Pony from Scotland to Norway. Anyone done it?

Dry Rot

Visit site
I've had an enquiry for a Highland pony (weaned foal) to go from the north of Scotland to Norway. Anyone done it?

I'm assuming it has to be done via the tunnel, then Denmark, etc. but I really don't have a clue. Gillies and John Parker? Just thought I'd ask here first.

Anyone?

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Agree with Britestar - but if not Ive seen horseboxes on the Hull- Rotterdam ferry and the Newcastle one..maybe something sails from Rosyth?

Dry Rot

Visit site
I think I'd insist the client uses a professional horse transporter? I've exported to Germany, but Norway may be too far for a youngster.

crabbymare

Visit site
best to speak to one of the professional companies. but we used to get danish horses (they were older and ridden though) back by ferry from esjberg so its possible they could go that way as well as hull or harwich to rotterdam and overland then ferry or via the channel and overland.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Wouldn't use Gillies for a weanling. It's the sort of job Roland Holmes might do. Much more of a personal touch with him compared to gillies and Haylage is fed on board unlike gillies.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Not Scotland or Norway but North Yorkshire to Sweden. He was a very well bred show pony colt. They came over for a few day, complete with car and trailer. There was some minor delay with him leaving as he had some marks that might but weren't ring worm. Once that was sorted and off they went. I was absolutely horrified at the time, but no one else thought it was an issue and it turns out it wasn't. Not something I would do, but they did and it was fine, so what do I know!

Goldenstar

Visit site
The way would a a journey set up by a international carrier by shifting the pony between carriers for it to do the journey in stages I fear any other way would be very very expensive .
Of course a single trip by a carrier would be best but the cost would be ekkkk.
My choice would be for a private trip if the owners are competent and ferry to the horse directly to Norway.
Not what I would chose for a very young pony .

Dry Rot

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Quite surprised at the response, frankly, good old HHO again! :)

The proposition is highly speculative at the moment as communication is difficult, not least because of language problems. I am a bit fussy where my ponies go anyway and the intending purchaser still needs to be checked out!

The plan now seems to be to export to Sweden where the client's daughter has horses and land, then transport on to Norway later by private transport. But as I say, early days.

Thanks everyone. Your advice is much appreciated. I do believe in exporting as it 'spreads the word' but if the same pony can be sold closer to home for the same money and to as good a home, why do it? Especially a youngster.

millikins

Visit site
I follow a Shetland pony driving FB group. There is a strong contingent driving in Norway and Finland with some fabulous ponies so most/some of them must be exports, might be worth contacting Shetland society to see if any transport links with them.

EventingMum

Visit site
A family I knew used to take their daughter's pony on holiday to Norway, the father was Norwegian and they spent the summer there. They went by ferry from Aberdeen with the pony in a trailer - I have no idea of the logistics but the pony appeared fine on his return home.

GemG

Visit site
Small mare (in foal) went from SW Scotland -> Switzerland with Gillies (this could now be 10-15 years ago!) - all went well and was fairly reasonable at the time cost wise.

Good luck :)

Vixxy

Visit site
I have exported from the UK to Norway and from Norway to UK numerous times to stock my riding school, move personal horses and for dealing. I have used a few various transporters throughout the past 13 odd years. They always go on a shared load from South, across Europe and then from Sweden into Norway. Import tax into Norway for buyer is a killer though. I always tend to prefer John Parker, they do the route to Norway very regularly.

As far as I am aware the ferry from Newcastle to Norway stopped running a number of years ago. I don't think any routes have restarted. In any case the cheapest method is to get the pony or horse down South to a holding yard (Parkers offer this) and then they go from there. Parkers will sort out all of the travel legalities (such as blood test and vet check 24 hours before crossing and route plan to include the stable rest stops legally required along the way).

Every horse and pony I have done this trip for has been fine, no issues :)

In regards to importing bit for customs clearance I have always used BL Shipping (a Norwegian firm), they know their stuff for the paperwork.

If I can help you or the potential buyer in Norway I am more than happy to do so, just PM me.

Dry Rot

Visit site
I asked the client for names and addresses and more information etc. I've been given the URL of a transport company (that I haven't looked at) and nothing more. So I don't know the destination address which would be quite useful! It's been a few days now so I am assuming this is a time waster. The language difficulties and strange phraseology seem to confirm that. Oh well, it takes all sorts. I've learnt that it can be done anyway just don't think I want to be involved on this occasion. Thanks everyone.