are easier to do manes for little ones.
Keep the pony to its own colour scheme - eg, pink buckets, brushes, haynets, muck out gear, rubber gloves - you name it - etc etc, then as child grows they can then be blamed for anything 'their' colour which is dumped around the yard.... ;) :D

Oh, a small sturdy but lightweight stool (like a small caravan plastic step) is very handy for small child to stand on to brush ponies back & head :)

Brilliant - he loves brushing my mare (well her leg since its all he can reach) so I will buy his own set of small brushes in a nice neon colour....

Fiona

Littlelegs

Visit site
Daughter had use of an aged shettie pretty much from birth, once she got to about 2 hats were fine to find, previously I used foam padding in one to establish the habit. I also found a headcollar that can be unclipped under the chin rather than unbuckled over the head is easier for tinies to do alone. In addition to what tff says, mine had her own yard tools, which were kids toy ones. And I started encouraging her to help from the start, eg washing the bit & hosing buckets, shaking up straw etc not just grooming. Also leadropes are too long for tinies with shetties, either cut one or use a dog lead with handle removed so they don't have 3' of excess to trip over. Stirrups I got second hand, although she rarely rode in a saddle as a tiny.

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
Oh yes Littlelegs :) we also used a chopped up dog-lead for my tiny to drag pony around with :D and she had her own yard tools too :)
A couple of coat hooks outside stable at a safe height are a help so child can get used to putting things away too :)

Fiona

Visit site
He is great at helping already littlelegs (carrying empty buckets, trying to muck out with his mini fork etc) so hopefully this will be continued when the pony comes.

Great tips about the leadrope and headcollar - thank you...

Fiona

Booboos

Visit site
I always thought the best stirrups for kids were the ones with a cage to prevent the foot from sliding in, but perhaps there are other stirrup designs that do the same job?

DD (22mo) has a cycling helmet with an adjustable knob at the back and I have a similar design riding hat so I am sure they do adjustable riding hats.

ponypilotmum

Visit site
You an buy tiny endurance hats that come with stickers to put on them :)

Def peacock safety stirrups. I have some 3.25 ones for my toddler.

Next do 'mucker' style boots which are good for riding in, are easy to get on and off (velcro) and are easy to chuck in the washing machine.

The little webbing bridles are fab for small ponies and small kids. Don't bother with a bit, just attatch the reins to the cheek pieces of a headcollar so they aren't holding onto pony's mouth and you can then lead off headcollar.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Other thing is try to find a 'mini' version of anything you use regularly. My mare had ligament damage when daughter was a toddler, & as a result daughter wanted to bandage & walk shettie in hand in boots. So she used some ancient travel boots (the ones that would cover just the canon bone on a bigger pony) cos they fastened with velcro & wouldn't do any harm for a quick walk if applied by a toddler. And when she got too big for the tiny wheelbarrow, she had an old bucket with a leadrope to pull it by. Still uses a big trug at 8 as midwinter the muckheap gets too muddy for her to shove the barrow to. And halfords do child size reflectives if you need them.

WelshD

Visit site
Ruggles, Mini Pony Tack, Shetland Showing Tack and The Pony Tack Shop are all good sites

The Cub saddle seems to have changed over the years (or there was more than one design) I shopped around for mine and am really pleased with it over other versions

For fun fleeces, boots and bandages I would highly recommend Pint Size Pony Wear. Also Snuggy Hoods make pony length fun fleece bandages

flirtygerty

Visit site
Very useful thread, I am thinking of buying my 2yr old grandson a pony.
From starting to walk, he has enjoyed poo picking (bonus) and throwing straw about (putting beds down) eats the horses carrots and tells my lad to "Stand Bruce", loves grooming from the knees down and mixing the feeds.
I am taking him to meet some smaller ponies soon, hoping he will be enthralled by them, as he is with the chickens, where the chickens are, my grandson is.
Here's hoping

Venevidivici

Visit site
My littlest child has the cage type stirrups. Can't remember where we got them from/who makes them but it was somewhere 'ordinary' like Shires or Robinsons or Cottage Craft-you'd find stockists if you google (and they came in black,pink or blue,*obviously*!;)) My older (9year old) child has peacock stirrups.
We got a fab exercise sheet from Bloomin Ponies. Was expensive but it's one of the best quality horse rugs I've ever seen! It'll live longer than our pony,I reckon;) Several people on the yard wanted to know if they came in biggers,horse sizes:) Choice of fabric is brill (Camouflage,skull & crossbones,cowboys,sheep,fairies etc).
Hope you all enjoy new ponio:)

Fiona

Visit site
Not a lot of time to reply today, but loving all the advice, esp the stirrup cages (Shires) which I've found on ebay :)

Will be back this later when little man is asleep..

Fiona

Rowreach

đź‘€
Visit site
Fiona, not sure where in NI you are but I have lots of tiny pony stuff and some riding gear which you might be interested in, including small stirrups and cages, small riding hats which have hardly been used etc. I can have a rummage if you like.

Dolcé

Visit site
I bought an endurance hat with dial for out little one when he was about 9 months old, quickly changed it to a velvet one (Charles owen I think) fitted at saddlers, because it just didn't seem 'right'. Admittedly he had a funny shaped head because he had been so prem but the 'proper' hat fitted well and he still wears it (now 2 1/2), just have a good look around and try before you buy. I bought 3.5" stirrups from ebay and he has progressed from the basket saddle he had as a tiny to a cub, which I love for him and would definitely recommend.

Fiona

Visit site
Fiona, not sure where in NI you are but I have lots of tiny pony stuff and some riding gear which you might be interested in, including small stirrups and cages, small riding hats which have hardly been used etc. I can have a rummage if you like.

Definitely interested if you have a few things to sell :D I am near Newry, but if you had a few things it would be worth the postage for a parcel or small box :) Hubby is going to Cavan tomorrow for work but that doesn't give you much time to have a look... He does go that direction reasonably often though...

Let me know what you come up with :D

Thank you...

Fiona