Pony bucks when jumping

rcm_73

Visit site
Bought 13.2 pony in June and didn't put a foot wrong when daughter tried him. However once we got him home he started to throw in big bucks after jumps and wouldn't stop until my daughter was on the ground. Checked saddle and found it to be a bit tight so got one fitted to him, teeth have been rasped, back checked is ok. Didn't jump him for two months on advice of an instructor as he was a bit wound up over jumps, previous owner was a bigger more experienced teen, my daughter is fairly novice and small. Started jumping again but the bucking continues, seems like he will jump a few times and then starts the bucking, getting to the point now where daughter won't jump him. Any suggestions of what to do? I'm thinking giving him a smack when he does it and riding him forwards might work as I do think he's doing it to evade work, either that or he is very sensitive to any imbalance in the rider. Problem is daughter is not confident enough now to try this. Have got a daisy rein but haven't tried it as he only seems to do it when jumping.

teddyt

Visit site
Could it be your daughters riding? Is she unbalanced or catching him in mouth or something? He could be complaining about something she is doing.

RubysGold

Visit site
Have you tried lunging/looseschooling over some jumps?
This may help, you can find out if it is imbalance in the rider as you say, and if he does it when lunging, you can ask him to go forward with the whip without scaring your daughter
Also, could you get a more confident rider to ride him a bit, and see if they can push him through if he bucks?

Hels_Bells

Visit site
My horse had a very similar problem because of a bad back caused by years in a poorly fitting saddle. He would often go bucking bronco in canter and esp when jumping. We got his saddle re-fitted and he went brilliantly for a few months and then it flared up again. This was because he had muscled up and changed shape a bit and his saddle didn't fit quite as well as it had. He is uber sensitive because he had had such a terribly bad back before.

The second time I got his saddle checked he was actually between gullet sizes, but because he is so sensitive on his back this made a big difference to him. The saddler suggested using a pro-lite to relieve things between gullet sizes which has worked brilliantly.

I think the lungeing idea is a good plan and I know you've had the pony's back checked but it sounds a very similar case to mine, so maybe it's worth checking again or getting a second opinion esp if he's gained or lost condition etc since the time. It's amazing how quickly things can change. It might be worth trying out a pro lite or similar on the pony to see if it helps.

Also, how are his feet and legs? Has he had a history of laminitus or anything? Could it maybe be pain from impact on landing that sets him off?? If he's straining something it could take a few jumps before it "goes"?

I know ponies can be naughty and awkward but I think it really sounds like pain somewhere is causing this, the problem is trying to pinpoint what it is.

SO1

Visit site
Have you changed anything about the way he is managed compared to his last home - if he is being fed differently, ridden or turned out less he could end up having more energy.

My pony gets very excited about jumping sometimes just cantering over a pole can set him off but it is not malicious just over excitement as he loves jumping - if there are jumps in the school he will try and nap towards them.

My pony is worse if I try and hold him back - if your daughter is nervous is she holding him back and then he is getting frustrated and wanting to run onwards. Has she had an instructor look at him jumping as they might be able to help - my instructor says she can tell my pony is getting over excited and it not pain by the expression on his face.

Bucking whilst jumping is scary I get nervous too and I am an adult. My instructor has suggested I try doing as many small jumps just in trot to build up confidence and perhaps this will make jumping less of a big thing for my pony.

Is there an older child or small adult who is willing to get on and have a go.

Rachaelpink

Visit site
My pony/ small horse also bucks generally only when jumping as she finds it exciting! Jumping more frequently may lessen it slightly.