pony changing colour

Groom Mum

Visit site
my pony is almost 3 yrs old. He was always a strawberry roan. Over the winter i have noticed he's changing colour. He's going light grey !!!

Can that happen? i think when i give him a good spring wash and groom he will actually be white !!

Has that happened to anyone else's pony?

jrp204

Visit site
The blue roan in my sig would go white when changing coats, always went back to her proper colour once the old coat had gone.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
What colour was he when he was born? Are either of his parents grey?

Roan and grey are often confused. Greys tend to start to grey out around the eyes and Roans have non-roaned heads and points, so look at his head for a clue as to whether he's grey or Roan. Sabino and Rabicano can also cause white flecks on horses without the Roan gene.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Hopefully helpful photos.

Strawberry Roan
strawberry-roan.jpg

Rose Grey (she fully greyed out and then grew in fleabites as the years went by)
Flossytwo.jpg

Groom Mum

Visit site
He's a real mix at the moment. I don't know about his parents as he came from a large mixed herd. His head is almost black then his neck is strawberry roan. Then as you go further down his back he's a light grey mixed with a bit of roan. His mane and tail are jet black. His legs are roan.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
If his head is black, then he's not Strawberry Roan (chestnut + Roan), but the solid head does point towards Roan of some sort (black based).

Could you post a photo of him?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
You can upload photos from your computer to an album in your forum profile. Or, if they are already on the internet, open the image in a new tab, copy the address from the address bar and then paste it in the forum reply box. Type
after it (with no gaps) and when you post the reply it should show as a photo. If you have photobucket (or similar), then post the IMG code in the forum reply box.