Pony price for a cob. Unsure what to advise.

exracehorse

Visit site
Hi. My good friend helps to run a riding school. They don’t have a schooling ring. So the ponies hack out for miles every day across the fields. Due to her semi retirement.. the owner is looking to sell her own pony .. She’s a 13.3hh med weight cob. Age 9. She’s not a flashy type. Prob never done any dressage ?. Will trot over poles. Lunges. Has had kids up on lead rein. Grandchildren on her. Been dressed up for fancy dress. She is what she is. Good points .. fab to hack out. Not sharp or silly. Rides in ALL weathers. Will pop a small log. But never really jumped. As she only rides out with others, likes the company of another equine. I don’t know if she will go out alone. She doesn’t head shake. She does wear a nose net when pollen high when out on the rides. She’s perfect for a happy hacker owner who can go with others from the yard or perhaps daughter ? She also likes company in the fields as they are all turned out together. Would include all tack and rugs. We’re Suffolk/Essex border. So prices are higher. She was thinking 800 pounds. But I’m sure she’s worth more than that. Any advice I can give to her would be lovely. 4BEA4AF4-5CD3-42F0-AA76-AF0956DA27AF.jpeg

Attachments

• 423E914E-6D4C-40AE-A5A5-85128496F5FE.jpeg
    423E914E-6D4C-40AE-A5A5-85128496F5FE.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Nasicus

Visit site
£800 including tack and rugs? I'd snap your hand off and get the bill of sale in writing and notarized ?
I'd be saying £3-4k too, £800 at the moment and some dealer will scoop her up and flip her for £4k+ the very next day!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My pony is like the one the OP mentions: I would be asking considerably more than £900! That is a crazily low price. I bought my current coblet mare (profile pic) for that when she was only a just-backed 4yo and if I was selling her now as rising 9 I'd be asking somewhere in the £5000 mark. She's good to do, easy to ride, hacks solo and will go first or last. No vices and a real sweetie. Ponies like this fetch their price.

exracehorse

Visit site
Thank you all. I’ve told her that 3,500 would be a min pride guide. Based on your information. She’s sent me loads of videos and photos. That pony will stand all day tied up. She has had other people ride her solo around the yard fields. But don’t think she’s actually gone off solo down the lane. However .. the right loving home is what the owner is looking for. It’s not about money.

JGC

Visit site
She should bear in mind that if she prices too cheaply, she is much less likely to get a forever home and much more likely to get a dealer.

Given that she was originally considering selling for 800 pounds, would she not consider a loan?

exracehorse

Visit site
She should bear in mind that if she prices too cheaply, she is much less likely to get a forever home and much more likely to get a dealer.

Given that she was originally considering selling for 800 pounds, would she not consider a loan?
I can ask her. Don’t think she considered that option.

Reactions: JGC

J&S

Visit site
My companion pony is a very similar type, a little smaller and one colour, but she also came from a retiring RS owner. I snapped her up for the £200.00 asking price and have no intention of passing her on but strangely she was one of the last to go. She was described to me on the phone as being "not very pretty" but i think she is beautiful!

millikins

Visit site

This. I'm not currently looking but her type would suit me when my old boy eventually wants to retire, I'm 61 this year, no longer bounce and would mainly want to hack and lead my grand daughter for a little plod until she's big enough to learn properly. I wouldn't pick up the phone for an £800 pony, I'd assume there was something very wrong with it.

Equi

Visit site
£800? In todays market? No way unless the owner really knows someone and really likes them. On the open market she would be at least a few grand being that she is still young enough to learn to school but has a solid hacking base and unspoilt.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Beautiful pony ! I paid £800 for Shy as a three year old 10 years ago ! Prices have certainly rocketed. I was even sitting on him sawing branches down to clear our bridleway not long ago. Worth their weight in gold !

Please don't consider the RDA option, those ponies lead a very busy, boring life, I was a volunteer for many years and always felt sorry for the ponies ?

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
Please don't consider the RDA option, those ponies lead a very busy, boring life, I was a volunteer for many years and always felt sorry for the ponies ?
RDA groups are not all the same. The group I am involved with the ponies live out in stable groups all year round. The small ponies and oldies only work for a couple of hours on a Saturday morning. The larger ponies and horses get hacked out, on the common, by the volunteers during the week and there are three morning sessions a week for RDA riders. Most riders get taken out on the common, as well as some work around the premises and in the large outdoor arena. There is an indoor for really wet weather and nearly all the carriage driving is done on the common.