Ponteland and surrounding area.....

lynspop

www.trainingtails.moonfruit.com
A few questions if anyone can help?
My other half has recently taken a job down outside Newcastle and we are currently split between the 2 locations. I'm still in our house in the Scottish Borders and he is flat sharing down there during the week. If all goes well with his job, we may relocate down there, but although its only an hour or so down the road, its not an area I know well at all. So I have a few questions which I'm hoping someone on here can maybe help with.....
1. I would be looking for a part time job (or to work freelance) with horses down there, what is the area like around Ponteland (and other towns close by) in terms of horse activity? Is there much chance of employment? Would be looking for freelance instructing work or yard work possibly.
2. What are the chances of finding pet friendly rental properties around this area?
3. Aswell as my work with horses, I also have my own business offering dog training classes and some 1-2-1 work, what would be the chances of establishing this down there? I have no idea how many others offer similar things around Ponteland.
4.Somewhere like Ponteland would be my first choice as it's not in the city, but would consider other areas around it- can anyone suggest any other nice towns in that area? Or out towards Whitley Bay area? (wouldn't be looking to go much further north of Ponteland as it would make b/f's daily commute too long- he is down towards Sunderland for work)

Hope this all makes sense, thanks in advance!

orionstar

Visit site
Ponteland itself if quite an affluent area of Newcastle so I dont think you'll have a problem with your dog business. Cant comment on the yards as I dont know Ponteland itself well enough. Good luck with the move!

lynspop

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it would necessarily be Ponteland in particular we would be staying in, but definitely somewhere outwith the city.
Been looking tonight and towards the coast- Tynemouth, Jarrow, Whitburn etc would also be options. I just can't imagine living in the middle of a city, I'm country born and bred (other half less so) but his work is between Newcastle and Sunderland, so out towards the East is poss more of an option than Ponteland as its in the rough area of his work.
Not sure if this sort of area is one which you have knowledge of?

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Don't know Ponteland very well but if BF works in Sunderland I wouldn't suggest Tynemouth/Whitley Bay as they aren't very horsey in terms of being able to get a job and the commute would be a pain. Much better to live on the same side of the river as you work if you have a choice.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I'm from Tynemouth so not the greatest on that area but would of thought Cleadon, Penshaw, outskirts of Chester le street would of been good places to look. Fairly horsey, not large towns and close to Washington.

pinklilly

Visit site
Beamish area is nice, houses are cheap to rent and there's loads of yards. Thinking about moving back over that way myself as a similar property looks to be a hundred pounds a month cheaper, livery prices are more competitive, countryside and hacking is good too.

leflynn

Visit site
Beamish, parts of chester le street, might also want to consider outskirts of Durham as it's close to the A1 and easy to get to Washington. Could also go for the other side of the hill as it were and Rowlands Gill way. I'm there and I have a customr in Washington and it's easier to get to than North Shields where I work :)

Nudibranch

Visit site
Have you considered going west of Ponteland? It's stunning, horsey, countryside and there's a whole strip of lovely villages off the A69 all the way to Hexham. Even Hexham itself is only 20-25 minutes from Newcastle and it's so rural.

Callerton, Heddon, Ovingham, Corbridge.... loads of little places too. Some great hacking!

Joanne4584

Visit site
Have you considered going west of Ponteland? It's stunning, horsey, countryside and there's a whole strip of lovely villages off the A69 all the way to Hexham. Even Hexham itself is only 20-25 minutes from Newcastle and it's so rural.

Callerton, Heddon, Ovingham, Corbridge.... loads of little places too. Some great hacking!

Ditto! I'm originally from Heddon and I love it there. I still call it "home". Lots of lovely hacks. xx

katastrophykat

Visit site
I'm in south Sunderland, right on the edge of town. The horses are 2 mins away on a mixed stock farm in a lovely little village (Burdon) and we hack for miles off road- it's all country between us and Durham with a couple of small towns in between. It's well worth checking out south Sunderland too- if you want a guided tour (by car or horseback) give me a yell x

lynspop

Thanks everyone!
The feed back we seem to be getting from people who live/work around the Newcastle/Sunderland area is that it may be better to look for somewhere closer to Sunderland rather than the other side of Newcastle as apparently the A1 etc are a nightmare in the morning for commuting?
OH currently rents a flat 10 minutes away from his job in Washington (not sure of the exact location as I haven't been to visit yet)