Pony reared when pulling mane, transferred to under saddle!!

Fiona

Visit site
Afternoon all...

I'm really looking for positive storied here and advice, as I'm really beating myself up about it.

My son has owned his 12hh Welsh sec A for 15 months, and though we've had issues with last minute run outs, she's always been super to handle otherwise.

We were attending a championship WH stay away show last weekend, and in preparation I tried to pull her mane lightly on Thursday evening. She was not happy at all with this, and stood on her back legs 4-5 times so it was pulled very lightly (5 min session at the most) and we left it at that. Hubby was holding her, I was pulling.

We travelled to the show on Fri, to compete on Sat.

You could have knocked me down with a feather when after behaving amazingly in the warm up, she reared in the holding area just before they were due to go in and jump because son asked her to stand still. 7yo son was amazing, really brave, and went nearly straight in to jump a lovely clear (placed 4th). She stood in the line up for this class no problem, and for the judge.

Had another class later on, and I led her around before he went in, and she jumped a lovely clear again, and stood for the judge for the showpiece etc.

However this show does the final placings for 1st to 10th in the evening performance, so we had to wait and go in the main arena later.

She walked trotted and even cantered as a group in the main arena (banners, lights, judges) with no issues not even a spook, then came in to stand in line. There was a bit of a delay (steward checking numbers etc) and I could see she was getting annoyed, and next thing she went up again :(

A steward then held her reins very sensible, he got his rosette, and he was led out. Child in floods of tears because he didn't get his lap of honour (was 5th).

Please help me good people of HHO, and reassure me I haven't ruined this amazing pony.

I've contacted our physio to have her back checked, and will get vet too if it would be needed (teeth?)

We have PC rally tomorrow night, and I will speak with instructor and ask that she not be asked to stand, or that I or he can hold her.

We have no more showing outings planned for the next month or so, should I make a point of not showing for a while, and when SJ just not ask her to stand before she goes into the ring???

How can I get her to forget this awful habit.

BTW - child sat amazingly in both incidents and didn't fall off.

Any help appreciated...

Fiona

mle22

Visit site
The atmosphere at this show can really wind up any pony or horse, particularly the evening performance. All the noise and anticipatory nerves! While they are moving they can cope, but standing around can cause them to lose the plot a bit. It may just have been that.

Fiona

Visit site
The atmosphere at this show can really wind up any pony or horse, particularly the evening performance. All the noise and anticipatory nerves! While they are moving they can cope, but standing around can cause them to lose the plot a bit. It may just have been that.

I just so hope its that...... Praying, never mind hoping.

She has been as good as gold, albeit sharp up until now, and her behavior at the show the other 99.99% was exemplary.....

FIona

Michen

Visit site
Honestly I don’t think I’d put your son on the pony until you’ve had all the checks done. Pony may rear even if not asked to stand still, and having had a rearer very nearly go over on me I wouldn’t put any child on one without thinking the problem had been solved. You can’t guarantee it’s only going to happen when asked to stand, pony now has a bit of a habit.

Could she have hurt her neck etc, pulling back against the rope when you were pulling her mane?

I’d do back/teeth etc then try and find a small professional (easier said than done I know) to take her out and put her in similar situation once that’s all ruled out.

I just really wouldn’t put your son on her until you’ve found the source. I had a mare that only ever reared when napping to go out hacking alone. I rode her in the school and she randomly, out of no where just stood up and the only reason she managed to get herself forward again was because she was such an accomplished rearer. I was wearing country boots and they didn’t slip out of the stirrups, it was terrifying. I would never have got on her if I had thought there was a risk her rearing trigger could happen elsewhere.

Last edited:

Fiona

Visit site
And I forgot to mention...

She is ridden in a single joint wilkie snaffle and grackle noseband. No martingale. Will also go in a normal eggbutt and cavesson, but is strong when jumping/cantering for a child. I can ride her in eggbutt.

And it normally turned out 24/7 (apart from at this show obviously)...

Fiona

be positive

Visit site
I suspect she either hurt herself during the mane pulling, possibly just a bit sore where the hair had come out or that she was already sore and that is why she objected to the pulling, little welsh mares can be extremely sensitive and that combined with the stay away show may have just got to her.
I would get her checked out but also try and put it behind you as best you can with your child being of the utmost importance obviously if she starts again you may need a rethink on her future with you but hopefully it was a one off.

Fiona

Visit site
I suspect she either hurt herself during the mane pulling, possibly just a bit sore where the hair had come out or that she was already sore and that is why she objected to the pulling, little welsh mares can be extremely sensitive and that combined with the stay away show may have just got to her.
I would get her checked out but also try and put it behind you as best you can with your child being of the utmost importance obviously if she starts again you may need a rethink on her future with you but hopefully it was a one off.

I didn't pull it directly after exercise the way I normally do, you've no idea how much I'm beating myself up about this :(

She's an M&M too, so no need for very short or fine mane, I literally just took out a few hairs all the way down to thin it slightly.

She was quite happy at the show to let me plait her up, take the plaits out again, tie her up etc and just generally fiddle about..

Fiona

whiteflower

Visit site
I know this is a bit out there. But is there any chance when standing you son could have held onto a bit of mane or got it caught in the reins or something and she thought you were doing her mane again ? I only ask as I have one I can't pull mane on and on the occasion I tried, everytime I touched her mane with the reins or my hands for several weeks after she would start twitching/shaking and reversing to go up. Never pull her mane now and never happened again.
Unlikely I know but just thought I'd mention as I know I felt it very strange with mine at the time.
More likely to be tension possibly from the show but I hope not as that may be a longer issue to sort.

SEL

Visit site
My physio says she's come across a few competition horses with sore necks due regular mane pulling, so hopefully they'll be able to see if there's any pain.

Can you feel anything yourself around that part? Pony reacting anywhere down the mane?

Fiona

Visit site
I know this is a bit out there. But is there any chance when standing you son could have held onto a bit of mane or got it caught in the reins or something and she thought you were doing her mane again ? I only ask as I have one I can't pull mane on and on the occasion I tried, everyone o touched her mane with the reins or my hands for several weeks after she would start twitching/shaking and reversing to go up. Never pull her mane now and never happened again.
Unlikely I know but just thought I'd mention as I know I felt it very strange with mine at the time.
More likely to be tension possibly from the show but I hope not as that may be a longer issue to sort.

Good point....

I know when I was walking round with them before the evening championship I noticed a bit of mane trapped under the numnah and I tried to pull it out. She got very cross, so I just left it and didn't persevere.

May have at least contributed even if not the whole issue...

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
My physio says she's come across a few competition horses with sore necks due regular mane pulling, so hopefully they'll be able to see if there's any pain.

Can you feel anything yourself around that part? Pony reacting anywhere down the mane?

I'll have a good feel about round her poll and down her neck...

Physio hoping to come next week, as she is at Badminton with Irish team this week the lucky thing...

Fiona

Clodagh

Visit site
Good point....

I know when I was walking round with them before the evening championship I noticed a bit of mane trapped under the numnah and I tried to pull it out. She got very cross, so I just left it and didn't persevere.

Fiona

She's a girl, it's spring, you annoyed her and she has taken the whole thing to heart, would be my view. A tiny bit of mane trapped anywhere was enough to get my ginger boy behaving like an eejit. I do hope it was just that. With the grass coming through she may well be feeling uptight anyway. I swear by magnesium (I always think it has a placebo effect for me, even if it doesn't work on the horse).
My son't first pony stood straight up with him once, out hunting when the field moved off, he never did it again. (I did bash him, which I expect is frowned upon - and is easier in a ploughed field than at a show).

Fiona

Visit site
She's a girl, it's spring, you annoyed her and she has taken the whole thing to heart, would be my view. A tiny bit of mane trapped anywhere was enough to get my ginger boy behaving like an eejit. I do hope it was just that. With the grass coming through she may well be feeling uptight anyway. I swear by magnesium (I always think it has a placebo effect for me, even if it doesn't work on the horse).
My son't first pony stood straight up with him once, out hunting when the field moved off, he never did it again. (I did bash him, which I expect is frowned upon - and is easier in a ploughed field than at a show).

Thanks Clodagh, I really appreciate it.

I did definitely annoy her, and she has taken it to heart.... Wish I'd just let her go with a straggly mane :(

FIona

Ellietotz

Visit site
Thanks Clodagh, I really appreciate it.

I did definitely annoy her, and she has taken it to heart.... Wish I'd just let her go with a straggly mane :(

FIona

Did you pull it the traditional way or with the little razor comb thing? My mare hates her mane being pulled as well, I use scissors to be fair but takes longer to blend it at the bottom so it's not a blunt cut.

Fiona

Visit site
Did you pull it the traditional way or with the little razor comb thing? My mare hates her mane being pulled as well, I use scissors to be fair but takes longer to blend it at the bottom so it's not a blunt cut.

The traditional way.... She's always been fidgety before the few times I've done it, but never such an extreme reaction.

FIona

honetpot

Visit site
The pony rears to avoid pressure, I assume you stopped pulling the mane when she reared. She is a wilkie,a curb bit, it may have a snaffle mouth piece but it works on poll pressure, and then a grackle on top with the seven year olds hands. She get tense, he gets tense = pressure she can not get away from, hence up. Not ponies fault. I think you need to rethink what you are doing, the pony will be far smarter and stronger than a seven year old.
Thining rakes and combs are far easier and kinder than pulling.

Fiona

Visit site
The pony rears to avoid pressure, I assume you stopped pulling the mane when she reared. She is a wilkie,a curb bit, it may have a snaffle mouth piece but it works on poll pressure, and then a grackle on top with the seven year olds hands. She get tense, he gets tense = pressure she can not get away from, hence up. Not ponies fault. I think you need to rethink what you are doing, the pony will be far smarter and stronger than a seven year old.
Thining rakes and combs are far easier and kinder than pulling.

I wasn't pulling her mane when she reared, I pulled her mane 24 hrs earlier before I left home.

Fiona

MissTyc

Visit site
I pulled my mare's mane a grand total one one times, 8 years ago ... She didn't forgive me for WEEKS. To this day she doesn't like her mane combed. Before the pulling, she'd been perfect with her mane. Like you, we had a championship class and I thought I'd make her looks really smart and do the mane "properly". Never again!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Good point....

Fiona

could well have done. My welsh girl absolutely loses the plot if you try to pull her mane. I had a go a few times years ago because it's a double sided hedge and really would be better if it was half as thick, but she really took great offence and then it has taken ages for her not to over react to the same kind of preparation (i.e. finding a few strands) before just solocombing.... I also try and always scoop out any mane from underneath the saddlepad though mine is most sensitive at the top of the neck.

I'd chime in with those who say do your checks so you can put your mind at rest and then assuming nothing found, try not to overthink it. And embrace the hedge!

honetpot

Visit site
I wasn't pulling her mane when she reared, I pulled her mane 24 hrs earlier before I left home.

Fiona
So people are linking it to injury, maybe, but the common thing its avoiding something, whether it physical or mental discomfort. I have had small children and small ponies and usually the cause/ solution is pretty obvious. Ponies are very smart and will soon start to say no.

Visit site
A. She is female. B. She is Welsh. C. She had a bit of mane trapped under the numnah. If it's going to get continually trapped cut it off right at the base. If you need to do her mane again do it when she is hot and a bit sweaty and at least a week before a competition.

Fiona

Visit site
A. She is female. B. She is Welsh. C. She had a bit of mane trapped under the numnah. If it's going to get continually trapped cut it off right at the base. If you need to do her mane again do it when she is hot and a bit sweaty and at least a week before a competition.

If I wasn't stressed to the hilt about it all, that's the answer I'd want to give myself....

My sense of proportion has flown out the window 😭😭

Fiona

Mari

Visit site
Don’t pull her mane. It hurts. You can have a neat tidy mane without pulling. Meanwhile you might need to do some calm quiet gentle combing of her mane & tell her what a good girl she is if she stands still, even just for a few minutes, & then leave it. (A little treat might help). I gave up pulling manes & tails a long time ago & taught myself pain free equine hairdressing.

Ellietotz

Visit site
If I wasn't stressed to the hilt about it all, that's the answer I'd want to give myself....

My sense of proportion has flown out the window 😭😭

Fiona

Don't kick yourself about it too much. These things happen and like other posters have said, she is a mare, they like to hold grudges. My mare blames me if it rains! That particular time may have bothered her more than usual so she just overreacted with some mane being stuck under the saddle. You're doing the right thing getting physio out just to be sure she hasn't done herself in by reacting like that but I'd just keep an eye on how she is, make sure physio, saddle, teeth are fine, no mane is stuck anywhere and if she still does it, then you might need to look into either pain elsewhere or getting a small adult on her but don't blame yourself, you weren't to know she was going to react like that. It can be put right whatever it is so don't worry!

Last edited:

Fiona

Visit site
Thank you ellietotz x

Really appreciate it. Physio booked, and I'm going to get the vet out later this week when I'm off to check her teeth too.

Low key PC rally this evening and the instructor is a friend, so she knows to let them walk in a circle on a long rein rather than asking her to stand in line.

Fiona

Ellietotz

Visit site
Thank you ellietotz x

Really appreciate it. Physio booked, and I'm going to get the vet out later this week when I'm off to check her teeth too.

Low key PC rally this evening and the instructor is a friend, so she knows to let them walk in a circle on a long rein rather than asking her to stand in line.

Fiona

Was there any rearing tonight? X

Fiona

Visit site
Was there any rearing tonight? X

Thank you ellietotz...

I am very pleased to report that she was perfectly behaved, and TBH he didn't even need to walk her in circles.

When the other ponies stopped and stood in the centre, she was quite happy to stand with them on a long rein, on occasion resting a back leg, so she was obviously very relaxed and chilled out.

Obviously still going to do the checks though..

FIona

Ellietotz

Visit site
Thank you ellietotz...

I am very pleased to report that she was perfectly behaved, and TBH he didn't even need to walk her in circles.

When the other ponies stopped and stood in the centre, she was quite happy to stand with them on a long rein, on occasion resting a back leg, so she was obviously very relaxed and chilled out.

Obviously still going to do the checks though..

FIona

Amazing news! Hopefully just a blip then! :)

Caol Ila

Visit site
Good news that the pony seems fine.

My Shire-TBx hates mane pulling as well. Tried it once about 18 years ago, the first year I had her, and she tried to rear. I went 'fair enough' and let her grow her mane out long. When I showed dressage, I put it up in a lattice.

sportsmansB

Visit site
Aw Fiona
When I had a sensitive mare, I used to beat myself up about anything that I did which she clearly didn't like. She was very clear when she didn't like something! She also had a looonnnggg memory.
She always got over it though. We did compromise about lots of things when it was clear that it was an issue for her, but I had to find out that it was an issue by doing it once and annoying her.
Its very hard to know if it was the mane pulling or the festival atmosphere or being away from home and not out at grass or a wrinkle in the saddle cloth or any one of a zillion things which annoyed miss Daisy - but as long as she was back to normal last night and it seems like a one off then you'll just have to chalk to down to experience. Its great that F didn't get too upset / bothered- and even better that she behaved last night.
We've had mares before who we just waited until they were sedated for another purpose before pulling a years worth of mane in one go - though thats maybe not that helpful!!