Pony may be stolen

spottytom

Visit site
Could you offer some advice. My friend bought a little shetland from my YO around 5 years ago as company for her horse - both kept at a farm nearby. Last evening she called me to tell me that a large (new looking) white van pulled up at her yard and a young couple got out, with three young children and mother heavily pregnant. To cut the story short - they say that the shetland is theirs and they want him back. They say they have his passport and want him back. Other than that they would not give much more information. Friend told them she has his passport (he didnt come with one) and she also had him microchipped and she has a receipt for him. They said they would come back tomorrow (today) with his passport and they will also bring a receipt. Friend asked them for their name and a contact number, but they refused. Friend is absolutely traumatised - her ponies are her children and the shetland needs careful managing as he is prone to lami. Police are not interested. Any advice welcome!

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
This could well be a scam. I would suggest immediately moving the horses to another location to avoid them being stolen. I would also get them both Freezemarked and Microchipped and take a digital photo from each side of them so that if they do go missing their pictures can be circulated quickly together with their Freezemark and Micro-chip details. In the event of them being stolen immediately report it to the police and ask for an incident/crime number and also report to Horsewatch UK Horse Alliance.

spottytom

Visit site
This could well be a scam. I would suggest immediately moving the horses to another location to avoid them being stolen. I would also get them both Freezemarked and Microchipped and take a digital photo from each side of them so that if they do go missing their pictures can be circulated quickly together with their Freezemark and Micro-chip details. In the event of them being stolen immediately report it to the police and ask for an incident/crime number and also report to Horsewatch UK Horse Alliance.

Thank you PeterNatt. I have advised her to move them and I believe she is going to speak to my YO. I am at work at the moment but will go up as soon as I finish to offer help. Ponies are both chipped and she has many many pics. Unfortunately little shetland is almost white and no other markings at all. I will advise her to report to Horsewatch.

spottytom

Visit site
Does the YO have a receipt from when they acquired the pony? Passport not proof of Ownership.

Yes, she knows passport is not proof of ownership. Previous owner (my YO) does not have the receipt any more. She bought pony off a gentleman who said his grandchildren had lost interest - for pennies. Field where pony used to live is now a housing estate.

be positive

Visit site
My first thought is it is a scam, if the pony was theirs why has it taken 5 years to track it down if it was in the area the whole time, I would be taking extra precautions for security and hope they were just on a scouting exercise.

In the meantime just in case I would suggest she speaks to the YO who sold him just to ensure the story is not true, if it is possible the story is true I still think the 5 year gap still needs explaining, the passport alone proves nothing, I suspect there are numerous shetlands that look alike and even if they are genuine it would be hard to prove ownership from passport markings alone.

Landcruiser

Visit site
Absolutely agree re moving the pony to a safe location. Then wait and see. If it was their pony, then they should be able to provide proof - photos, passport, maybe vet or dentist records, old lost/stolen posters. I suspect it's "buyer beware" if the pony does turn out to belong to someone else - if the boot was on the other foot, would your friend want her pony back if it had been stolen and she managed to track it down? It's a tough one, I don't know what the legal standing is (although suspect if the old "owner" had pony insured and had a pay out for the loss, that's effectively writing it off.

spottytom

Visit site
Thank you everyone. Unfortunately it would be difficult to secure the yard he is currently on as it is a busy little smallholding and tractors etc are in and out all day. My friend immediately called my YO (from whom she bought the pony) and she has given her all the information she can remember. If I had been there there would have been a lot of questions I would have asked these "white van" people, but I can imagine my friend getting into a state. It would be like taking a child off her.

I am going straight up there after work and I think it would be best to move both if possible. Unless these people can produce more evidence it seems like it is one receipt against another. And, yes, I can imagine how I would feel if I had had my pony stolen, but this story just doesnt feel right.

And yes, my first thought was "unsavoury travelling people" - but I wasnt there.

Reactions: TPO

Leandy

Visit site
They are chancers. If they appear again, tell them to come back with proper verifiable evidence of the police record made when they reported the pony stolen and proper ID for themselves, and if they do, you're happy to accompany them to the police station to verify it. If someone genuine had at long last tracked down their stolen much loved pony, do you think they would really bring the whole family including small children along to confront the current "owner" at a first meeting?? I think not.

spottytom

Visit site
To be honest all the above are my worries. I didnt meet these people myself and I have so many questions. Hopefully friend has managed to either take day off or get up to her yard early. I shall be straight up after work, but hopefully she will have plans in place by then. Her yard owners live on site and ex Police Chief lives opposite main gate into her yard. He is aware, but I dont know what advice he gave, if any. I agree that in the interim the best thing is to move both ponies. Poor woman has had enough bad luck this year so far, without all this extra worry. I will keep you updated and thanks for all the advice.

spottytom

Visit site
They are chancers. If they appear again, tell them to come back with proper verifiable evidence of the police record made when they reported the pony stolen and proper ID for themselves, and if they do, you're happy to accompany them to the police station to verify it. If someone genuine had at long last tracked down their stolen much loved pony, do you think they would really bring the whole family including small children along to confront the current "owner" at a first meeting?? I think not.

I am tempted to agree. The fact that they would not give their names or a contact number would have had me bloody suspicious and I think that if she had tried to take a pic of their van reg they may have fled.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It sounds like a scam to me!
A genuine person who had just found their missing pony would have had loads of stories about where it was kept, when it went missing, where they looked for it, who they asked about it and photos of the pony with family members. They would have been able to talk about how the pony came to be missing (was it moved from its field, or went missing on loan, or what?).

Definitely move the ponies to somewhere quite a distance away, even if you have to enlist help on here and if these people turn up again demand proof. Talk to the police about a potential breach of the peace, in order to get them to visit the yard.

spottytom

Visit site
The ponies definitely need moving .
This will be a scam .

I agree, on the face of it. However I wasnt there and dont know if, for instance, they new the pony's name, age, where it had come from, plus any other bits of history that only previous owners might know. I dont know how much my friend asked - she was in such a state I doubt she asked much at all. However, the fact that they would not give their name or phone number is enough really I suppose.

Visit site
Shetlands have many whorls. Usually they have identifying ones on their forehead as they dont like being the same as any other member of the horse population! It is also quite rare to have whorls on their necks. Whorls should have been recorded in the passport identification page. I know passports arent proof of ownership but bt having pictures, a microchip and a passport with both bits of info in will help if the pony does go walkies.

And if thet do turn up again demand to see the passport to compare the identification page to the pony in question.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Previous owners wouldn't know the pony's name, unless they are saying it was
I agree, on the face of it. However I wasnt there and dont know if, for instance, they new the pony's name, age, where it had come from, plus any other bits of history that only previous owners might know. I dont know how much my friend asked - she was in such a state I doubt she asked much at all. However, the fact that they would not give their name or phone number is enough really I suppose.

Unless they are saying that the pony was stolen whilst on loan, why would the pony have the same name now as it had with them? There are so many holes in this story!

meleeka

Visit site
My guess it’s travellers who thought of a good story to get themselves a free Shetland. I’d move the pony pronto and not engage in any further conservation with them.

spottytom

Visit site
Shetlands have many whorls. Usually they have identifying ones on their forehead as they dont like being the same as any other member of the horse population! It is also quite rare to have whorls on their necks. Whorls should have been recorded in the passport identification page. I know passports arent proof of ownership but bt having pictures, a microchip and a passport with both bits of info in will help if the pony does go walkies.

And if thet do turn up again demand to see the passport to compare the identification page to the pony in question.

All good advice, thank you. Cant say I have noticed his whorls, but hopefully the passport has recorded some.

spottytom

Visit site
Previous owners wouldn't know the pony's name, unless they are saying it was

Unless they are saying that the pony was stolen whilst on loan, why would the pony have the same name now as it had with them? There are so many holes in this story!

I dont know if the pony has the same name - that is something I would have asked them and many other questions if I had been there. I was presuming that rather than it being stolen that it had been sold without their permission (same thing I suppose) but then might have taken his name with him. Nothing really proves anything at the end of the day if we cant trace the chap that sold him to my YO. And if both people claiming he is theirs, both have receipts and passports.

I hope that by saying "their are so many holes in this story" you are not intimating that I am making it all up?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I dont know if the pony has the same name - that is something I would have asked them and many other questions if I had been there. I was presuming that rather than it being stolen that it had been sold without their permission (same thing I suppose) but then might have taken his name with him. Nothing really proves anything at the end of the day if we cant trace the chap that sold him to my YO. And if both people claiming he is theirs, both have receipts and passports.

I hope that by saying "their are so many holes in this story" you are not intimating that I am making it all up?

No, sorry, I meant the 'visitors' story!

spottytom

Visit site
Could your YO offer a temporary home? I'm another who read this and thought I'd want those horses shifted for a week or so.

This is what I am hoping has happened while I have been at work today. It was certainly one of the things I suggested to my friend on the phone last night. I personally have a spare stable and the stable next to mine is empty. However I think that grazing somewhere pretty secluded might be better - although they do live on-site at my yard. We have good security, but still got burgled a few years back - they came through fencing and across adjoining fields, rather than through the yard gate! At the end of the day I am hoping that it was an attempt at a quick scam and they dont come back. But you cant risk anything.