Pony licks lips when she see's me

Katiesmum

Visit site
Looking for some advice.
My new pony who has had a previous 'colourful' life with past owners.
I couldn't get near her for the first few weeks of her arriving, but now when I go to her paddock she's first to the gate.
However I've noticed over the last few days when she see's me arriving at the paddock she walks over licking her lips and follows me around (not baulsy).
I've never witnessed a pony do this before
P. S. I have nothing in my hand to feed her with when I approach (treats etc)
What does this mean?
Excuse me if I'm being a tad silly but I've never seen a pony do this before.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The only time I've ever seen it happen was when an old owner cam to visit one of my horses. It is said to be a sign of the horse ingratiating itself with the person. YOungsters will sometimes do this to older horses, if they are unsure. Some of the NH exponents want the horse to do that, personally, I prefer a more equal partnership with my horses. I would guess that your horse is still working out what you expect and what sort of a relationship you will have. I would just carry on as normal and the horse will probably work its way through this phase and into the next one.

Katiesmum

Visit site
I've never seen it happen before so was unsure.
She has recently been introduced to the herd and has had a few days off from groundwork to allow her to settle.
She just follows behind me. I've been sitting in the field and she breaks away from the herd to come over now and again for a scratch or to sniff.

Shay

Visit site
"Licking and chewing" and "Clacking" are two different behaviours. Youngstock will clack their teeth at older herd members - they sort of flop their lip and nod vigorously so the teeth and lips "clack" together. Its a deeply submissive sign - they are saying "I'm young don't hurt me". I wouldn't expect to see that in a mature animal. Licking and chewing is part thinking and part "let me back in" - and that is the behaviour an NH practitioner would look for. It isn't a youngstock trait particularly. Following you - as long as she is not trying to move you or herd you - is also an indication that she wants "in" with your herd. But be careful that what she is doing is not in fact subtly herding you - which is dominant.

Either way - Pearlsinger is right. Keep doing as you are doing. She is responding to you and hopefully in a positive way.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I've never seen it happen before so was unsure.
She has recently been introduced to the herd and has had a few days off from groundwork to allow her to settle.
She just follows behind me. I've been sitting in the field and she breaks away from the herd to come over now and again for a scratch or to sniff.

That sounds as if she is seeking out your company. She is probably enjoying the change in regime from her previous home. I used to have a mare who had been mistreated in a previous home, although not the one I bought her from, where she had only been for a few months. She was very wary of all people at first but then wanted to spend time with 'her' people. I think it helped that her field companion was also ours. Enjoy building your relationship with her, as she learns to trust you.