Pony Club - what age/standard of riding is it best to join?

mystiandsunny

Visit site
I have a 4 year old son, who has just begun to hack out (with me on foot), off the lead-rein in walk and trot. He is learning to canter on the lead rein/lunge. We spent last year developing balance with a ride once a week, so this year I guess will be about riding off the lead rein in all situations (really looking forward to hacking with us both riding!), riding more often, perfecting cantering and learning to jump. In a year, he will be 5 and confident off lead. Do I start pony club then, or shows at 5 and PC at six? Trying to think about this now as it might affect when we need to get our own little pony rather than sharing my friend's.

Last edited:

Fiona

Visit site
Go for it :)

My wee boy joined at 3 (before he could rise to the trot) and two years later he's charging about cantering and jumping on his pony and has made so many pc friends..

Fiona

rowan666

Visit site
I'll be signing my little one up when she turns 4 although she's been riding for a good year now and still can't even manage to hold the reins propperly, still on the lead and has only in last few months not required a second pair of hands to hold her on! Needless to say she's barely past walk bless her, I'm hoping pony club will bring her on quicker, it worked wonders for my friends daughter

Lizzie66

Visit site
I'd go for it now, at that age keeping them enjoying it is what its all about and this is so much easier at that age with friends.

tootsietoo

Visit site
Depends on your pony club, ours is great for the little ones as there are lots of lead rein rallies, and they start from 4. Don't be in a big rush to let him off the lead rein, 5 is still very tiny and it sometimes makes me wince to see the teeny ones whizzing round of the lead when it would only take a tiny change in direction or speed for them to plop off, and their confidence is so easily damaged. And I speak as one who was desperate to see mine off the lead at that age! Confidence really is two steps forward one step back all the time, and everything you can do to preserve it is good. You're usually better with a slightly smaller/slower pony than you think you need. Pony Club is great because it's usually a controlled enclosed safe environment and still lots of fun for them. If your pony club does mounted games that is fabulous for getting them to learn control and balance while not even realising they're learning because they're having so much fun.

Fiona

Visit site
Depends on your pony club, ours is great for the little ones as there are lots of lead rein rallies, and they start from 4. Don't be in a big rush to let him off the lead rein, 5 is still very tiny and it sometimes makes me wince to see the teeny ones whizzing round of the lead when it would only take a tiny change in direction or speed for them to plop off, and their confidence is so easily damaged. And I speak as one who was desperate to see mine off the lead at that age! Confidence really is two steps forward one step back all the time, and everything you can do to preserve it is good. You're usually better with a slightly smaller/slower pony than you think you need. Pony Club is great because it's usually a controlled enclosed safe environment and still lots of fun for them. If your pony club does mounted games that is fabulous for getting them to learn control and balance while not even realising they're learning because they're having so much fun.

Agree completely with all this.. We've loaned a v small elderly completely safe pony for the first off lead year and she has made such a difference. Hopefully he will be back on his chestnut by next summer. We are waiting eagerly for the winter games rallies to start, as they definitely do learn without realising.

Fiona

Dubsie

Visit site
Depends on your pony club. Ours has a great following of under 10s, they started small and carried on! We have several lead rein 4/5 year olds, so there's always something going on - both theory and practical so not all on the pony, and it gives them confidence doing stuff with others the same level, and encourages them to do more with their friends.