Pony already casting - too late to clip?

coss

Visit site
I usually do my last clip late december/early january but as pony lives out (well rugged) I have to clip outside meaning I have to wait for a dry spell. Hasn't been much of that. Then when it was icy everywhere but weather would have suited I had flu so wasn't fit to clip. Now I'm feeling better the weather is set to turn again but pony is already casting. Can pull the hairs out relatively easily but not much coming out with a brush yet.... his winter/summer colour is very different so don't want to clip if it's going to take the tips off and then have a two tone dun all year!

Too late? Presuming there must be some summer coat coming through under the inch of grown in coat if he's casting.

ETA: it'd be a chaser/irish clip so there would be a distinct line if i tip the summer coat, not just leg lines

Last edited:

coss

Visit site
I have clipped later than this and it's never ruined a summer coat and I show mine.

It's not the time of year - it's the fact he's already casting! My other two horses aren't showing any signs of getting rid of winter coat. He's particularly early at casting this year. I'd clip/reclip the other two if needed but this one is casting

coss

Visit site
Also, a thought, if the summer coat is *just* coming through, if I bought new blades for my clippers that leave a fair bit of length would that be a work around? 6mm? 9mm?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I usually do my last clip late december/early january but as pony lives out (well rugged) I have to clip outside meaning I have to wait for a dry spell. Hasn't been much of that. Then when it was icy everywhere but weather would have suited I had flu so wasn't fit to clip. Now I'm feeling better the weather is set to turn again but pony is already casting. Can pull the hairs out relatively easily but not much coming out with a brush yet.... his winter/summer colour is very different so don't want to clip if it's going to take the tips off and then have a two tone dun all year!

Too late? Presuming there must be some summer coat coming through under the inch of grown in coat if he's casting.

ETA: it'd be a chaser/irish clip so there would be a distinct line if i tip the summer coat, not just leg lines

If it were me no............ mine won't get clipped again till October this year, I I don't clip after the end January.

coss

Visit site
If it were me no............ mine won't get clipped again till October this year, I I don't clip after the end January.

That's my instinct too - is it possible to clip with different blades though, the coat can't be through much so 6mm?10mm blades wouldn't affect the summer coat in theory but erring to not risking it. Just thinking outside the box!

AFB

Visit site
Out of interest can you get blades that leave that much on? I thought coarse blades only left about 4/5mm?

Merrymoles

Visit site
I don't really care when I clip but then don't show mine. However, I am glad someone else's horse is casting as mine has already started too - I have told him we have both snow and wind weather warnings but he obviously thinks it's time!

LeannePip

Visit site
I clip all year round if need be, and inbetween they always get a nice 'summer coat' sleek and glossy - i've never ever ever seen a 'ruined' summer coat from clipping too late, its an old wives tale!

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I would clip, we used to clip my hairy native out completely for the summer in about March (or the first sign of warm weather) or he'd be dripping and covered in white froth. He always had a beautiful shiny coat all through the summer!

pansymouse

Visit site
My friend clips her cob in March - he hasn't got the hang of shedding his coat when he gets hot and just sweats like navvy when it starts getting warmer. He always has a magnificent summer coat - proper show turnout standard.

Annagain

Visit site
We have two retired, rugless grey boys in our field. I've started noticing big patches of white hair on top of flattened bits of grass/mud. I was quite happy to see it. Spring is on they way!

coss

Visit site
I clip all year round if need be, and inbetween they always get a nice 'summer coat' sleek and glossy - i've never ever ever seen a 'ruined' summer coat from clipping too late, its an old wives tale!

I have seen a coat where it was obviously clipped too late. 2 colours came through on a dun. The coat wasn't ruined in the sense it was sleek and glossy but it had a definitely colour difference! Not an old wives tail! I think colour of horse makes a difference to how obvious the coat colour difference is.

coss

Visit site
Out of interest can you get blades that leave that much on? I thought coarse blades only left about 4/5mm?

In short yes, done some hunting and can get 6mm, Can get a 10mm ones too! Won't look as neat I'm sure but wonder if it would be a good inbetween solution!