ponies in back gardens

spooks

Visit site
ive finally been offered a house (council ) which has a huge and i mean huge back garden. does anyone know if there are rules and regs on having a pony in the back garden ? i plan on a couple of days a month letting the shettie loose on it so she can 'mow' it for me!

rrose

Visit site
many councils do not like having farmanimals (including horses, chickens etc) in the gardens. you will have to speak to them personally. im sure you could come up with an agreement.

horsemad67

Visit site
When i was a child we lived in a council house with a large garden and as my pony was at the livery yard about 5 mins away it became a home from home for her, she was 13.2hh and no one ever complained. She spent many Sundays happily grazing and pulling my mums washing off the line. She only stayed once over night as a treat and me and my brother camped outside with her. Only thing was if the back door was left open she was straight in the house as well.

Also on the council estate I now live there used to be a pot bellied pig which was very popular with the local children and that lived there for several years.

rcm_73

Visit site
I had a neighbour about ten years ago that kept a goat and chickens in his back garden and nobody ever complained. I think it'd be fine as long as nobody has a moan, it's not like you're planning on keeping the pony in the garden full time.

spooks

Visit site
i would only bring her up for the day , be to risky to have her there over night and i guess she would be a bit of a novelty for the neighbourhood kids! will do it and if anyone complains ill just cross that bridge when i come to it!

Onyxia

Visit site
Congratulations ont he new house!
IME as long as the neighbours dont complain anything goes, too much hassle to enforce the rules so unless someone makes a fuss they wont bother you.

belly

Visit site
If anybody were to complain you could always use the green clause to get out of it....after all no petrol or electric needed for the pony and lots of organic compost in return..lol.
In fact what a great business to start....The Shetland Lawnmower Company....

filly190

Visit site
I have a private house with paddocks, but big garden and have kept horses loose in it with no problems. I dont think I would approach anyone, just do it and if a neighbour complains (unlikely) then deal with it.

For insurance purposes, Direct Line consider horses to be house hold pets. One of my horses kicked a vistor and they sued me, and Direct Line (contents insurance) took on the claim and paid out. They did not tell me I could not have my horses in my garden and everything since has been fine.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
No, you shouldnt get into trouble for it, providing your neighbours are okay with it. We used to live on a council estate and peope had allsorts.
If you're new to the area then just mention to your neighbours that he'll be there and okay it with them.

Ours has been on our lawn. Just be aware, they do trash lawns lol, so only do it when the ground's dry. It'll never make a safe play area for kids with big ruts in it, and you'll have a hell of a job getting it to look nice ever again!

vieshot

Visit site
I wouldnt worry about it, your only going to be doing it now and again, ive riden my pony home to my council house and tied him up outside tonnes of times.
xxx