Pony Club Rules?

PetalPower

Visit site
Sorry if this has been discussed before but I'm still stunned! To cut a long story short, I went to a Pony Club ODE last weekend and got disqualified for wearing Mountain Horse Richmond High Rider boots and their matching ridged stirrup treads!

I fully appreciate that it is in their rules (they showed me the rule book!) and I should have read them more carefully but never dreamed in a million years that something I bought to make me safer got me barred. The reason I was given for the ban is that 'the foot must be able to slip through the stirrup'.

This seems bonkers, since the whole safety aspect of them is to minimise the risk of the foot slipping and to release backwards when you fall off. I've had a read of the rules of BD, BE and BS and can't see the same rule in any of them

Has anyone else fallen foul of this rule or was I just unlucky, would love to know!!

PS Did compete in the end but had to buy a pair of chaps from the tack stand to match my rubbish jodhpur boots!

phoebeast

Visit site
I don't understand it. Pony Club unfortunately seems to be a law unto itself 99% of the time, what the DC says goes and that tends to fall in line with fashion haha

Javabb94

Visit site
how ridiculous :eek:

I have mountain horse supreme high riders with that sole on them, if i use them with normal stirrup treads ie so the sole and mh tread dont "lock" do you reckon that will be ok

frustrated

Visit site
I know they brought the rule in this year. My daughter got told how dangerous they were when she was riding in dressage last year. :eek:
Totally nuts, the idea is that your foot won't slip out! which is totally wrong and in my mind the stirrup system is safer as the foot can't slip through the stirrup.
Would really like to know what other people think.
Would be even more curious as to what mountain horse think about the rule.

PetalPower

Visit site
Apparently you can't do that either! I offered to take out the stirrup treads but the rules state you can't use the boots or the treads separately either!

I just don't understand why they would bar something that is in the interests of safety!

Oooooh, sorry, starting to rant!!!! Still cross and it was a week ago!

frustrated

Visit site
Under the rules you can't use the stirrup treads or the boots on they own either.
I think the pony club as con bonkers with this rule:(

animal

Visit site
Just from reading some posts on here, i think pc is 20 years behind the times tbh! The mh system is relatively new, so maybe they are being (over) cautious because they don'y know much about it?
Talk about useless rules, they have surely better things to do than pull people up for their type of stirrup!

Dubsie

Visit site
The PC rules were probably written many years ago before MH developed their boot, and bear in mind that PC provide training and competition for kids on their own horses, you can see thre would be H&S requirements for the branch's insurances to be valid that H&S checks have to be made.

I would suggest you should complain to Mountain Horse and ask what they are doing about getting their boots PC approved.

Javabb94

Visit site
That's ridiculous!!

I'm 5ft 11" and have 51cm height calfs and 32cm wide these boots are the only thing that fit me!

If you go on MH website it says if you use the boots without tread it's like riding in any other boot!!!

So they have banned a System that's safer!!

I don't use the treads but I have found my feet come out my bent iron stirrups better than when I use my Ariat jodhpur boots!!

I have just bought my pair of supreme high rider in august and they were £265 I expect to use them for all my comps obviously not now!
I'm not just going to go and buy a new pair as nothing else fits and they have been worn 3 times!!

Is there anyone at PC I could write to??

Doesn't look like I will join PC next year :/

FairyLights

Visit site
I expect they ban troxel hats too. I ride in trainers with caged stirrups. I bet they ban those too. they are outdated and old fashioned fuddy-duddies.

Last edited:

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Do not even get me started on the poxy Pony Club and their poxy out of date rules and complete lack of competent organisation at central level.:mad::mad:

I'm a trainer, assessor, and PC mother and I am so hot on safety I am boring, yet the Pony Club doesn't allow many of the modern safer designs of tack and equipment that is now available for us and our children to use.

My other gripe is that if you try to communicate with PCHQ they won't listen, won't reply to your emails and letters, and refer you back to your Area Rep who has usually already ignored you and dismissed your queries :mad:

I have already withdrawn my children from one area competition because having checked the rules I discovered we contravened them on several points, and I wasn't prepared to put my children at risk by changing their tack and equipment for "approved" things.

OP imagine if you didn't wear your boots and treads so that you complied with the rules and then something awful happened to you?:confused:

avthechav

Visit site
I love the random pony club rules. A few years ago I took my (then baby) ex racehorse to do the open section in a mini PC event for one of her first outings. I was told that I could not wear spurs all day or a use a whip for dressage...(I am an adult but thats fine...its the rules)...as I stood waiting for dressage a girl went in to the arena with a continental gag with waterford mouthpiece- a queried it with the steward (who i knew quite well), and they said that they were not bothering with rules about bits as they wanted to encourage everyone!!! hahaha :D

legaldancer

Visit site
I saw someone get hung up with those boots/stirrups because they were too "grippy". He had to hop alongside his horse trying to pull it up.Eventually he had to bend his stirrup upwards & away to release himself.

However, some rules are bizarre. When I first joined over 30 years ago I got publicly told off for turning up wearing a safety harness on my hat. Now all hats have integral harnesses! Apparently elastic was better!

Also, this year at team SJ, we had to change bits because the steward objected to my son's pony's slotted Kimblewick, despite us not using the slots (which is against rules). Gags, waterfords, pelhams all fine, but not a slotted Kimblewick!

PS They do ban Troxel Hats!

Gingerwitch

Visit site
The pony club in general tends to be run by a load of people who's children have no tallant or affinity for horses and whom try and buy their way into the ribbons. If theri odious little precious cant make the team on his/her own volitaion then they tend to use mummy dearests infulence.

I honestly think that some of the folk whom run the brances should be barred from having little darlings in the same club - I have know the lives of many children tarnished by going to one of the clique pony clubs and a couple on our yard came back from camp this year and now the pony's are up for sale as they were made to feel so useless - and you know what, the little lad is brilliant - ok a bit agricultural in his riding but boy can he stick on anything - biggest problem is - mum and dad are minted and nice, little lad is tallented, pony is a proper pony - cost less than a grand and the boy is having to work his butt off to get it going. Fortunalty the market is so bad the pony has not sold, and I had a real good chat to his dad today and told his dad to never go to that group of pony club again. I took him for a blast round the stubble field tonight and am seeing a glimmer that the pony wont be sold - it would be such a shame if it was !

Adults that bully kids really should be ashamed of themselves.

PennyJ

Visit site
There's many a branch run for the sole benefit of the DC's offspring :rolleyes: T'was ever thus ;)

And ever will be I fear.

How can your ordinary average family ever hope to "compete" against a family which has the wherewithal and wish to spend five figure sums on ponies/horses for their child, so their child makes it into all the teams? And the transport to match so they are able to travel "long haul" without having to worry about breakdowns etc etc... We left Pony Club a couple of years ago now, and I have to say I don't think our lives are much poorer for doing so...

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Arh but Penny - what they cant buy is the look of glee on a childs face when they get the horrid 13.2 welshie through the water complex ! You know the type of pony that just throws a strop every so often and makes its kids fall off loads, but has a heart of gold really and adores its little masters.

Tell me how often you see these spoilt kids with a smile on their faces, and the best part about it is when the mother is giving spoilt kid a right ole rollocking for only getting 72% on a horse that cost the same as her first house !

You have to pity them really - they will never know the buzz of doing something on their own or working for something and just see how many top end ponies they get through - oh and just wait till they get onto horses and it all goes to pot :)

Boysy

Visit site
Our PC must be a bit lacksadasical, my daughter rides and competes in a Hackamore with a Troxel helmet with a PC approved purple tag thingy on it. The only thing she isn't allowed her Hackamore for is dressage. Our DC didn't even realise that she needed written permission for the bitless - LOL!

scrunchie

Visit site
I've been thinking about letting my daughter join PC for quite some time but I've always been worried that we won't fit in. I didn't come from a horsey family so I've no idea what to expect.

Is it worth it?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think some of these posts are a bit harsh/petty!

My step son is a pony club member. Yes they can drive me mad some of the time, and it can be a bit committee central, but thats usually because nobody else bothers to help. I've run a couple of things for our local branch this year, and its shocking how many mothers sign their kids up for things and then don't turn up or even bother to tell you. No wonder some team managers use their own kids for teams - they know they'll show up! My son also has a average cob type pony that didn't cost the earth, yet it has taught him so much confidence wise, and regularly beats the expensive ponies in all disciplines. Just because they buy expensive animals for their darling kids doesn't mean the darling kids can ride them!

As for the rules, the club has always been based on structure and discipline, which I personally think more kids should know today. If certain boots haven't been accepted by the rules yet its probably because they have to check out from a legal aspect if they're safe etc - one poster on here has a story of an accident involving them... Quite a few of pc parents would not wait to sue if darling kid was injured, so everything has to be covered. The health and safety aspects that come into pc are unbelievable nowadays.

Scrunchie, definately find a pony club to join and don't worry, there are all sorts of people and children at them. Within each area (region) there are usually a variety of branches - some are more competitive than others, some are fairly low key. What they all generally have is a wealth of fun and instruction for children, and 90% of children love pony club.

Dubsie

Visit site
I agree that some posts here are a bit harsh. I don't think campaigning to PC is the way to go, definitely campaign to the manufacturer for PC approval - which they should do as they'll surely sell a lot more?

I worried would we fit in with PC, and surprisingly it's fine. Not met anyone with really posh or expensive horses, most have the hard work type (you know the sort that try to evade the jumps or stick their head down, typical pony!) that cost a couple of grand or a lot less, or a loan pony, and it's the kids who go to the training sessions and actually improve that get chosen for the teams. I heard the DC turning down a girl with a lovely pony for the one team because although she would probably score extremely well for the branch she hadn't put in any effort at all over the year.

Most parents have ancient trailers and equally old cars to tow, only the farriers kids and one or two others seem to have boxes. My daughter has made loads of friends, and actually a lot of the parents are quite down to earth and a lot of fun. And the cakes are good. Yes there are the stereotypes and yes the DC is a stickler - but we wouldn't do half so well (in minimal time) at tack & turnout without the discipline taught and then drilled in for rallies. It's actually speeded daughter up so much in getting the pony ready that we have loads more time and never feel rushed for getting to events and competitions now.

I'd suggest have a look round at the PCs locally, there's usually a couple you can get to in most areas that are fairly well populated, see what each offers, whre they train and how easy it is to get to. Some do more than others, some focus on certain disciplines, so see what suits - look at their calendars and see what's on. Then go and visit while they have a rally or a training session, see what is involved and meet a few people. If you like it then join, if not perhaps try a riding club, some have very good junior sections.

Tnavas

Visit site
How glad am I that here in New Zealand Pony Club and Horse Society have merged rules, the only exception is that Pony Club has a gear check prior to competition.

A few years ago there was initially concern over the mixed use of the Mountain Horse range but it was decided that the boots were very safe to use.

hairycob

Visit site
Do look around & find a branch that suits you. Our local branch is fairly small & not snobby at all. When my son joined he had a 22 yo ex riding school pony. I only got into riding at 40 so know how intimidating it can seem when every body else seems to have been born on a horse

tinap

Visit site
Well I see both sides of pc!! My daughter is a member at a very working man's club!! We're all common as muck (& proud of it lol!!) , have to do everything on the cheap & no-one gives two hoots if you turn up on a scruffy, hairy pony wearing a £20 bridle as long as they are clean & safe!! & I must say they are the best bunch of kids & parents ever!! We've only around 45 members (high unemployment & lack of horse owners in the area) but they all get on in a great gang!! & we are pretty relaxed in the rules (ie - you can wear a red jacket, coloured numnahs & bling)

Which then brings me to the other side of kids being eliminated or not allowed to compete at area because they have 1 diamonte on their spurs!!! What harm can that lonesome diamonte do??!!!! I do really think the rules need a really big update!!!!

jomiln

www.westendfarmstud.co.uk
Going back to the Mountain Horse boots we fell foul of this rule in July at an Area Competition we had done the dressage with no problem but the tack checker at the show jumping told us we couldnt compete in these boots - this rule has come in this year.
Again we bought these boots as they fitted.
I did contact Mountain Horse who said they had a warning that they werent useable at PC on the childrens boots pages but as my daughter is 16 we were buying adults boots so no warning was visable.
They have now changed the wording on their website and have asked all their retailers to do so as well which I noticed Derby House where I got our boots from changed their website that week.
I did then have to go down the Boots & Gaiters route just for Pony Club!!!!

Tnavas

Visit site
tinap555
The problem then if one diamante gets through the next time someone has two and so on. A lot of the presentation is an etiquette thing and gives the sport its elegance. It never matters how much something costs as long as it is safe, clean and in good order.

Most of my stuff is second hand - I look for expensive gear that someone else is selling off - I get the best of both worlds that way without the expense.

Anyone who competes needs to know the rules and if they don't they need to read them before entering a competition so they avoid any risk of being eliminated for an infringement.

tinap

Visit site
Oh I understand that Evelyn but what I mean is why not let them wear bling?! They are kids (most of them) & it doesn't hurt!!

Most of our members live off ebay! I've got some cracking 2nd hand tack too & luckily I am really gend up on the rules as my daughter competes at quite a high level - its just frustrating trying to explain to the newer kids/parents why you can't have that diamonte though :D xx

Horses24-7

Visit site
I'm planning on joining my daughter in the new year, can anyone from the midlands (Nottingham) area pm me any advice as to which branch to join?

Really don't want to join one full of stuffy people! ;)

I just want my daughter to have fun with her pony and not made to feel pressured and inadequate!

Thanks x

pricklyflower

Visit site
I haven't joined our PC this year as after camp last year my daughter came home in tears after the DC screamed at her for rinsing out her pony's feed bucket. It's what we do at home. We've also had some issues with the DC at other club events where she wants her child to jump bigger in their class at PC and at every other club too and I was one of the only ones to stand up and say I wasn't happy. Now at every event the family are at I get snidey