Pony being a twit

RHM

Visit site
I can’t only apologise in advance, this may be a long one!
Needing some suggestions/expert opinions/general talking too! My fell pony has been out of “proper” work now for around 2 years due to PSD. Previous to this he was happy, rock crunching and absolutely bomb proof! Fast forward to now - absolute menace to ride! Today’s hack for example he was spooking at absolutely everything, some things I think he was guenuinly scared of eg dogs growling etc but things that he would have normally passed no worries is now causing a melt down! We are talking anything from just dropping out beneath me and a bit of sideways trotting to fulling spinning and trying to tank off! I am pretty brave about most things but having to get off a couple of times on a hack to get him past things and praying I won’t end up in a canal isn’t proving too enjoyable!
Not only is he a spooky mess, his white line appears stretched and for the first time in his life he is getting abnormal fat pads.
Feed wise he is on TB musli and grass nuts (literally a handful of each) with his turmeric and linseed mix - should add that this is what he was on when previously fine minus 365 balancer so maybe a simple thing to do would be to add this?
So what has changed:
He has moved to a different part of the country a year ago so possibly grazing deficiency?
He is potentially no longer in pain and this is his true colours AKA deep down he is a utter b***ard!
His turnout routine has changed to out every other day for 8 hours where previously he was out every day and 24/7 for a large portion of summer.
Simply a case of spring grass blowing his mind? He is very sensitive to feed any commercial mix brings out the inner kn**head to the extreme!
Any suggestions greatfully received! And a large gin for anyone who made it this far I am certainly having one to nurse my bruised ego tonight 😂

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Cut out any feed, get him out 24/7 even if he's in a large pen for part of it or a section of a paddock behind tape etc. In mean time, till you can sort him being out more, ride him once he's been out for a few hours to stretch his legs.
Yes, the grass is now rocket fuel, but you can manage this a bit by restricting area, unless he's out on old rested field rather than fresh green stuff.
Can you give him 10 mins firm trotting in an arena before you go out? Then crack on once out?
Have you got a steady friend to come out with you the next few times?

Reactions: RHM

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
You’re feeding a fat (you say he has fat pads) Fells pony muesli and grass nuts? The muesli is 9% sugar so I’d drop that.. Sounds like he needs a handful of chaff with his supplements. That’s what mine have in summer, with some salt occasionally and balancer.

I bet he’s feeling good, to much energy. He could also be lacking vitamin E.. I am told this makes them spooky? 24/7 turnout or as much as possible and reduce grazing.

There will be a reason he’s acting that way. It can be related to pain mind, are you sure he’s pain free? If not probably excess energy, sugar in the grass and the food. My gelding has PSD surgery in February and has come back into work like a dream and he’s a spooky welsh.

RHM

Visit site
Thanks so much for the reply’s! The yard I am on doesn’t offer 24/7 turnout but I can have him out every day so can easily do that! At the moment he is getting ridden 5 days a week all hacking out some trotting and cantering but mainly long slow hacks. Without the feed he can be very lack lustre but you are right at the moment he just doesn’t need it!
I was wondering about vit e actually so I can get some to try, heard mag ox might be good too?
I should add as well that about 80% of the time he is hacked out in rock steady company. Can’t trot him around the arena to begin with due to his PSD I don’t feel the arena surface would do him any favours unfortunately.

Interesting FH you say he might be in pain, this is a conversation I am constantly having with my vets. He didn’t have the surgery rather PRP, shockwave and rest approach. We never found the cause of the PSD, the vet believing that it was a field accident essaserbated by his straight hocks. He has been for full work ups, x rayed and ultrasounded all over. Despite this he does need careful management, if I don’t ice his hocks after hard work for example they swell, something the vet has no explanation for! Physio is coming in a couple of weeks for his usual check up so will ask her if she suspects something more sinister (she is a different one to usual and has come highly recommended from vets).

Teresalee

Visit site
turn him out whenever possible and cut him off all feed. maybe just walk him instead of riding him. walk him on your usual route and keep doing this till he settles then eventually ride him.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
My Fell is an arseling if he doesn't get turn out every day, preferably 24/7. Grass is like rocket fuel right now and agree with mag ox, salt and poss Vit E-all on the proviso of course that he's not sore.

also, he's been out of work for a couple of years and (going form your post) in a new place? so it might be worth building it up in baby steps rather than expecting him to be able to hack alone off the bat. A good hacking buddy or even someone on foot/bike might help just to start off with.

RHM

Visit site
Thanks guys for the suggestions! He will be getting turfed out as much as possible with some vitamins ordered!

Re the baby steps - been walked out and long reined for 4 months before being ridden. Has been pretty good until the last month. It’s such a weird one as he is so good with actually scary things like traffic! Think I am going to stick with going out with others until he settles. I could have pushed him too soon though, because he has been so good in the past!

be positive

Visit site
Yard rules, every other day turnout until summer turnout begins unfortunately.

With the weather we have had this spring there is no excuse for a yard to still be restricting turnout, mine have been out 24/7 for ages and were out most of the winter, liveries included, because it was so dry.
I don't think you can underestimate how this type of routine can effect a horse, they do not understand that one day is in, the next out all day so will become unsettled, it is also not good for their digestion to have 8 hours out then 40 in, if I ever restrict it will be to half days every day and this will only be in the worst winter weather, I would expect him to improve once he gets out every day but he may go back when restrictions start again so it may be an idea to look for somewhere with decent turnout before next winter.

RHM

Visit site
With the weather we have had this spring there is no excuse for a yard to still be restricting turnout, mine have been out 24/7 for ages and were out most of the winter, liveries included, because it was so dry.
I don't think you can underestimate how this type of routine can effect a horse, they do not understand that one day is in, the next out all day so will become unsettled, it is also not good for their digestion to have 8 hours out then 40 in, if I ever restrict it will be to half days every day and this will only be in the worst winter weather, I would expect him to improve once he gets out every day but he may go back when restrictions start again so it may be an idea to look for somewhere with decent turnout before next winter.

It is the only time that I have had him where he has ever been on restricted grazing so you may be right that this could be the cause of the change in behaviour. All the horses are really happy and settled here but I guess what will suit one won’t suit another and this may be his way of showing me. I can explore other yards as options before winter but literally every yard i looked at was individual grazing, which I tried with him for about 5 months and he was literally depressed. It’s a good excuse maybe for pony shopping! Thanks for the advice!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Thanks guys for the suggestions! He will be getting turfed out as much as possible with some vitamins ordered!

Re the baby steps - been walked out and long reined for 4 months before being ridden. Has been pretty good until the last month. It’s such a weird one as he is so good with actually scary things like traffic! Think I am going to stick with going out with others until he settles. I could have pushed him too soon though, because he has been so good in the past!

I would think maybe the turnout issue then-honestly, both my Exmoors and the Fell dont like being in longer than necessary. Mine are currently in overnight and the Exmoor comes out like a racehorse every morning lol.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
A yard with such restricted turn out would be off limits for me. Some horses do not cope with being in that much. Many seem to adapt to it but some really don't. If you find a huge improvement once he's out, you might need to consider moving before winter otherwise the issues may come back when he is restricted again.

RHM

Visit site
Thanks so much for all the helpful suggestions. Spoke to the YO and we are going to see what we can do re letting him have longer out. Fingers crossed this will do the job!

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Thanks so much for the reply’s! The yard I am on doesn’t offer 24/7 turnout but I can have him out every day so can easily do that! At the moment he is getting ridden 5 days a week all hacking out some trotting and cantering but mainly long slow hacks. Without the feed he can be very lack lustre but you are right at the moment he just doesn’t need it!
I was wondering about vit e actually so I can get some to try, heard mag ox might be good too?
I should add as well that about 80% of the time he is hacked out in rock steady company. Can’t trot him around the arena to begin with due to his PSD I don’t feel the arena surface would do him any favours unfortunately.

Interesting FH you say he might be in pain, this is a conversation I am constantly having with my vets. He didn’t have the surgery rather PRP, shockwave and rest approach. We never found the cause of the PSD, the vet believing that it was a field accident essaserbated by his straight hocks. He has been for full work ups, x rayed and ultrasounded all over. Despite this he does need careful management, if I don’t ice his hocks after hard work for example they swell, something the vet has no explanation for! Physio is coming in a couple of weeks for his usual check up so will ask her if she suspects something more sinister (she is a different one to usual and has come highly recommended from vets).

Best of luck OP, really hope its nothing major. Did he have full x-rays and ultrasound after he 'recovered? I'd be concerned about his hocks filling.. never had that before?! Sounds like something underlying or inflamed after work?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Reading this really makes me think that yards should never be restricted turnout... it’s so cruel. Zoo animals are kept in better conditions (not that it should be any other way!) but domestic animals get such an awful deal in my eyes... dogs in crates, horses in bigger crates... it just shouldn’t happen in this day and age. Choose a yard that gives the natural wellbeing of the horse number one priority. If a yard can’t manage 24/7 then imo it shouldn’t be a yard. I don’t care how it’s always been done, horses don’t work like they used nor are they “work” animals anymore. No amount of salt and vitamins will ever make up for not being allowed to live like a horse.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Thanks so much for all the helpful suggestions. Spoke to the YO and we are going to see what we can do re letting him have longer out. Fingers crossed this will do the job!

I can see no reason why your YO would not allow daily turnout at this time of year.

RHM

Visit site
Best of luck OP, really hope its nothing major. Did he have full x-rays and ultrasound after he 'recovered? I'd be concerned about his hocks filling.. never had that before?! Sounds like something underlying or inflamed after work?

Yes they were done after. The vet is equally confused! Talking about steroid injections in the future if it doesn’t naturally improve but obviously want to avoid them at this time of year. Who would have horses ey!