Pony riders how tall?

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Hi

Been looking for a new share horse and seen a lovely horse advertised, only problem when I called is he is only 14.2. I was really looking for something over 15h but it seems silly to miss out over 2 inches. Not worried about weight as I am confident a weslh cob will hold my 11 stone but will I look daft on him? I'm 5, 7 but ride a bit to short normally (bad habits)

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Hi

Been looking for a new share horse and seen a lovely horse advertised, only problem when I called is he is only 14.2. I was really looking for something over 15h but it seems silly to miss out over 2 inches. Not worried about weight as I am confident a weslh cob will hold my 11 stone but will I look daft on him? I'm 5, 7 but ride a bit to short normally (bad habits)

Go for it, my Haflinger is also 14.2 and Im over 11 stone ansd 5 foot 7 and weve done endurance rides of 20km all at trot and canter over very rocky terrain no prob (and she has no shoes). provided its a solid cobby type it will both carry you happily and take up your leg round its barrel middle so you wont look funny either!
FOX_7754_dg12.jpg

Hen

Visit site
It so depends on your build and way of riding, and your pony's/horse's build - a deep girthed, broad backed pony will 'soak' up your leg much more than a high withered, shallow girthed type. I'd concentrate much more on how you feel on the pony, if you feel in balance that's the important thing. I'm 6 foot 1in and the horse in my album is 14.3hh.

sami4971

Visit site
If he is what you want, then go for it! I haven't got any pics of me riding my haffie on this computer, but she is 13.3hh and I'm 5'6. I'd say size wise I look better on her than my 16.3hh. I certainly feel more comfortable with her size!

With him being a share, the worst that can happen is you have to give up the share because he feels smaller than you'd like. OR he could be exactly what you wanted and if he is, those 2 inches really don't matter.

Good luck!

Milanesa

Visit site
hi,

i am fairly small only 5ft 2 ish but i ride my datrmoor (12.2HH) still every day and she has no prob and neither do i. i love riding her, why not !!!

Your proportions sound completely fine to me, i wouldn't think twice, if you guys get on then go for it!!

Good luck!

cloudandmatrix

Visit site
Im 5'6 and i ride a 13.2hh pony. i am very leggy, and she is narrow, but then i have a very short upper body. we are both happy and comfortable :)
go for it, you sound just right :)

loulabelle

Visit site
Im 5ft 10 and ride a 13.3 gypsy cob....although I do feel a tad big for him as I have a long body and he has a rather short neck but other than that it hasnt stopped us....as others have said if you feel comfortable then what difference does and inch or 2 make

Javabb94

Visit site
go for it!

im 5ft 9/10 and i have a 15.2hh although everyone told me to get 16.2hh but i went for what i was comfortable with, especially as my last pony was 13.2hh!

at 5ft 7" you should be fine!

are you planning on doing the odd show?

sazzle44

Visit site

haha I read that as you were 5ft9/10ft! Took me a while to firgure it out lol
I'm about 5ft4 (ish) and compete a 14"2 but also feel comfortable on something of about 14hh. Was riding my 13"2 at this height as well and only stopped because I didn't feel comfortable jumping the height we were doing when I was so tall on him and didn't want to downgrade. Just give it a try and see if you feel right on him :)

Tinypony

Visit site
My friend rides my Welsh x Arab pony, who is about 14.1 hh. She is 5'8" tall and weighs about 9.5 st. They do fine together, and she has her stirrup leathers the correct length. There is no need for her heels to be able to touch him as he's a lovely ride and very responsive to the leg.

Annabel_star

Visit site
I'm 5'9 and just under 10 stone and have a 14.1hh welsh x arab as well as a 15.3hh tb. To be fair my TB is the perfect height for me and i do look slightly big on my pony but he doesnt seem to struggle to carry me.

catkin

Visit site
I am 5'7'' and my Sec D is just 14.2.
She rides big and never feels too small (in fact I often forget how close to the ground she is when I get off!!).
IME the saddle length that a smaller ned can take is the more defining limit than height, especially if they are chunkily built.

Natch

Visit site
I rode a 15.2 welsh cob and I'm 5ft 11. I also used to ride a 14hh highland pony who took up my leg amazingly well, and also a pony who I assumed was about 14.2 but when I questioned the staff closer he was 13.3 :eek:

Used to frustrate me when helping someone else to find a rider for her 14.2 welshie, because there were no end of suitable adult riders from 5'2 upwards looking for rides, but claiming they needed 16hh+ beasties :eek:

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Thanks for the pictures it makes it all look more realistic. I'm currently riding at 16,2 very chunky cob and I look a child be nice on him so it would nice to have more leg :D I would like to do sponsored rides, dressage and a bit of xc so want something that I'm not squashing.

Jayde87

Visit site
I can't see the pony having a problem carrying you at all. Welshies are hardly little weight-carriers. Lovely pictures btw everyone - just shows you that size does not matter!

Smile_and_Wave

Visit site
Im 5'11 and ride 14.2s quite regularly for clients (provided they arent skinny show pony types), my own little mare despite all my wishing is only going to finsih up about 14.3/15 i look damn silly but who cares, best horse i have ever had and shes cheaper to keep cause she is so small and easy to get on lol