Pony rodeo in Wales yesterday??

BonneMaman

Visit site
Not sure what is horrific about the thought of a rodeo in Wales?? I know a couple of welsh guys that could do with a bit of sense knocking into them!

Puzzled

Visit site
It was held as part of the attractions at Llanthony and District Show, has been for as long as I can remember, although I haven't attended for a good few years. I was told today by a friend who was there that one of the ponies broke it's legs whilst in the ring (apparently it tried to get out and hit it's leg on a post). I'm amazed they're allowed to run it.

'S'teamed

Visit site
There was a little "advertising" about this at Brecon Sales last month.
TBH the guy who was promoting it wouldn't the be the best PR guru.
And if his sons were involved in the riding, then something more akin to a clydesdale would be in order. :mad:
It should be banned IMHO

trojanpony

Visit site
also saw pics on a friends FB and also a bit horrified. She is a very horsey person (with a degree in Eq Science) but seemed to think harmless fun... dunno what to make of it tbh?

KazzOnAPiano

Visit site
That poor pony in the video looked horrified :( It is likely to be so scared of anyone getting on it's back after such a hideous experience, and for a little pony that means it is worthless now (except for meat) really doesn't it?

Enfys

Visit site
So where were the precious animal welfare agencies then?

How about they sort out their own backyard first before whinging about Calgary etc.:mad:

If people are going to hold a 'rodeo' then they need some lessons, that isn't rodeo, that's a bunch of big men, shoving a horse into a metal box and getting what they deserve. As for the fencing etc, totally unsuitable, ridiculously dangerous, laughable in a sad way, where are the H&S people?

At least bareback with no rigging the chances of them staying on are pretty minimal, there is a huge difference between this and domesticated horses that are bred to buck and are quite used to being handled and put in the shutes.

tazzle

www.funbugfund.co.uk
the back legs on those pones almost collapsing under the weight of some of those "men" .......... I use the word loosely only that they are the ones with two legs and feel the need to have their masculinity confirmed by their ability to terrify a small pone then almost squash it.

Fairynuff

Visit site
not as bad as I expected and very badly done. Its embarrassing to be honest. I doubt the ponies will be traumatised too much. Someone said a leg was broken, it's sad but it could have happened in any circumstance.

Jericho

Visit site
not as bad as I expected and very badly done. Its embarrassing to be honest. I doubt the ponies will be traumatised too much. Someone said a leg was broken, it's sad but it could have happened in any circumstance.

Agree with this. I dont agree with this at all and am appalled that this sort of thing still happens and people can stand and watch the poor things be treated like that but I looked at a number of videos from the same place over the last couple of years and the ponies ditched the riders within 5 secs and then went off to graze away from the crowds. In one I actually laughed out loud / smirk / scoff as the pony shot out of the pen and then promptly did a beautiful sliding stop and man made a swift exit. Pony trotted off.

I do agree that those ponies probably will never be ridden safely and will end up with the meat man. Poor things - to be mere cruel entertainment at the hands of men however brief